Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Does anyone know what's going on with AWH?

Hi,
    I'm a customer of alwayswebhosting.com and never had a problem with them. Today, I just received a message, from Paypal, saying that my subscription was cancelled by AWH and I was to try my site and it's totally off the air.
    Does anyone know what's going on with AWH?
    Thanks.

PS - I have already sent them a support ticket but no reply so far.
      0 Not allowed!

Could just be a mistake.
    They happen.
    You'll have to wait until you hear back from them.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Now I know

I have just found what is going on with my account.
    I sent a support ticket to AWH but to no avail.
    Then, I tried the phone number but it was busy.
    Then, I logged into my Paypal account to know its status and I found out that my last payment to AWH was refunded. And, there were a phone number there, so I tried the number and Ronnie, the owner of AWH, answered at the other side.
    I explained him that my site was down and I didn't know why.
    He told me that I was using too much bandwidth, arond 20GB a month, and that, for this reason, he doesn't want me as his customer anymore.
    I asked if there would be a way for an arrangement and he just said "no".

Well, let me explain that I'm an "old" customer of AWH, what means that I signed with AWH before Ronnie raised the prices and lowered the features. According to his site:
    http://forums.alwayswebhosting.com/s...p?threadid=414
    "Existing customers will remain at their LOCKED IN hosting price from the day they signed up."
    My conditions was that I had 60GB a month and I was using 20GB, so, "just" one third of what I could use.
    Then I told Ronnie: "okay, Ronnie, if you didn't want me as your customer anymore, no problem, but you could at least have warned me ten days before that you were about to disconnect my site so I could try to find another webservice and have a seamlessly transfer. But now my site is down, people are trying to access it and I don't have a way to tell people the reason why it is down"

Well, this is the story. Anyone take his own conclusion about AWH.
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry that this happened to you. It is sad that there are hosts out there that treat customers this way.
    Providing YOUR Internet Action!

www.addaction.net
      0 Not allowed!

My memory may be incorrect, but didn't a few members at WHT convince AWH to go from unlimited to a set limit (60GB?)
      0 Not allowed!

I hope you really didn't expect 60gb's transfer for $9.95
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by akash
    My memory may be incorrect, but didn't a few members at WHT convince AWH to go from unlimited to a set limit (60GB?)
    That's right
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!
      0 Not allowed!

At least one good news

Well, at least Ronnie didn't disconnect my email server so I'm still able to use my current email address (that I've been using for the last two years).
    At least, SO FAR, my email account still works.
    I don't know if Ronnie was sort of compassionate or if he just forgot about the email server.
    I guess I'll soon find out...
      0 Not allowed!

hmph

...however we do have to commend ronnie/AWH for at least refunding the money to the customer, though as viol said, he should have gotten some sort of notice....
      0 Not allowed!

No I didn't

Myacen
    I really didn't expect 60GB for just S9.95.
    What I DO expect, or expected, was that Ronnie warned me about any changes in his terms so I could react on time.
    I could pay him $16.95 for the current Gold Plan, that gives 20GB per month, but I guess that he didn't want even talk about any "arrangement" because even the actual plans should be sort of a trap.
    What I do expect is respect. I didn't disrespect Ronnie by signing his service, he did and does the plans, I'm just a customer that follow the written rules.
      0 Not allowed!

If Ronnie doesn't want you as a client [you actually use your promised plan resources], then that's his business. He's well within his right to kick you if he wants to kick you. Maybe an email from Ronnie explaining why would have been a better way to do it etc.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!
      0 Not allowed!

Haven't seen Ronnie around WHT for ages.......

I hope that if does hang around here again we can convince him once again to be a bit more realistic.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability
      0 Not allowed!

Hi Aussie Bob, tell me what's your hosting company (if any) so I know where NOT to go.

Doing business the right way is about following written rules.
    I followed Ronnie's rules to the letter.
    He didn't follow his own rules, though.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, you're right, in a loooong thread about unlimited bandwidth.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by viol
    [B]Hi Aussie Bob, tell me what's your hosting company (if any) so I know where NOT to go.
    Ha!

Anyways, viol, it's pretty bad this happened. I remember back when I was running a single site, my site was disconnected for no apparent reason by Jumpline.com, their reps would hang up the phone when we'd tell them that we paid good money to host sites, etc.

I guess there are some hosts that really don't care about their customers, and like you said... it would have been more professional to actually send you a notice.

