Social Networking platform

Hi,

I have a client who wants to start a social/business networking site which will allow dealers to interact together in his specilist construction equipment area of business.

Can anyone reccomend a good social networking platform, which is hosted and essentially give similar fucntionality as facebook. Obviously not with the apps of any of the other stuff in facebook.

It would need profiles, registrations, media uploads and possibly chat.

From what I have read there a hundreds of different platforms...just hoping to get some idea on here of what is good.

This a small business which the client has, so I wont be looking at onesite.com or similar!

thanks

whats your budget, I have been researching too

As a software platform you can use the popular Joomla with some extensions (maybe cb profiles), or Acquia Drupal, or Buddypress or Elgg etc.

All of the above run on standard php / mysql.

As for the hosting: better choose a host that you can scale (from shared to clusters, or use a cloud hosting account with the pay as you go model).
    Antonis Adamakos @ FuzzFree :: Fully Managed Web Hosting, Development, Online Marketing

I'm working on a site for a client using socialengine it has a similar look and feel to facebook with the default settings. It's not free but I like how it's put together and fairly easy to work with.
    HostREA.com
    kirk[@]hostrea.com
    Shared / Reseller cPanel Web Hosting
    WHMCS Templates -Ready to go instant downloads.

but with socialengine you only have the facebook kind of look but what if you also need it to be an online magazine with articles and forums at the front page?

Quote Originally Posted by 01globalnet View Post
    As a software platform you can use the popular Joomla with some extensions (maybe cb profiles), or Acquia Drupal, or Buddypress or Elgg etc.

All of the above run on standard php / mysql.

As for the hosting: better choose a host that you can scale (from shared to clusters, or use a cloud hosting account with the pay as you go model).
    how hard do you think it would be to tune joomla to be a facebook mixed with an online magazine with articles and forums at the main page submitted both by users and admin?

If one would need help, how expensive would that help be?

Just make your own, if you need a platform for that, use something like CakePHP (Currently the best framework IMO). Some guy built a dating site in like 66 hours from scratch.
    Cody McLain
    Founder of PacificHost / AptHost

thanks, I have experience of joomla but looking for something a little bit more off the shelf. The client is not entirely sure how this is going to pan out.

I will take a look at socialengine.

from a quick 10 minute look at social engine, it could be what I am looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by joecov View Post
    from a quick 10 minute look at social engine, it could be what I am looking for.
    It would be great if you can post your views on this product (Social Engine). Did this product meet your requirement? Even I am looking for a social networking platform and your inputs will be very useful.
    Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Over a decade plus in the Hosting Industry

Social engine is crap

Social engine is crap and useless and will cost you $600 or more - no future as there are just 2 or 3 developers.

Take a look at buddypress.org or social net extensions of joomla or drupal. OR Elgg.org or dolphin boonex
    All these you can download for free and test on your localhost.

If you want a paid something there is phpfox or dzoic. Phpfox is going to be great one with its upcoming version.

mmmmm ok, will check out what you have said. I am looking for as little setup as possible and easy customisation.

Ning.com Very cool.

phpfox all the way.