Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FDCServers.Net Review....So very bad

Ok...

So I purchased a VPS #2 from FDCServers.Net with the thought that it would be good backup storage and an extra space for a test environment.

First off, it took them over 24 hours and 3 tickets to get the VPS online because they couldn't find my order. Next I call and speak to someone on a cell phone at 3:00PM CST who is on a cell and breaking up so bad I get cut off twice.

Next, we get it worked out and I get the VPS. Yay! Not for long... I notice cPanel isn't installed and they haven't sent me a confirmation that I have a license? So I submit a new ticket which they offer to install cPanel..

FOUR HOURS into the cPanel install, I'm thinking...wow this is taking a while.

FIVE HOURS and the cPanel install finishes. First thing I do is run a UNIXBench:
    Code:
    ==============================================================
    BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 4.1-wht.2)
    System -- Linux ns1.ddosprotected.com 2.6.18-028stab053.10-PAE #1 SMP Thu Feb
    28 19:54:09 MSK 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    /dev/vzfs            314572800  3078360 311494440  1% /

Start Benchmark Run: Tue Jun 30 18:47:59 CDT 2009
     18:47:59 up  7:26,  2 users,  load average: 0.12, 0.83, 1.75

End Benchmark Run: Tue Jun 30 19:06:48 CDT 2009
     19:06:48 up  7:45,  2 users,  load average: 11.62, 6.02, 4.09

INDEX VALUES
    TEST                                        BASELINE    RESULT      INDEX

Dhrystone 2 using register variables        376783.7  776176.1      20.6
    Double-Precision Whetstone                      83.1      877.2      105.6
    Execl Throughput                              188.3      397.8      21.1
    File Copy 1024 bufsize 2000 maxblocks        2672.0    10250.0      38.4
    File Copy 256 bufsize 500 maxblocks          1077.0    2136.0      19.8
    File Read 4096 bufsize 8000 maxblocks        15382.0    72653.0      47.2
    Pipe-based Context Switching                15448.6    22419.1      14.5
    Pipe Throughput                            111814.6    62461.1        5.6
    Process Creation                              569.3    1135.2      19.9
    Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                    44.8      57.3      12.8
    System Call Overhead                        114433.5    82885.8        7.2
                                                                     =========
         FINAL SCORE                                                      20.3
    I can tell you that I have seen Pentium 2's bench better than this. I'd almost bet I have a 486 in the attic that will come close to this. 460-480mhz looks like on Xen with no swap or burstable CPU.

This is absolutely ridiculous so I placed a ticket to complain and ask about the allotted CPU on the $69/month plan.

I get this response:
    "For $69/m, you can get a dedicated ATOM server with 10M unmetered connection.
    --
    Thank you "
    First off, if I wasn't tech savvy I'd have no idea what she's even talking about but I understand... So I reply immediately with, "Is this a dual-core atom or single core? Do I get the same specs? Do I get swap space? How long is this move going to take??

Guess what, it's been nearly an hour - no answer on any of their phone numbers and no replies. Why does this not surprise me?

Well I can tell you that I'm going to request a refund even though their policy states they do not offer refunds. If I don't get it, I will be doing a chargeback because this is absolutely ridiculous. I don't understand how they stay in business with this kind of service.

If I can give two words.... STAY AWAY!
    Last edited by PeakVPN-KH; 06-30-2009 at 08:32 PM.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915
      0 Not allowed!

It's as if they didn't read your support ticket at all. I used to have a dedicated server with FDC a while back and didn't really have any problems. Hopefully they do refund you or sort it out for you.
      0 Not allowed!

btw mod I haven't changed the DNS on ns1.ddosprotected.com, feel free to verify the domain = fdcservers network.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
      0 Not allowed!

FINAL SCORE 20.3
    Impressive! The worst VPS I had scored 80.

BTW you can buy a 1GB Atom 330 2TB elsewhere as low as $39.
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah I'm not sure I've ever seen a VPS performing so badly..
      0 Not allowed!

I had a VPS with them a while back and even thoughh they did take long to answer tickets, the issues were eventually resolved. My experience was rather positive so I guess it's really a hit or miss. One thing's for sure, hosting critical data with FDC isn't the best idea ever, but you already knew that as you were purchasing it for testing purposes. Hopefully the issues will be resolved and if not, I hope you get your refund in a timely manner.
      0 Not allowed!

What is the final score of an Atom?

According to the Super PI test result, the Atom at 1.6GHz is a little bit faster than the old Intel Pentium III-M “Tualatin” at 1.13GHz, but slower than the laptop-use Intel Celeron M “Dothan-512″ at 900MHz
    EDIT: Atom Final Score 67 according this thread http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=724684
    Last edited by dotHostel; 06-30-2009 at 09:44 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry to hear about your troubles but thanks for sharing. My mouth dropped when I saw your benchmark score. If you can get them to respond to a ticket, can you ask how much cpu is allotted with each plan since it is obviously not an equal share situation? The 20 score takes me back to 2000-2001 .
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah still no reply. When I did ask for an actual allotted amount they wouldn't answer. I'll keep the thread updated.
      0 Not allowed!