Have you been able to retrieve your files atleast?
    Kaumil P.
      0 Not allowed!

I thought AWH dropped from 60GB to 20GB due to "peer group pressure"...?Did they ever have unlimited? *shrug*

Cheers

Gary
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Editor

I thought AWH dropped from 60GB to 20GB due to "peer group pressure"...?Did they ever have unlimited? *shrug*

Cheers

Gary
    Yes, unlimited bandwidth and space on their biggest package.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

Hi Aussie Bob, tell me what's your hosting company (if any) so I know where NOT to go.
    heh. It's his business. His rules. I'm not saying I agree with what he did. He could have at least emailed you and let you know why he was kicking you off the server. Check his TOS. I bet you find a clause in there that says he can kick anyone, anytime etc.

And yeah if you looked at my sig or pressed the little red "www" button, that takes you to my "(if any)" hosting business.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Now I know

My conditions was that I had 60GB a month and I was using 20GB, so, "just" one third of what I could use.
    His business, his rules are all fine and good, but he apparently set the rules given the quote above.

It's all fine and good to change your business strategy if you suddenly find you've screwed up by not taking the time to work out what you can afford to sell, but nuking a customer without notice because they don't fit your new 'approach' does cut it.

I like you Bob, but I think that response was flippant at best.

There's always been a serious lack of responsibilty in the webhosting industry. We're surrounded by cowboys left and right, and as a whole we're often descibed somewhere between used car salesmen and lawyers. It's hard enough to gain a reputation for solidity, and stability, without these guys just changing their own rules to suit themselves at the drop of a hat.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: Now I know

Originally posted by akashik
    I like you Bob, but I think that response was flippant at best.
    Not saying I agreed with what he did. Just saying at the end of the day, he can do what he pleases. It's his business.
      0 Not allowed!

Well, what he *should* do is deliver what he sold.
      0 Not allowed!

I think the best role that a host can take is even though it may cut into your pocket a little bit, if you advertise it, deliver it, if you promise something, keep that promise. I've opened my mouth a few times and offered something that may cut into profits, but that's my fault, and I'll deal with it. Best of luck with you in your search.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: Now I know

It's all fine and good to change your business strategy if you suddenly find you've screwed up by not taking the time to work out what you can afford to sell, but nuking a customer without notice because they don't fit your new 'approach' does cut it.
    True. We've had providers change direction (both ways) on us, after consultation and giving us time to make other arrangements if required. Some have cut back/raised prices...and we were able to plan accordingly. At least one has gone the other way (tera-byte raising the bandwidth from 100GB to 500GB overnight), so we made arrangements for that as well.

Cheers

Gary
      0 Not allowed!

You see, i have a problem with this. I have respected AWH and viewed them as a great power in the hosting buisness. However, when I offer a plan and were to ever change numbers, all of my clients will keep their hosting plan with the same price lock no matter what happens. PERIOD. I understand that Ronnie has the ability to boot everyone he pleases, but I feel the need to remind him of his own wording (regarding his limiting all the plans to *cough*realistic*cough* ones:
    Please note: Current customers will not be impacted by this change -- They will still enjoy the bandwidth limits that were offered when they joined AWH.
    source=http://forums.alwayswebhosting.com/s...p?threadid=579
    and if that isn't enough, he even says this on his signup page...
    Dear valued current and future clients...

and to close in that documentation...

Existing customers will remain at their LOCKED IN hosting price from the day they signed up.

source=http://forums.alwayswebhosting.com/s...p?threadid=414
    You see, what i have always respected about AWH was their ability to treat their clients with respect. What ever happened to that from AWH. I know they are only 10 months old and have server farms everywhere, but wow.. when did the client become less important? Viola, are you SURE it wasnt more than just over-bw usage? this just doesnt sound like Ronnie!!!

And on their Terms....

We offer varied bandwidth plans. Easy enough! If you surpass the amount your plan is on, we would be happy to discuss a dedicated server solution with you.

elsewhere...

AWH does not accept sites with the following content/links on our network:

-Sim Game Sites
    -Anime/Video Sites
    -Adult content (in any form)
    -Pirated software
    -Hacker programs or archives
    -Warez sites

Accounts that are found to have such content are subject to immediate suspension and/or termination without notice. We reserve the right to add from, modify, or otherwise addept to this list other banned programs at our completely discretion. AlwaysWebHosting.com will be the sole arbiter as to what constitutes a violation of this provision.

