* wait for AWBS 3 or get WHMCS 4 ?

Hi everyone,

Now I'm really in difference between AWBS and the new WHMCS.

First, mentioning why I chose AWBS over WHMCS in the first place.
    I started using it for over a year and by that time I had few collegues that they prefered AWBS, besides the online research i've done here in WHT and other websites and the comparison of the two vendors websites, which gave me more signals to chose AWBS over WHMCS.

What I like about AWBS is:

1-The encryption they use on their files , as I can't see any Nulled versions of the new AWBS versions.
    Eventhough it's not hard for WHMCS to adopt the ionCube encryption, but they should have a reason for that and I hope it's a good reason because I really care about security, especially when it comes to client details and paid services.

2-The Easieness of template integration and the fun of doing it. (client area)
    How you can manipulate all AWBS and present it the way you like. It's like baking a cake. I'm not sure about WHMCS templating system.

What I dislike about AWBS is:

1- The support system.
    Doesn't allow attachments, it's very difficult in the admin area to handle large amounts of tickets and it doesn't show the subject that the client entered.
    The client's area: accessibility to tickets and moving around between them isn't as easy as WHMCS.

2- The design of clients area.
    It's not easy, not customizable and lacks good arrangment.

3- Doesn't support "transfer site", if a client transfers his website and you got his backup file restored in your cpanel server, you have to configure his package manually.
    Now let's face it, is the number of clients transfering from other hosts small? given the NEW API of cPanel , it's very easy to import cpanel accounts and configure them automatically with a click of a button (one good point for WHMCS).

lots and lots of features and disadvantages that I could really keep in mind.

Now that the new WHMCS 4 is released, I was amused by the enhancments they did, but i really wanted to see something about security there.
    My decision was, Wait for AWBS version 3 to be released and then compare, also, current clients experiences are valuable in the decision making.

I would like to hear from two types of clients,

1-AWBS clients that moved to WHMCS
    2-WHMCS clients that moved to AWBS

AWBS and WHMCS clients that didn't move will present loyality in their comments which I don't really care about. It's for the vendors to care about and honor their loyal clients.

Thank you for reading

Mohannad Otaibi,
    Hardlayers.com

Although I've never tried AWBS, I've read up on it before. I'm pretty sure the people who use WHMCS will gladly tell you that version 4 will not disappoint.

Support system is amazing although I could see some features that it lacks.
    Client Area and management is also well designed (although enabling mass-credits would be helpful)
    Affiliate system is well made
    Product creation/management is simple and efficient

I can go on and on, but I'd rather just give you the demo link: http://whmcs.com/demo.php

Good Luck with the research.

Thanks tru1 for your reply

I also see that WHMCS is the #1 for the time being now.
    but there are differences between the demo versions and the actual one working , experience with the script does matter

The option of obtaining both lisences and installing both and moving from one to another is available, but no one for sure would like to confuse his clients with different standards every switch.

I see also that AWBS clients are more loyal to AWBS than WHMCS ( i wanna know the secret )

by the way
    is this the right forum to post the thread? if it's not , I hope a mod could move it to the better one

thanks

Hi

i never tried AWBS, because almost whmcs covered everything and their support system is fantastic
    WebHost18.com - Domains | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Server
    Bravo Technologies - Complete Network and Security Solutions Provider

Waiting for movers

I tried both AWBS (formerly DRAMS) and WHMCS. I prefer WHMCS way more than AWBS. You can do lots of things with WHMCS
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

I've had no reason to ever look at AWBS. WHMCS does everything we needs to and looks pretty too
    Last edited by AquariusStorage; 07-02-2009 at 08:47 PM.

Why would anyone in their right mind swap to WHMCS?
    There's a significant number of exploits that aren't being addressed, a number of which worked on previous versions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Why would anyone in their right mind swap to WHMCS?
    There's a significant number of exploits that aren't being addressed, a number of which worked on previous versions as well.
    I find that interesting you say that when you're running WHMCS ...

First of all... all pubic known security issues have been fixed as of 4.0.2. I'm not even aware of any of "private" security issues that has been leaked to us hosting providers yet as of this very moment, and usually I hear about these very quick from other providers instant messaging us/twittering to us, etc...

I really doubt there is any significant public known exploit that isn't patched as of 4.0.2....

