Current Respected Server providers/Datacenters

Hey guys, What are the current respected datacenters / places to rent a server.

I have been with softlayer in the past, Considering going back to them but where else currently compares or exceeds softlayer?

Budget between $100-$200. I just need stable, unmanaged with staff who are not idiots. Hardware requirements are not an issue.

Not willing to use a reseller, location US or EU. Bandwidth requirements 1-2tb.

Thanks
    Last edited by Wompie; 06-29-2009 at 02:35 PM.

You're being a bit vague here! Are you looking for a US server specifically? What will you be running on it? Answer those and we'll be able to give you a suggestion as different companies have different specialities

Bret
    NetHosted Ltd. - UK Based Web Hosting
    Like us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Bret - dediShack View Post
    You're being a bit vague here! Are you looking for a US server specifically? What will you be running on it? Answer those and we'll be able to give you a suggestion as different companies have different specialities

Bret
    Unmanaged server, hardware not important. Needs: stable and not ran by retards

Just throw some respected names at me. Wanting to pay for quality not oversold crap if that narrows down my request.

SoftLayer / 10TB (SoftLayer based) would be a good bet then in your case. Was there a reason you left them in the first place?

Bret
    Like us on Facebook!

Any specific requirement on the amount of bandwidth needed?
    Take 2 Hosting, Inc. - Hosting Done Right
    Fully automated setup - new servers in as little as 10 minutes
    http://www.take2hosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by msherman View Post
    Any specific requirement on the amount of bandwidth needed?
    1-2tb (using less but is this not the typical standard?)

Quote Originally Posted by Bret - dediShack View Post
    SoftLayer / 10TB (SoftLayer based) would be a good bet then in your case. Was there a reason you left them in the first place?

Bret
    Different needs at time of moving, happy to move back. Read my 10TB.com post to see my views on them guys Not willing to consider any resellers.

Tailor Made Servers & WebNX.

The Planet, WebNX, Liquid Web.

You may also would like to take a look at Singlehop.com
    I am very impressed by their service and the hardware I have from them! They may not be as big as ThePlanet or Softlayer (does that have to be a disadvantage?) but also not only resellers like 10TB...

I'd recommend you still go back and look at Softlayer again. They aren't the cheapest but they have great service and the KVM-over-IP is a life saver. We've been through quite a few DCs and SL is where we stayed.
    Jeff Standen, Chief of R&D, WebGroup Media LLC. - LinkedIn
    Cerb is a fast and flexible web-based platform for business collaboration and automation. http://www.cerbweb.com/

I have a couple of servers at GNAX/Netdepot and really love them. They fit your requirements, great support and network.

Gigenet, SingleHop, ServerBeach (Though their setup is really slow).
    Cody McLain
    Founder of PacificHost / AptHost

Did you take a look at the offer section? There are a number of hosts there that are good. Select an offer, and do some research on that company before buying it.

Did you look at the offer section? If you liked something do a research on that company rather waiting for people's general review. I think that would give you better results and ideas.

Gigenet, hands down. Definitely the best provider that I've used.

Hi Wompie,

Most any good datacenter will be able to support the requirements you have outlined. As already mentioned, I would check out the offers section, find a few you like, then search here to see what kind fo things are said about them.

Let us know how you make out!
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

As Byte master said, any good data center will support your requirements. Any specific location you may want in the US? I would recommend SteadFast and ourselves of course ;-)
    Mean Servers - Mean Business
    █ Denver & Los Angeles - Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Servers | Managed Services
    Mean Servers - www.MeanServers.com

Quote Originally Posted by redrocksdatacenter View Post
    As Byte master said, any good data center will support your requirements. Any specific location you may want in the US? I would recommend SteadFast and ourselves of course ;-)
    Pretty sure you can't reccomend yourselves in a thread

Although to build on what I said earlier on, either SoftLayer or BurstNET - heard some good things about both companies recently

Bret
    Like us on Facebook!

Interserver is a great datacenter, Softlayer, 10tb.com is a reseller of Softlayer, iWeb, just check in the offers section, I'm sure there are some good companies around there.
    #---.#---###### | Host Mist LLC - Helping People Say Hello World™
    #---.#---#--#--# || Shared, Reseller, Master Reseller, VPS, Dedicated
    ####---#--#--# }| Featuring multiple locations across the US & Germany.
    #---#---#--#--# #| Connecting the world through web hosting.

If you are looking for a provider that compares/exceeds softlayer's capability then I can not recommend the search feature enough. You seem to be on top of your business, and will likely not require much assistance after your initial set-up. I would search for some information on companies where there is an expansive list (history) of client reviews.

Let us know how it goes!
    Machen N. Mathews - Limestone Networks - Business Development
    Cloud - Enterprise & Dedicated Hosting - Resell Dedicated Servers
    DDoS Protected - @LimestoneInc - 877.586.0555 x112
    Bitcoin? Coffee? Yes.

I'd say webnx, pretty much exactly what you are looking for so I'd suggest you email their sales department with the type of server/budget.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: [email protected]

I have had experiences with LayeredTech a few years back, absolutely rock solid service but I can't comment on anything recent. I have only read really good things about SoftLayer, but I wouldn't be able to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Wompie View Post
    Hey guys, What are the current respected datacenters / places to rent a server.

I have been with softlayer in the past, Considering going back to them but where else currently compares or exceeds softlayer?

Budget between $100-$200. I just need stable, unmanaged with staff who are not idiots. Hardware requirements are not an issue.

Not willing to use a reseller, location US or EU. Bandwidth requirements 1-2tb.

Thanks
    Singlehop can get you a server. [email protected], he's been great for me

I also suggest HiVelocity([email protected]), and as you said in your post, softlayer.

Budget between $100-$200

US: Softlayer and The Planet
    DE: Netdirekt and, maybe, Hetzner
    UK: RapidSwitch
    Last edited by dotHostel; 06-30-2009 at 08:09 PM.

*checks his list*

Let's see...

gigenet.com - lots of good reviews, good prices, free KVM. Unless you need really high bandwidth... as last time I checked, their unmetered 100mbps is around 1000$ =[ (managed but they might give you a discount if you manage it yourself?)

10tb.com - they use softlayer's DCs, but you won't get SL's help nor their control panel. (unmanaged)

fdcservers.net - got some impossible to beat deals if you are concerned about US bandwidth. (unmanaged)

volumedrive.com - email'em and they'll send you a list of their servers. Cheap prices and most importantly good rep. (unmanaged)

singlehop.com

All of these are in good standing here on wht and are within your budget.
    Last edited by Sergej; 06-30-2009 at 08:41 PM.

My personal experience is :

1. ThePlanet ~> Highly experts, fastest support Eva (refresh the ticket page, answer is there!), great offers every month, lowest price on dual xeons and even more discounts on hardware upgrades and waived setup fee if you ask for a quote from your account manager! (If you are in advance level of your business, well go with ThePlanet because no other DC can satisfied you like them)

2. Singlehop ~> great great great friendly staff and server hardware’s are truly advanced (ticket answering average time ~ 10 mins) prices are good, network is totally stable, hardware replacement is super FAST, OS reload - reboots - troubleshooting are taking not much time ... (overall, it’s great for professional business "not advanced level")

3. iWeb ~> Great deals, great prices, not much friendly and pro staff, ticket respond time is ~ 20 mins (except sales tickets which comes up so fast) hardware is not that good but most probably stable enough, high bandwidth offers, but I left them because of support issues only. (Again, ThePlanet is unbelievably expert and I love working with them as now I have 6 servers with them in 9 month and 100% uptime till now!)

4. CariNET ~> cheap servers, almost good support, upgrade prices are high but not that bad ... bandwidth is too low and upgrade price is extremely high. Might say network is stable and good.

Well, that’s it, that’s all my own experience, but still, my ONLY recommendation is The Planet!

Cheers.