Flash/Video Tutorials?

We have quite a few flash/video tutorials for our clients, but are wondering if their usefulness justifies their cost to end-users.

We lease our tutorials so that they are constantly updated as the software updates and this can get quite expensive. We can see that they are viewed by people, but we are unable to determine if that is one person viewing multiple times or many people viewing them.

As a client of a web host, do you find these types of tutorials useful?

Would the availability of these tutorials factor into your purchasing decision?

What types of tutorials do you find most helpful, if indeed you value this resource?
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.ô
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

I think I'd make a habit out of pointing customers to the tutorials section once their issues is handled to their complete satisfaction, maybe add a link to it in the helpdesk signatures. I'd then give it some time, and run a survey to see what they think about them.

Personally, I did get satisfaction using tutorials in the past. They can be a bit annoying at times because they take a bit long (long pauses) but they do answer "how do I do this" type of question quite effectively. I think that most of them could be easily replaced by a well written knowledge base entry, and I wouldn't really have a preference between the two.

I suppose most of your customers as current as prospective will find that is useful.
    That is good to have them but I suppose that is not what can attract the customers

Most people really just don't have the time or patience to watch tutorials..
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

Quote Originally Posted by powerMonster-Scott View Post
    We have quite a few flash/video tutorials for our clients, but are wondering if their usefulness justifies their cost to end-users.

We lease our tutorials so that they are constantly updated as the software updates and this can get quite expensive. We can see that they are viewed by people, but we are unable to determine if that is one person viewing multiple times or many people viewing them.

As a client of a web host, do you find these types of tutorials useful?

Would the availability of these tutorials factor into your purchasing decision?

What types of tutorials do you find most helpful, if indeed you value this resource?
    I personally believe that flash tutorials and FAQ's can really reduce ticket count, which inturn can reduce your operating cost. Its another way of serving customers.

We always advice our customers to have good FAQ and flash tutorials in place to reduce support requests.
    Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Over a decade plus in the Hosting Industry

I personally believe that flash tutorials and FAQ's can really reduce ticket count
    I agree. That is very useful. And I would add support forums as well. That is good tool to reduce number of support tickets as well
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

Where are you hosting your video tutorials? If you put them on something like YouTube you should be able to get some better statistics about who is viewing them. If you split them up on different pages you could also use Google Analytics to see how many views are from new visitors.

Even though there's a cost to creating the video tutorials, it's hard to beat having a copy of yourself explaining things to new visitors 24/7/365.

It was said above that many people don't have the patience to watch a video. Sure, and many don't have the patience to read documentation either. The job of customer service is always going going to involve sending people toward the appropriate resources.

The most important tip I've found is keeping the videos and articles short. There's also no reason you couldn't post a video at the top of a page with a transcript article below it.
    Jeff Standen, Chief of R&D, WebGroup Media LLC. - LinkedIn
    Cerb is a fast and flexible web-based platform for business collaboration and automation. http://www.cerbweb.com/