Migrate content to new dedicated server

Hello,

Could anyone suggest to me how I can do to migrate content from old dedicated server to new one?

Many thanks

Do both of your servers have cPanel/WHM control panel or any other control panel?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Slominski View Post
    Do both of your servers have cPanel/WHM control panel or any other control panel?
    This is a requirement from my customer. I have not asked him about that yet. Could you please explain how can I do in both of these cases: have control panel and don't have control panel? Thanks so much!

If both of your servers are cPanel, the process is fully automated and is done through WHM. Some providers do help with migrations if needed. I'm sure your customer is running some sort of control panel. Just ask him which kind. Here is a good tutorial for WHM. http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=518914
    Last edited by GCM; 07-02-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dungho View Post
    This is a requirement from my customer. I have not asked him about that yet. Could you please explain how can I do in both of these cases: have control panel and don't have control panel? Thanks so much!
    If you have cPanel/WHM control panel you can use the transfer utility to migrate your data, but both servers should have cPanel/WHM. Once you login to your WHM control panel (http://ip:2086) go to the 'Transfers' section in the left hand menu and choose the appropriate link. Then all you do is fill out the requested details (old server login credentials) and you're good to go.

If you don't have a control panel you will have to do this manually through the command line (zip the data within the account and move it to the new server using scp)

Well the easiest way, you can migrate from cpanel to cpanel or plesk to plesk.

Without control panel server, number of ways first you need configure the server, migrate your data and databases.

If you provide all the info, its easy to explain step by step.

Thanks for your all replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Slominski View Post
    If you don't have a control panel you will have to do this manually through the command line (zip the data within the account and move it to the new server using scp)
    I wonder about the "contents" of the old dedicated server my customer is having. What would they be? Can all of them be migrated using both of the ways you have suggested?

About the SCP, is there any GUI software for moving data using this protocol easier?

Is it a linux server? or windows server?

Quote Originally Posted by dungho View Post
    Thanks for your all replies.

I wonder about the "contents" of the old dedicated server my customer is having. What would they be? Can all of them be migrated using both of the ways you have suggested?

About the SCP, is there any GUI software for moving data using this protocol easier?
    No there is no GUI base for SCP unless you have remote desktop access on either of your servers. Its really simple actually, just like FTP.