Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* It's crazy how much people will pay for domains (CHECK THIS OUT!)

www.buisness.com was being sold for 7.5million, and someone bought it!

www.asseenontv.com for 5million someone bought it!

loans.com for 3million someone bought it!

wallstreet.com 1.03million someone bought it!

Beauty.cc was being sold for 1million, you guessed it, someone bought it!

THIS IS OUTRAGEIOUS IN MY OPINION! BELOW ARE SOMEMORE DOMAINS THAT WERE BEING SOLD FOR OUTRAGEOUSE PRICES THAT PEOPLE BOUGHT!

forsalebyowner.com for 835,000

Engineering.org US$198,895

China.tv US$100,000

Free.tv US$100,000

wow.tv US$37,500

---------------------
    THESE TWO domains are still on sale, for VERY OUTRAGEOUSE, OVERDONE PRICES, and I bet you anything in a week, they'll be sold!

Cool.com US$60 million

America.com US$10 million

-------------------------

STATE YOUR OPINION, are domains worth this much that you'd be willing to pay 1million+ to get the name you wanted?
    I LOVE RAVEN!

I may be mistaken, but I don't think these are recent buys. These were probably in the good days.

At one point I had http://www.aol.tk, americaonline.tk, and a few other goodies when the tk tld's came out. They were snagged the next day. I didn't expect to keep them, but they were open, so had to take a shot at it.

Zak

No, these were recent sales, go to www.com-2.net and check on the right, under Recent Domain Name Sales, then you can click on MORE...To see more for sale or keep scrolling down to see: Recent Domain Name offers, and it'll show the Cool.com and America.Com stuff...
    I LOVE RAVEN!

Originally posted by kitty-kat
    No, these were recent sales, go to www.com-2.net and check on the right, under Recent Domain Name Sales, then you can click on MORE...To see more for sale or keep scrolling down to see: Recent Domain Name offers, and it'll show the Cool.com and America.Com stuff...
    Unless I'm missing a date or something I don't think these are recent at all. I may be wrong, but I'm quite sure business.com isn't a recent sale.

I may be wrong, but I remember it selling some time ago for too many million 000,000. I don't really find it that crazy that someone paid that much, I just like to beat myself up for not wanting to spend the $35/year domain when you could actually select a domain you liked.

Zak

The Business.com sale is old news. That is not recent. I'm not sure about the others and I also am not sure about the price. For some reason the $7.5 million listed doesn't sound like the right number. I thought it was higher actually...
    - Mark

Originally posted by markblair
    The Business.com sale is old news. That is not recent. I'm not sure about the others and I also am not sure about the price. For some reason the $7.5 million listed doesn't sound like the right number. I thought it was higher actually...
    Any fairly generic name that has global marketing possibilities, is short and memorable, and is a dotcom can be considered quite valuable. In the case of Business.com, the name alone sold for $7.5 million. HappyBirthday.com went for $80,000. Many additional names have sold in the low five digits. One domain reseller, GreatDomains.com, sells names for an average of $17,000 or so, and that sure ain't peanuts!
    http://www.domainnotes.com/news/arti...382381,00.html

I thought it webt for 10 mill, but guess not.

Zak

Okay, I was wrong on the price. $7.5 million is correct but look at this article and note the date:

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-11-516999.html?legacy=zdnn
    December 1, 1999
    - Mark

A lot of those were deals done a long-time ago. In those days, white, yellow and pink paper was worth a lot more than green paper.

Having said that, some of those domains are worth a lot of money (if not as much) to a company who can actually put it to good use.

A sub-domain business.yahoo.com is more valuable than business.com.

That is my $0.02.

Man on the Moon

3 Americans landed on the Moon! After Neil Armstrong made his first small step on the Sea of Tranquility from the Eagle (the lunar module of Apollo 11), an American flag was raised. CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS!?

Oops! That was more than 30 years ago!
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Re: It's crazy how much people will pay for domains (CHECK THIS OUT!)

