Windows host needed for a business

I have a business that needs a Windows host. They are currently with one company but feel they can do better. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for quality hosts they think would fit the bill?

Here's the company's current setup:

1GB file storage
    1GB MS SQL storage
    .ASP
    Transfer 600MB/day locally to server in one big push (not customer traffic)
    Semi-private (shared server but only a few other customers)

Currently paying about $250/month.
    Take back the web. Get Firefox
    I use FreeBSD on my desktop and servers.

I'd recommend you to consider a good configuration Windows VPS (min 1G RAM / 300G transfer per month) which should cost you somewhere under $100/mon. Do you have any preference for Windows OS (Win 2003/Win 2008)?

- Rick
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

What version and flavor of MS SQL are you on? Is it your own license?

Hello,

What do you mean by "Transfer 600MB/day locally to server in one big push (not customer traffic)"

Regards
    http://www.windowshostingasp.net/ - Windows Web hosting information and resources.

With that budget and requirements you should consider a windows dedicated server other wise chose a host who has a no-oversell guarantee on their VPS plans to ensure performance and stability.

What is the control panel you're using right now? Why do you think that they can do better with other hosting ... is it because of services issues / hardware issues or website speed issues?

Your existing site is on shared hosting / vps or dedicated server? and what is the configuration of your server?

Quote Originally Posted by sremick View Post
    I have a business that needs a Windows host. They are currently with one company but feel they can do better. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for quality hosts they think would fit the bill?

1GB file storage
    1GB MS SQL storage
    .ASP

with that budget you can get a decent dedicated server from any big webhosts like hivelocity/theplanet/softlayer ..........etc

I would suggest a dedicated server with your budget, there are many companies that will give you allot more for under $200/mo. I am curious as to what version of MS SQL (workgroup? standard? or Web?)

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    What version and flavor of MS SQL are you on?
    MS SQL 2000

Is it your own license?
    No, it's the webhost's.

Quote Originally Posted by HostingASPNet View Post
    What do you mean by "Transfer 600MB/day locally to server in one big push (not customer traffic)"
    The online app needs current data. Each night there's a massive upload of that day's data. It's not cumulative (SQL storage needs don't increase by +600MB daily)... data gets overwritten. But any throughput limits would need to allow for this much data transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by hostingcertified View Post
    What is the control panel you're using right now?
    I think it's the webhost's own custom deal. It's pretty rudimentary... there's not much you can do from it.

Why do you think that they can do better with other hosting ... is it because of services issues / hardware issues or website speed issues?
    No issues, really. Just a realization that they are way overpaying for what they are getting. I don't think they've evaluated their plan in 6-8 years or more.

Your existing site is on shared hosting / vps or dedicated server? and what is the configuration of your server?
    It's "semi-dedicated". Shared, but with not too many other hosts on the same server.
    Take back the web. Get Firefox
    I use FreeBSD on my desktop and servers.

Well, it is still more of a shared server as such. Do you consider getting a VPS for your requirements? A good config VPS covering your b/w requirements should be around $100/m as I earlier stated. However, it'd be more helpful for us to suggest you if you can let us know how much are you willing to spend now?

Rick
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

The OP did state that he was spending around $250 per month.

Personally, i'd go for a dedicated/vps - it depends on the current load/memory usage/traffic. Also, you've got to consider how critical your app is. If your service goes down do you start losing money? If so, you have to consider the quality of the host, possibly management if you don't have the server experience.

Above that, you'd be talking about load balancing/redundant servers. So, look at what you've got now, and if it covers any of the above then maybe you're not paying too much (although you don't specify what 'could do better).
    Regards,
    Leigh

Host High - reliable UK hosting

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsoftware View Post
    The OP did state that he was spending around $250 per month.
    I believe, he mentioned that they are currently spending $250 but feel they are overpaying and hence are looking for solutions with reduced price.

Quote Originally Posted by sremick View Post

1GB file storage
    1GB MS SQL storage
    .ASP

In Semi-Dedicated services you can easily get the same in $69 with Fully managed hosting.
    Gineey - JodoHost.com
    Windows VPS, HSphere Reseller, ASP.NET, ColdFusion & more!
    True 24x7x365 Live Support, Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    Hosting over 85,000+ websites across 100+ countries!

I like VPSLand.com good company good price

sremick,

Either you're being fleeced or your deal was at a very very old rate. I dont think any hosts would take $250/mo for ~2 gig disk.

The best around are probably dedicated servers for that price range.