Thread: iMac Fund

iMac Fund

Dale's iMac Fund!

I've set up a little website in order to see how generous society really is, whether people donate small amount "for the lulz" or whether they're actually going to donate a chunk (around £5+ which is a lot for a donation, especially when there's no REAL cause to it, except to make someone happy.)

Please, no flaming. I don't intend to be able to raise £1k through this website, it's simply just to see the outcome. (however, the money that's gained won't be put to bad use if I don't accumulate enough funds as I'll keep a hold of it until I can afford to purchase one and be able to keep my new start-up stable, which will be launching again soon)

Dale

Interesting idea, really is and would be interested to see what happens.
    2 things that bugged me on your site (Just coding bits):

1) The number of people viewed the site, it would be nice if it was styled in the same format of text as the rest of the code and just make it bold. Would look nice
    Example: Currently 050 people have viewed my iMac donation page.

2) The format of your dollar or pound is coming up as: � so many people can see it. This could be just the HTML format being the symbol and not the HTML coding for it.
    Example: £ = £

Hope that helps and good luck.

Thanks for the review.

Yeah, that's how I had originally had it, although I had to change it for the counter image as I couldn't style it.

The second one is a weird one that I was looking to try find out what was going wrong, but it messed up somewhere as it works fine on the actual script (without including) although the person who made it has encoded it off and the script is basically crappy. I've bought another script and will be setting it up in the next 10 minutes.

Cheers for the advice,
    Dale

The colour scheme is a bit bland, why dont you modify the site into more of a blog, a bit like that 'one red paperclip' thingy.
    Follow me on Twitter: @conrjac

It's not every day you get something for nothing (especially when the reasoning behind your charity lacks any real cause). So if your plan to have complete strangers buy you an iMac fails, here's a simple three step backup plan:

Work, Save, Buy.

It will still be interesting to see the outcome, however.

Nice work on the site design.

Best Regards,
    Danny.

Quote Originally Posted by nerios View Post
    It's not every day you get something for nothing (especially when the reasoning behind your charity lacks any real cause). So if your plan to have complete strangers buy you an iMac fails, here's a simple three step backup plan:

Work, Save, Buy.

It will still be interesting to see the outcome, however.

Nice work on the site design.

Best Regards,
    Danny.
    If you read my post, I stated that I know this won't raise a grand, although it will be interesting to see what happens. Not once did I state it was a charity and in my opinion, I clearly stated that it wasn't for anything except someone's happiness, and I suppose research.

Quote Originally Posted by BetaOrange View Post
    If you read my post, I stated that I know this won't raise a grand, although it will be interesting to see what happens. Not once did I state it was a charity and in my opinion, I clearly stated that it wasn't for anything except someone's happiness, and I suppose research.
    No need to get defensive. The use of the word 'charity' is totally in context in what you're trying to achieve here, and was not meant to implicate that you had created a foundation of any sort.

Charity (Relevant excerpts from WordNet and Webster).

1. Something given to a person or persons in need. (see: donation)
    2. A charitable act or work.
    3. Any act of kindness.

Who is really benefiting from this 'research'? Your concept is based on this theory: "Lets see if I can get X amount of people to donate X amount of money, so I can by myself a shiny new toy without having to work for it". It sounds like an attempt to masquerade being lazy by labeling it as something innocent.

I believe in donating to those who truly need it and have a worthy cause (the poor and suffering, those with illness, disability, terrible living conditions in third world countries, medical research, etc) where a donation will assist in making a real difference in a persons quality of life. I personally wouldn't make a donation to a complete stranger who leads a normal, healthy lifestyle and their only benefit from the donation is a materialistic luxury.

With that being said, people are donating at their own discretion and are entitled to do what they like with their earnings. If helping someone get an iMac as opposed to helping someone get clean drinking water makes them happy - then who am I to judge?

Best of luck,
    Danny.
    Last edited by dariti; 06-30-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Spelling Error

Quote Originally Posted by nerios View Post
    No need to get defensive. The use of the word 'charity' is totally in context in what you're trying to achieve here, and was not meant to implicate that you had created a foundation of any sort.

Charity (Relevant excerpts from WordNet and Webster).

1. Something given to a person or persons in need. (see: donation)
    2. A charitable act or work.
    3. Any act of kindness.

Who is really benefiting from this 'research'? Your concept is based on this theory: "Lets see if I can get X amount of people to donate X amount of money, so I can by myself a shiny new toy without having to work for it". It sounds like an attempt to masquerade being lazy by labeling it as something innocent.

I believe in donating to those who truly need it and have a worthy cause (the poor and suffering, those with illness, disability, terrible living conditions in third world countries, medical research, etc) where a donation will assist in making a real difference in a persons quality of life. I personally wouldn't make a donation to a complete stranger who leads a normal, healthy lifestyle and their only benefit from the donation is a materialistic luxury.

With that being said, people are donating at their own discretion and are entitled to do what they like with their earnings. If helping someone get an iMac as opposed to helping someone get clean drinking water makes them happy - then who am I to judge?

Best of luck,
    Danny.
    I hope you never thought I was being defensive, as that was not what I was aiming at. Of course, I know what you mean, I donate to cancer research, quite a big sum every year although this isn't exactly to be taken as seriously as that, just spare change to be honest, a pound or something what has someone got to lose except there change that what, they'll leave in there sofa or something similar?

It's their own free will to donate and like I said before, I know for a fact this won't get more than what? £20 or something, although the money would go towards an iMac, I just know for a fact it won't go far, thus it will still need me to work, which I'm already doing.

Dale

EDIT:
    This is just going to get me into the bad-books of quite a lot of people, so I've now decided to just remove the website. Although it was intended for a joke with a fellow friend at 4am yesterday morning.
    Last edited by BetaOrange; 06-30-2009 at 10:34 AM.