Originally posted by kitty-kat
    www.buisness.com was being sold for 7.5million, and someone bought it!
    If that went for 7.5, I wonder how much business.com would go for
    Jason Mansfield - jmansfie [at] uoguelph.ca

I used to get a kick out of looking up some of these pricings at afternic.com where it's basically a bunch of people buying and selling domains, but then it just got irritating when I realized people were buying up domains I might be interested in actually using just to sell it back to me at 10x, 20x, or even 50x the price. Needless to say, I didn't buy any of their outrageously priced domains.

Alex, it's a first-come first-served business. Why would you get upset? If they thought of the name first and since reselling is a legitimate business, why would you bicker about it?

A domain is worth what the buyer is willing to pay. Something you would not spend $50 on (using the logic that you would not have to spend more than the lowly registration fees) can be bought by someone else for $500. It's how badly you want the name that matters.

Just imagine

>Alex042: ... but then it just got irritating when I realized people were buying up domains ...

We all know by now that domain names are (or were) worth A LOT, e.g. business.com was sold for US$7.5 Million. Okay, just imagine you woke up tomorrow and found your back in 1993, when it was FREE (yes, it's free back then) to register any domain name. Think for a minute, will you NOT register hundreds or even thousands of them? My bet is: you will be a big-time cybersquatter scolded by many but owns at least a dozen of million dollars. LOL!
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Go back in time and register webhostingtalk.com

Yeah most of those are old news. Cool.com turned down 8million a couple years ago. And, its not really "crazy" to pay high prices like that for domains. Domains can be very valuable, and I'm sure you will learn that ( I'm assuming your new to the domain world ).

RMF

Here's my story, I'm 14. I first got on the internet in like 1996 or 97, I started making fan pages about 3 years ago. I started on Homestead. Learned about animations, blends, ect. Started doing blends on Adobe. Decided to learn HTML, and coding, did. Found out PSP7 is sooo much better than Adobe, and purchased PSP7:Anniversary Edition. And the boards that I come from do stuff like: animations, blends, layouts (or templates, as you guys call them), flash buttons, ect. for FREE! I just make this stuff, because I find it fun! I was never really into even getting paid a penny, for my work! I still do my stuff for free. If any of you guys asked me for a layout, flash buttons, blend, or blinkie, and asked how much I charged, my response would be... "charge? lol, it's free" So I don't pay that much for domains, I'm not into domains that much, it's more of the making stuff, that I'm into! So maybe that's why I find it crazy, I don't know!
    I LOVE RAVEN!

Talking

Yeah, those domains were bought when the well of money for dotcom investments were bottomless.

Were you correct about cool.com turning down $10 mil? Wow, bet they are kicking themselves now....

-WC-

See I'll make things like this for people for free, to put in their siggys!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...2/fd110288.gif

But with your web hosting name! All you have to do is upload it to your server! Hope you don't mind that I used your name WildCard!
    I LOVE RAVEN!

No problem, that's pretty neato, thanks!

-wc-

Where do these guys put their domains on sale?

ok! They don't let you post pics on this board, do they? Because I've been trying and trying, I've tried [img] code and < img src= code!
    I LOVE RAVEN!

Where to sell domains?

>hostingplex: Where do these guys put their domains on sale?

There WAS a time when GreatDomains.com get A LOT of attention. They even placed a big ad on Wall Street Journal; and they sold drugs.com for US$823,456! I snapped more than US$10,000 from there alone.

Then there WAS AfterNIC.com, once a sellers' hangout because they only charge the sellers commissions (unlike GreatDomains.com which does the opposite). I did sell a couple of names through them before they FOLDED. (Although the website still works automatically, its parent company Register.com has announced that they won't provide customer support any more. So think before using them.)

Now I list ALL my domain names (still more than 50 left after selling half of them) on my own site. And I frequent forums like this so you guys know that I am here.

Yea domains are worth alot. I just got an email from a guy out of no where for a domain i've owned for a while (never thought anyone would want it). He is paying quite an extensive amount for it .

See below

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast