Hybrid View

expiring domain I want & dropcatch

Hello,

Theres a domain I want, which expires on the 12th July (2009), I've done a whois, but there doesnt seem to be a registrar, all I can tell is that its nameservers (ns1/ns2) are at 'sedoparking', does sedo use a specific dropcatch company?

wait 75 days more if you want to drop catch, or you can backorder at snapnames ,godaddy or namejet!

Thanks for your advice neo

Quote Originally Posted by neo666 View Post
    wait 75 days more if you want to drop catch, or you can backorder at snapnames ,godaddy or namejet!
    I would recommend just using SnapDomains if the registar isn't GoDaddy. I say this since GoDaddy's backorder doesn't work unless they are the current registar.

snapnames.com?

GCM, I dont really know who the registrar is, all I know from the whois is the name severs sedoparking?

Quote Originally Posted by pinter286 View Post
    snapnames.com?

GCM, I dont really know who the registrar is, all I know from the whois is the name severs sedoparking?
    Yes, SnapNames. I apologize for the typo. Could you please PM me the domain and I'll be able to tell you the registar.

It is very difficult to grab the domain name through backordering, you can try out pool.com/snapnames.com like services.

Quote Originally Posted by infinite_in View Post
    It is very difficult to grab the domain name through backordering, you can try out pool.com/snapnames.com like services.
    Is there any way to try to predict if a domain will be backordered, if any of these companies are looking for it, or if there is anybody else wanting it?

A few weeks ago a .com domain with the same name of a .net domain I own expired, and ZipDomains offered it to me for $50 and a week later for $30.

I thought it would be renewed at the last moment or backordered by somebody else, but its owner let it expire and it seems eNom was hosting it and offered it to me instead of dropping it.

IDK if I should have declined and hoped for it to expire and then register it for $7, but since it was there and I had the opportunity to buy it...

But I believed all .com domains that expire were being automatically backordered by registrars, and if nobody buys them they are just sent to parking.

Another question related to the topic: do parked domains give any profit at all? Since they are dropped from search engines, after a year of being parked they will receive no visits at all, only from ppl interested to see what is hosted under the name and maybe some outdated links on some sites. How is it worthy holding domains that nobody buys?

Has anyone here first hand USED SnapNames or Pool?

Usually, the Registrar is mentioned on about line 3 of the whois info. Tell us where it is and we can tell you what you should do. What makes you think this domain is going to drop?
    Signature Under Construction.

Thumbs up

If it is generic TLD domain you may check the Whois records from the below link :

http://www.whois.ws

If it is secondary or country TLD, you need to check the whois records for the domain in the Domain Registry Whois records.

You may PM me and I shall help you to know the name of your Domain Registrar.

Good Luck ..!

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    Usually, the Registrar is mentioned on about line 3 of the whois info. Tell us where it is and we can tell you what you should do. What makes you think this domain is going to drop?
    There is no 'registrar' info.

All the information the whois gives me is this:

1. A registrant.
    2. The domain name (which I'd rather not disclose, hope you understand).
    3. Administrative Contact (same as registrant).
    4. Technical Contact, Zone Contact (same as registrant, but with email address: prowebconcepts.com).

and some additional information:

Domain created on 12-Jul-2002
    Domain expires on 12-Jul-2009
    Last updated on 01-Jul-2008

Domain servers in listed order:

ns1.sedoparking.com
    ns2.sedoparking.com

Stub, I've been reading through the tutorials, and I have a vague grasp of the domain name deletion cycle. If I cant find out which registrar the domain is registered with, and so not know the partnered auction house, then I will have to go through a 'drop-catch' service, correct? I want to try and pick up the domain name at the earliest opportunity though.
    Last edited by pinter286; 07-06-2009 at 04:02 PM.

At least say the domain TLD, this is enough to understand why the registrar is not shown and help find a way of discovering it

it is a .com

Thumbs up ICANN - The Head Registry for Free TLD Domains .

I suggest you to contact ICANN.ORG, the head registry for FREE generic TLD domains as they have the authority for .COM domains and is the right place of contact for assistance in your case.

What is ICANN ?

You may contact them and ask for the details of the Registrar for your Domain. If your domain is out of the Pending Delete period after the domain expiration, then you will have to wait until it is available for re-registration.

Good Luck ..!

Thankyou Nelesh O

Guys,

I have been able to find out that the registrar for the domain I want is 'domaindiscover.com', and by looking through the list here:

http://www.whois-search.com/deleting/who.php

I can see that they are partnered with 'buydomains.com'.

is buydomains.com an auction house? I have been to www.buydomains.com, but I dont see anything related to an auction

Also, does anyone have anymore information on this company, how long I would have to wait before I tried to buy the domain (it is set to expire on 12th July 2009)

P.S please excuse my ignorance, I am trying to learn, im just slow at learning!

Well who says it's going into deletion? It will probably be renewed. You can backorder it at SnapNames.com at no cost unless you win. You can check backorders on Pool/NameJet/Snapnames. All 3 are independant. So you need to check all three.
    Last edited by stub; 07-09-2009 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks Stub

did it expire, or was it renewed?

the whois for the domain now says 'Registrant:
    Pending Renewal or Deletion'.

I did try to send an email to the administrative contact before it expired, but it was bounced back by my isp.

Was it backordered anywhere? It takes approx 78 days from expiry before it drops. This does slightly depend on the registrar. I'm not sure what domaindiscover.com use. you'd need to read their ToS. If it hasn't been backordered, then you have 2 choices. Backorder it at SnapNames, or wait for it to drop and hope that it isn't picked up by a dropcatcher when it drops.

I have registered at snapnames, and it doesnt seem to be backordered there. Although I havent checked at DomainDiscover yet.

but should I just wait this one out and try to pick it up if/when its deleted? because I cant afford to bid on it above $150US. Also, its a 4 word domain, with a kind of niche audience.

Although I dont suppose a bid at snapnames would do much harm, but should I wait untill 70 days approx to make the bid? if I bid immediately after expiry (now) will that give other buyers alot of time to put in their own bids?
    Last edited by pinter286; 07-15-2009 at 08:04 AM.

That's assuming they are checking SnapNames for the domain. Well. As soon as you place the bid the domain comes into "play". So, if you are going to place a bid, I'd do it at the last moment possible. But somehow, for a 4 word domain, I think it would be worth the gamble of waiting until it drops. But if it's a "must have" domain then place a backorder, just in case it gets picked up by someone else.

Thanks Stub, I appreciate your advice