What is your personal opinion

When you create a website, do you prefer Frontpage, Dreamweaver, or anyother site builder, or just to code it your self, and why?

What is moving ahead, to code by hand, or to use an application to do the coding for you?

Thank you

I prefer Dreamweaver. In an ideal world, everyone would code HTML in Notepad, but some people are lazy (take me for instance). Sometimes I do need to code certain portions by hand though, in case I have to use an editor which messes up your HTML.
    -Mooneer
    Thoughtbug Software: Hosting shouldn't require any thought.
    Legitimate host? Support the Code of Ethical Conduct

I use notepad for the sake of simplicity. I have tried (and used to use) frontpage, but now I find it much more confusing, trying to get it to do what you want. Plus, if you want to increse your skills it is best done by hand. I do still temporarily use frontpage to figure out something I can't get to work, but that is rarely.

When doing HTML pages I do my basic layout in Front Page Express 2.0 and do my other work by hand.

When doing php pages, I use my layout.php file, and I can build page layouts using its functions. It really helps especially for tables and such.
    Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) Brain Cancer Awareness. May is Brain Cancer awareness month. Gray Matters!
    Incurable, 6-18 months prognosis, survivors longer than 3 years less than 1% chance.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

ColdFusion Studio.

This is my whole opinion on the matter...

Anyone can use dreamweaver/frontpage/any other, i honestly believe it shows true dedication in the website if you take the time to code it by hand. I think it is also stepping ahead and not behind, because you know you dont need anyones elses help to build a website. Though that is only my opinion

Just a note: Dreamweaver does not correct sloppy design It's a great visual tool (especially the latest MX version) but it's not like Front-spit-page.

EditPad lite for all of my c, perl, php, xhtml, and css programming needs.

vi
    and dreamweaver when i need to figure out advanced tables easily but im not a great designer.
    --
    Rich

phped - works wonders not just for php....
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

People who say Notepad is the best are idiots (sorry ): if a text editor cannot auto-indent (i.e., stay indented after pressing Enter) then it is worthless and makes your code look horrible.

http://www.arachnophilia.com
    Get your web design questions answered: Web Design Forums at http://www.turtletips.com/forums/ ; vBulletin Board of the Month.

Originally posted by filburt1
    People who say Notepad is the best are idiots (sorry ): if a text editor cannot auto-indent (i.e., stay indented after pressing Enter) then it is worthless and makes your code look horrible.

I have to say that Arachnophilia is an excellent free editor, although last time I used it was in 1996.

Originally posted by filburt1

hey now to each his own. I have to agree on the auto indent, but it does serve it's purposes.
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Originally posted by richy
    vi
    and dreamweaver when i need to figure out advanced tables easily but im not a great designer.
    Well, if I am on linux, than its emacs :p

I was too lazy to get it running on windows as of yet, so I still use editpad lite.

yeah ive used emacs a couple of times, the problem is from years of writing code, every single program auto indents, even notepad, theres a subrouting somewhere in my brain that presses tab with my left little finger, its very hard to get out of doing it lol. emacs does colouring which is nice. as for me being mad because i indent automatically instead of using software lol gee sorry lol, i do see your point but i just got used to it and do it myself without thinking.
    --
    Rich

IBM's Websphere home page builder.

**No bebate entered into it's the best. Period.

Why you ask ? well use it and you will see.
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Becuz I have had a debate with a couple people saying they use dreamweaver, or other applications to build websites, and I think it is cooler, my dedication to sit down and code it all by scratch, with out an application doing most of the work...personal opinion

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Acronym BOY
    EditPad lite for all of my c, perl, php, xhtml, and css programming needs.
    Ditto.
    The member formerly known as Enigmatics
    Teh Harem

Pico
    Kaumil P.

More often than not I simply use notpad cause there is no better way to get something right than to do it yourself, unless you know nothing of what you are doing. Besides once you get the page up and running you can say with pride "Hey look I did all of this myself" and its a great feeling knowing you did it. Similar to when you've worked hard all week and get that pay check.

Cold Fusion Studio / Homesite (basically the same software - just one has more Cold Fusion support)

Originally posted by Lippy
    More often than not I simply use notpad cause there is no better way to get something right than to do it yourself, unless you know nothing of what you are doing. Besides once you get the page up and running you can say with pride "Hey look I did all of this myself" and its a great feeling knowing you did it. Similar to when you've worked hard all week and get that pay check.
    Agreed. Plus you learn more as you do everything your self, from scratch!
    Kaumil P.

Quite a discussion you stirred up here Isaac

100% hand coded all the way. Best way to beat the bloat...
    I thank my Lord for all His wonderful blessings.

EditPlus 2
    -Bruce

hey... anyone know of a good Visual PHP form processing script editor?