Cpanel/WHM can take 3-6 hours to install on a VPS, which is why it took them so long to install it for you. Wasn't really anything they can do about that.
    www.opticip.com - Optic IP LLC
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy059 View Post
    Cpanel/WHM can take 3-6 hours to install on a VPS, which is why it took them so long to install it for you. Wasn't really anything they can do about that.
    You're kidding right? I know cPanel can take a while on a VPS but did you not see that benchmark? That's why it took so long.

We own a couple VPS companies with more than 200 VPS instances. I am well aware of how long a normal cPanel install takes and 2-3 hours is normally max that we see on busy OpenVZ nodes.
    Last edited by PeakVPN-KH; 06-30-2009 at 10:53 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by serverorigin View Post
    You're kidding right? I know cPanel can take a while on a VPS but did you not see that benchmark? That's why it took so long.

We own a couple VPS companies with more than 200 VPS instances. I am well aware of how long a normal cPanel install takes.
    Then why are you purchasing a VPS from them? You can give yourself all the CPU power you want if you host your own VPS on your servers.

I've seen cpanel take several hours to install on dual quad servers. Yes, your low CPU allotment is a factor in how long it took. But it still can take several hours.
    www.opticip.com - Optic IP LLC
      0 Not allowed!

Because I needed IRC development space. We have sold our IRC companies, we no longer have IRC services internally.

Plus, it was cheaper than we can buy a dedicated at Gigenet/SharkTech/AwkNet/Staminus even with our discounts. - 300GB disk + Free cPanel + IRC Allowed + 20mbps unmetered. Hard to pass up. Like I said, this is for my personal development as well. There would not be any actual income from so I was buying a low-cost solution since I didn't need a full server.
    Last edited by PeakVPN-KH; 06-30-2009 at 11:01 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

I would stay away from Atoms if possible. OP, you should be able to lock in a few dedicated CPU GHz and dedicated RAM on a Xeon VPS for $69. Search the offers section.

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    Server Management - Unlimited Servers. Unlimited Requests. One Plan!
    cPanel Varnish Plugin -- Seamless SSL Caching (Let's Encrypt, AutoSSL, etc)
    Slow Site or Server? Unable to handle traffic? Same day performance fix: joe@unixy
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by UNIXy View Post
    I would stay away from Atoms if possible. OP, you should be able to lock in a few dedicated CPU GHz and dedicated RAM on a Xeon VPS for $69. Search the offers section.

Regards
    Why? Atoms are great little boxes. We have several customers pushing ~50Mbps off them with no problems.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net
      0 Not allowed!

Spud, I would have to agree with the above post about the atoms. With my experience a 2.4 P4 has better performance overall and can be cheaper from a budget provider than the atom dedicated. I think the only thing the atom can draw upon is it's lower power consumption and green friendly label.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    Why? Atoms are great little boxes. We have several customers pushing ~50Mbps off them with no problems.
    I agree - we've used the dual-core atom and never had any issues with them. Performed well and low power.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    You could push that much if not more with a Pentium III. The concern here is application performance not throughput. They're OK for netbooks and low power requirement environments though.

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    Server Management - Unlimited Servers. Unlimited Requests. One Plan!
    cPanel Varnish Plugin -- Seamless SSL Caching (Let's Encrypt, AutoSSL, etc)
    Slow Site or Server? Unable to handle traffic? Same day performance fix: joe@unixy
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by serverorigin View Post
    I agree - we've used the dual-core atom and never had any issues with them. Performed well and low power.

Agree. Some of these boxes push sites with 50k/day uniques I wouldn't say they are horrible little machines but they are a good bank per cpu power. Its not like were doing millions of md5 hashes or crypto work/ssl.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net
      0 Not allowed!

Hi serverorigin,

sorry to hear about your negative experience. I just wish you would have opened up a ticket with our techs and communicated with them about the problem as they would certainly fix it for you.

I know that VPS should have been setup correctly in the first place but mistakes do happen from time to time.
    Petr Kral - FDCServers.net 50+Tbps of internet connectivity https://www.epyc100gig.net/
    10Gbps, 100Gbps, 400Gbps Bare metal servers, VPS, CDN in 24 countries and 36 geo diverse locations
    10Gbps & 100Gbps IP transit in hundreds of locations at best market price
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    Impressive! The worst VPS I had scored 80.

BTW you can buy a 1GB Atom 330 2TB elsewhere as low as $39.
    10mbps unmetered?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by elas View Post
    10mbps unmetered?
    As said, 2TB / month

@ 100Mbps
      0 Not allowed!

OP, did they solve the problem with bad performance ?
      0 Not allowed!

no we did not. The customer did not escalate the problem to our support and chosen to file paypal dispute which resulted in account termination
    Petr Kral - FDCServers.net 50+Tbps of internet connectivity https://www.epyc100gig.net/
    10Gbps, 100Gbps, 400Gbps Bare metal servers, VPS, CDN in 24 countries and 36 geo diverse locations
    10Gbps & 100Gbps IP transit in hundreds of locations at best market price
      0 Not allowed!

Does seem like a bad unixbench score, but it would have been best for you to try and sort it out with the support and let them know you were having issues.

We have been happy when dealing with FDC, we have run into issues here and there (as with any host) but their support is usually very quick to help sort it out.

I personally would be a little frustrated if a user filed a dispute without letting us know they were having performance issues with their VPS.

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast