Dotster Hosting Problems

I have a hosting account with dotster and tried to upgrade to the latest version of the scripts I am using. For one reason or another the site would not display although I could get into the admin console, no problem.I tried contacting their customer services but decided to move the sites after getting no response.

However next problem is that the database wont import using cpanel/phpMyadmin and after exporting using phpMyadmin. I suspect that dotster have deliberately done whatever it is that is causing the disconnect, just to make it really difficult to leave. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Have you informed about this to their support? Normally no host will cause such problems for a customer who is switching from their hosting. A customer has the right to switch if they are unhappy with one's services. Try to contact them once more to know if that helps or not.

However next problem is that the database wont import using cpanel/phpMyadmin and after exporting using phpMyadmin. I suspect that dotster have deliberately done whatever it is that is causing the disconnect, just to make it really difficult to leave. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
    I'm not sure I understand what the problem is. Are the backups failing? How, what is the exact error you're getting when trying to restore them?

I rather doubt Dotster would render the backups useless on purpose, as it would only prolong the eventual flee of the customer for a bit, rather than help keep him long term. Maybe there's an otherwise typical compatibility issue at hand. Did you have your new host look into the matter?

Their customer service is slow. They use a manual and quote one chapter and verse. Its a nightmare trying to get answers. Its bound to be something simple such as a check box on one screeen or another. I am just hoping that someone on the outside has had a similar problem and can point me in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    I rather doubt Dotster would render the backups useless on purpose, as it would only prolong the eventual flee of the customer for a bit, rather than help keep him long term. Maybe there's an otherwise typical compatibility issue at hand. Did you have your new host look into the matter?
    I go into phpMyadmin, go to Export, Save as a SQL file (no compression) on my C drive. I then go to my new cpanel, go to Import using phpMyadmin and press Go.

It always works. It works with other databases exported from other servers and I am too dense to figure out what is going wrong at Dotster. I am talking to the new host.

What message does phpmyadmin import shows?

How big is your db? If your db is too big you may run into problems using phpmyadmin to import a db. The easiest way is to import a db via ssh. Another method is to use BigDump to import the db.

This is Adam from Dotster. I guarantee that whatever the issue is with the database, we're not intentionally trying to make things hard for you. I can't be of much assistance without more details, but if you haven't tried customer service again, please do so. If the support representative is unable to help, you can ask to speak to one of the senior customer support representatives who might have more technical knowledge as far as your specific issue goes.

Quote Originally Posted by rainchild View Post
    I suspect that dotster have deliberately done whatever it is that is causing the disconnect, just to make it really difficult to leave.
    Quite frankly that sounds paranoid, as no respected host would do such a thing. Please do let us know how this turns out, I'm sure that Dotster will help you.
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

It is paranoid. We have managed to sort the problem out and I admit that I am all too eager to believe the worst. But this is what happens when your customer service programme fails to deliver. One they need to respond in good time and two they need to understand that their job is to assure the clients that they are looking for a solution. And finally they need to know when to escalate a problem. This does not happen at Dotster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotster Adam View Post
    This is Adam from Dotster. I guarantee that whatever the issue is with the database, we're not intentionally trying to make things hard for you. I can't be of much assistance without more details, but if you haven't tried customer service again, please do so. If the support representative is unable to help, you can ask to speak to one of the senior customer support representatives who might have more technical knowledge as far as your specific issue goes.
    Thank you. We have managed to set up the database. I think it was being corrupted at some stage of the export but it did work last night. However would still like to speak to someone who will do more than just listen to what I have to say. Who do I ask for?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    How big is your db? If your db is too big you may run into problems using phpmyadmin to import a db. The easiest way is to import a db via ssh. Another method is to use BigDump to import the db.
    Cheers. It wasn't a particularly large database. In fact there were two of them and they were getting corrupted. Thanks for the feedback.