So If I am wrong, I'm sorry... but If not, did you just have a bad experience or something with WHMCS and that is why you came on here to trash them?

We are running WHMCS, yes. But there are a number of exploits that function flawlessly for the latest versions that also functioned for previous versions. The code is not being fixed, it's having bandaids added to it.

And no, I haven't had a "bad" experience with WHMCS. The code is simply not up to par and with it being closed (and previous unencoded versions proving the poor codemanship) there's simply no reason to trust it.

I'm not here to trash WHMCS. I'm simply here asking why would you move to WHMCS after all of it's known issues?

We are running WHMCS, yes. But there are a number of exploits that function flawlessly for the latest versions that also functioned for previous versions. The code is not being fixed, it's having bandaids added to it.

And no, I haven't had a "bad" experience with WHMCS. The code is simply not up to par and with it being closed (and previous unencoded versions proving the poor codemanship) there's simply no reason to trust it.

I'm not here to trash WHMCS. I'm simply here asking why would you move to WHMCS after all of it's known issues?
    Because it's the best software available for shared/reseller/vps by far.

The guys at WHMCS provide great support and it's a fantastic bit of software.

If you have such a low opinion of it, why are you still using it ?
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Ah so you're somewhat pushing an "open source" alternative since you have a problem with WHMCS being encoded.

Fact is, the open source alternatives BLOW. They SUCK and I mean suck hard. If there really is some unannounced security issues with WHMCS, I hope to god they go about fixing them. Many businesses depend on WHMCS, and it is a shame if they are hiding behind poorly written and insecure code. I highly doubt they are, because if this was true, they wouldn't be so popular, but I guess we shall see.

I have upgraded my WHMCS to version 4, and it's running great so far. I've used WHMCS ever since I launched my business and my experience has been fantastic.

Although I haven't used AWBS, I would never change from WHMCS. It's everything I need!

We've been using AWBS on several websites for many years now. It is solid software, well supported, and has a lot of functionality.

At this point, there is no reason to switch to any other system since we're very happy with AWBS.

I can't make a comparison to WHMCS, because I've never used it...
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    We've been using AWBS on several websites for many years now. It is solid software, well supported, and has a lot of functionality.

At this point, there is no reason to switch to any other system since we're very happy with AWBS.

You can always check their demo.

Two things i can see in WHMCS now that i can't see in AWBS

the lovely well designed admin area.
    The cPanel accounts importer script.

besides, there lots of admin functions that you can do to hosting accounts through the admin area, without using the "become client" button to initate an order instead of the client, or upgrade downgrade his account, or even change his cPanel password through admin area.

you gotta see it your self man.

I'm really thinking hard to move.

I bought an owned license from WHMCS now and contacting Matt about the import script so i could import all my stuff from AWBS.

Hello,

Don't forget to post into the awbs forums about why you decided to switch.
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

I would say go with WHMCS. We waited over 2 years for a promised feature from AWBS which has still yet to arrive and is still being promised for the next release.

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post

WHMCS lacks 3 critical features for me:

1. Support for dedicated IP addresses. This software does not record dedicated IP addresses when the account is created. ModernBill has this functionality.

2. Clustering. There is no way to use clustering. For example, servers 1 - 3 are for resellers only, servers 4 - 8 are for webhosting package A, etc.

3. True one time payment options. The customer's credit card must be saved when they enter it, which results in those people who don't want their credit card info save having to submit a support ticket asking us to remove it.

Does AWBS have these features?

Those 3 features I don't need for the time being.

about writing to AWBS, I'm planing to as soon as my DB lands successFully on WHMCS.

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Too View Post
    2. Clustering. There is no way to use clustering. For example, servers 1 - 3 are for resellers only, servers 4 - 8 are for webhosting package A, etc.
    Firstly, that's not clustering. Secondly, WHMCS does have that functionality.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

WHMCS is good, there are some dislikes I have about it but at the same time I realise its a system create for everyone to use and not just myself where as the majority of my recommendations for changes would only benefit myself.

Having said that if your looking for decent support system have a look at kayako and run that integrated into your billing control panel, its the best out there although there is a premium charge for the software.

I am a longterm whmcs user and would normally always recommend it, this time its no diffrent.
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!