(and above that)...

AlwaysWebHosting.com Acceptable Use Policy and Service Guidelines

By using web hosting services provided by AlwaysWebHosting.com, you agree to comply with our policies that are designed to protect each client and ensure we can provide the best services available.

Banned Scripts/Programs from use on AWH Servers:

-ANY CGI-script powered chat room or bulletin board, including:
    -ikonBoard.cgi
    -UltimateBB.cgi
    -and others.

-Topsites .cgi scripts

-formmail.pl (spam security concerns, see link)

-IRC-related software (servers, bots, bouncers, etc.)

Accounts that are found to have such software uploaded to their web space are subject to immediate suspension and/or termination without notice. We reserve the right to add from, modify, or otherwise addept to this list other banned programs at our completely discretion.

source=http://alwayswebhosting.com/terms.html
    NOW, if this is the case, I can understand. Viola, did you break any of THOSE rules? You see, I only ask because you were peaking 20Gb (which is a big chunck of transfer). I have to ask to only be fair to AWH.

If not, I just want to let his own quotes (further above) speak for themself.
    Last edited by Geek3; 11-08-2002 at 09:17 AM.
    Geek 3 Computer Repair
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ecpHosting
    You see, i have a problem with this. I have respected AWH and viewed them as a great power in the hosting buisness. However, when I offer a plan and were to ever change numbers, all of my clients will keep their hosting plan with the same price lock no matter what happens. PERIOD....
    So let me get this straight, you would never raise prices for existing clients?

You might want to rethink that one.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob

Um.. let me rethink that one...

No, i will never raise prices for existing clients. Period. I dont know how others conduct buisness around here, but I hold true to keeping existing clients at the same prices.

Now, don't get me wrong.. if i change prices, all my new client sign-ups will reflect the new sign-up pricing. However exsiting clients will remain the same.
    Geek 3 Computer Repair
      0 Not allowed!

What's so odd about that? Stamped on our index page we have written:

"Order any akashik.net plan and never have your web hosting fees increased."

Since it was put there we've lowered prices once, and raised plan features twice. None of that would have happened if there wasn't enough profit to be able to afford it.

You know as numbers go up, costs per customer go down. Why would you need to raise prices if your ducks are all in a row? If you were running on cheap servers, using cheap bandwidth, then you might end up in a pickle. But when you're already paying a premium and you need to pick up sticks, then there's plenty of options within the same price bracket.

Greg Moore
      0 Not allowed!

Um.. let me rethink that one...

No, i will never raise prices for existing clients. Period. I dont know how others conduct buisness around here, but I hold true to keeping existing clients at the same prices.

Now, don't get me wrong.. if i change prices, all my new client sign-ups will reflect the new sign-up pricing. However exsiting clients will remain the same.
    Like no other service provider type business ever raises prices for existing clients. Gee, wouldn't it great if my phone company, electric company and every other provider of goods and services, had the same business wisdom as yourself.

We've not raised prices for existing clients. I don't intend to, but I don't rule it out. I'm thinking long term here. Each to his own.
      0 Not allowed!

What's so odd about that? Stamped on our index page we have written:

"Order any akashik.net plan and never have your web hosting fees increased."

Since it was put there we've lowered prices once, and raised plan features twice. None of that would have happened if there wasn't enough profit to be able to afford it.

You know as numbers go up, costs per customer go down. Why would you need to raise prices if your ducks are all in a row? If you were running on cheap servers, using cheap bandwidth, then you might end up in a pickle. But when you're already paying a premium and you need to pick up sticks, then there's plenty of options within the same price bracket.

Greg Moore
    well put Greg.
    Geek 3 Computer Repair
      0 Not allowed!

No, never. However, most of our clients are annual. But each year their price has lowered (aka the features/provisions of their plans have grown by 400-500%) in accordance with our offers at the time of their renewal.

It works.

Cheers

Gary
      0 Not allowed!

well put Greg.
    lol. Yeah, prices stay the same with everything. Food, petrol, electricity, telephone. You name it. Nothing goes up!!

If you lot want to lock in prices for life, then that's your right. Maybe you could have a word with Woolworths. Mrs Aussie Bob is always complaining how the prices went up with something. Petrol companies could learn a thing or 2 from that kind of business wisdom too.
      0 Not allowed!

it does in the hermetically sealed world of akashik.net

Greg Moore
      0 Not allowed!

it does in the hermetically sealed world of akashik.net
    And that's quite OK. Just please none of this "you must not ever raise prices for existing accounts". Makes no real business sense. Oh I forgot this is the internet. The same rules don't apply.
      0 Not allowed!

lol. Yeah, prices stay the same with everything. Food, petrol, electricity, telephone. You name it. Nothing goes up!!

If you lot want to lock in prices for life, then that's your right. Maybe you could have a word with Woolworths. Mrs Aussie Bob is always complaining how the prices went up with something. Petrol companies could learn a thing or 2 from that kind of business wisdom too.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt any of the places you mention have ever said they will never increase prices for existing customers.

Nobody's saying you should never raise prices. You have to remain viable, after all. But, if you state that you will never raise prices for your existing customers, then you should be true to your word.
      0 Not allowed!

Just please none of this "you must not ever raise prices for existing accounts". Makes no real business sense.
    Well it's a case of whatever floats your boat as to what makes business sense. However, and the point in question, if you make a promise to someone that you won't up the price on them, then you should honor that promise. Honesty does make good business sense, no matter who you are

Greg Moore
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt any of the places you mention have ever said they will never increase prices for existing customers.

Nobody's saying you should never raise prices. You have to remain viable, after all. But, if you state that you will never raise prices for your existing customers, then you should be true to your word.
    Far be it for me to defend Ronnie. I don't even know the chap. I don't see logic in fixing prices for life. Hey UBC, do you fix your prices for LIFE??

But, if that's what you say on your site - then you'd better keep to that. Is Ronnie under legal obligations to never raise prices or change plans?
      0 Not allowed!

Well it's a case of whatever floats your boat as to what makes business sense. However, and the point in question, if you make a promise to someone that you won't up the price on them, then you should honor that promise. Honesty does make good business sense, no matter who you are
    I agree he should honor the promise, but what I think is irrelevant. It's what Ronnie thinks that counts. It's his business and he lives with the consequences of his actions.
      0 Not allowed!

But, if that's what you say on your site - then you'd better keep to that. Is Ronnie under legal obligations to never raise prices or change plans?
    Which was why you once got pinged for what you "said" on your site. Because that's what folks will judge you on.

How much of what makes or breaks a host is related to the law? This is a morally and ethically driven industry, and the slightest change can have far more reaching effects that any courtroom decision. We can discuss and debate our own opinions and outlooks all we like (and we've done that a few times), but it counts for little at billing/renewal time (even less for non WHT inhabitants).

Folks will look back at the month/year/etc of service they have recieved, and let their dollars do the talking.

Cheers

Gary
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Editor
    Folks will look back at the month/year/etc of service they have recieved, and let their dollars do the talking.
    That's right and Ronnie's clients will enforce this right.
      0 Not allowed!

Answers

hostingplex - no, I'm not able to retrieve my files since FTP was also disconnected. Ronnie sent me an email telling that "If you have another hosting arrangement lined up, please provide the FTP information and we will gladly FTP your files/databases over for you". Since I cannot say I trust him anymore, I don't know if he would/will do this, once I find another host.

To many other guys: I am not a customer of "unlimited" bandwidth. When I signed to AWH, Ronnie's offer was 60GB. I never used 60GB, always around 20GB.

Aussie Bob - not a chance for me to click your link. 'Honesty with Integrity" ??

ecpHosting - No. Never broke any of those rules. My site is personal. It's about a game, Medal of Honor. I have (well, had) around 800 unique visitors a day (in the good times, around 1,400) and all there were in the site were walkthroughs about how to play the game. It was like this since the first day I signed with AWH. I didn't change one page in the last two months, my site was sort of an archive.

Here's the reason why Ronnie kicked me, in his own words: "We are unable to let your hosting account renew for bandwidth reasons. We usually are able to alert customers when their bandwidth has exceeded what we can offer, but unfortunately neither yourself or AWH staff noticed your site's usage until it was too late, that is why we cancelled your subscription and refunded your last payment."

Here is my last Site Usage notification (received TODAY, from Ronnie): "Your site viol.net has exceeded its bandwidth quota in the period beginning on 2002-10-01. Your quota is set to 23068672000 bytes, and your site has consumed 51483360 bytes beyond that quota"

Although Ronnie talks about a 20GB+ quota, when I signed, it was supposed to be 60GB.

Again, make each one of you your own conclusion.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast