Question ways to adverstise my company?

just recently started a web hosting company <<snipped>>
    and i wanted to know how i can advertise my website.
    i don't have a lot of money because i still at college and don't have a job . I'll really appreciate everyone's ideas thanks
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 06-28-2009 at 09:28 PM.

Try and get top ranking on google keywords which are relevant to your services.

Quote Originally Posted by tw765 View Post
    just recently started a web hosting company Boxxhost.com
    i don't have a lot of money because i still at college and don't have a job . I'll really appreciate everyone's ideas thanks
    My ideas would be:
    1. To ask this type of question BEFORE you start a web hosting 'company'
    2. Treat your new web hosting company as a 'real job'.

With that out the way, don't wast your energy promoting your site, promote your business[company?] instead. Best route is 'word of mouth'.

ps. just looked at your site.....................
    don't promote it at all untill typos are sorted, ie copyright 2007 !
    and do you realy want to offer unlimited ?

and think very hard about the domain: Boxxhost.com, UK google will prefer .co.uk

and you need to show your full address etc. to comply with DSR in the UK
    Last edited by Brian-de-vie; 06-28-2009 at 09:22 PM.

you could do CPC ads, it works out pretty nicely if you know how to select keywords and descriptions properly - and of course going around forums and advertising works (assuming you follow all rules of course )

Quote Originally Posted by njoker555 View Post
    you could do CPC ads, it works out pretty nicely if you know how to select keywords and descriptions properly - and of course going around forums and advertising works (assuming you follow all rules of course )
    To be honest, I did not find CPC ads to perform well, I put up a few hunderd bucks on a CPC campaign and did not get any conversions. Here are a few places that I found to get ads.

1) Pay to advertise on forums (Often called a Sticky)
    2) Word of mouth can be a POWERFUL tool
    3) Offer an affiliate program
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks

Quote Originally Posted by KDisk View Post
    To be honest, I did not find CPC ads to perform well, I put up a few hunderd bucks on a CPC campaign and did not get any conversions. Here are a few places that I found to get ads.
    I've found it to work out well enough, of course the income over expenses weren't as high as we'd hoped but it didn't hurt us.

If you a have a few thousand dollars or so to spare you can probably find someone who can bring your site to the top 10 keywords on google for hosting or web hosting. You always can hand out flyers and such in your community.

i don't have a lot of money because i still at college and don't have a job
    The combination of lack of money and lack of time just means that you need to focus. Build out a business plan that's doable for you and dedicate yourself to executing that plan. Your local community should be your biggest and most profitable prospect base. Network with others to promote your business. The hardest part of starting is getting people to even know you're there, or what it is you offer.
    ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Hostirian View Post
    The combination of lack of money and lack of time just means that you need to focus. Build out a business plan that's doable for you and dedicate yourself to executing that plan. Your local community should be your biggest and most profitable prospect base. Network with others to promote your business. The hardest part of starting is getting people to even know you're there, or what it is you offer.
    To be honest, I am sure that most of us have been in that position before. This thread should be moved to "Running a Web Hosting Business" there are ALOT of resources in there. There is no problem with starting out in a "Part Time" basis, but you still need to be able to dedicate a block of time to building your business.
    Keith I Myers

I am thinking about the same thing an hope my time here in WHt would be useful in studying and planning. Agree with a lot of folks here as word of mouth being the best form of advertising. Then, service! service ! Service ! That will create a good cluster of evangelists who would want you and your service to grow. All thh best

Quote Originally Posted by Smoking View Post
    I am thinking about the same thing an hope my time here in WHt would be useful in studying and planning. Agree with a lot of folks here as word of mouth being the best form of advertising. Then, service! service ! Service ! That will create a good cluster of evangelists who would want you and your service to grow. All thh best
    Thats the right way to think.

On a side note about the "Word of Mouth", in my case I get more referrals from my resellers then my standard customer base. It is almost a 2:1 breakdown.
    Keith I Myers

Man o man. There's been countless threads about this topic. Do a simple search here on WHT. You will find multipe threads.

Yeah as you said you don't have much money the best add should be your service quality. Your customers definitely can be your advertisement boards as others said. WHT like forums are another place you can relay.

The point of advertising your website is to get people to do. As most people go to sites from search engines not from advertisements, getting your website ranked well in search engines is most important.

I would suggest doing searches for any environmental directories and sites as a first point. Some of these may link to your site for free, which may get some visitors from there as well as helping with your search engine rankings.
    Support Facility | 24/7 web hosting technical support services
    Technical support | Server management | Data migration

Technical Articles

just recently started a web hosting company <<snipped>>
    My suggestions

* Promise what you can actually offer and work on over delivering, which will result in customer delight. This delight can bring you more customers through word of mouth.

* Work on optimizing your website for search engines

* Keep blogging on related topics

* Post in public forums under the advertisement sections/forums

* Setup referral programs .
    Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Over a decade plus in the Hosting Industry

Quote Originally Posted by blessen View Post
    My suggestions

* Promise what you can actually offer and work on over delivering, which will result in customer delight. This delight can bring you more customers through word of mouth.

These are some pretty good methods which I agree with..

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to start a 'company' while still in college with no money. Even though a reseller account is cheap, it's always a good idea to have reserved funds in case of a disaster.

If you're just testing the waters providing accounts for a few close friends/family, then it's a good start. But since you're looking to advertise and get some commercial customers, it may not be a good idea..
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

It'll be in your business plan under "sales & marketing - client acquisition methods" :p

as to what you should do - very much depends on what your niche and "point of difference" is - or are you just another "me-too" host opeating from a cheap reseller a/c hoping to "get rich" ?
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by blessen View Post
    My suggestions

i with you
    Webgater.CoM - Cheap FullyManged Unmetered VPS , Master Reseller ,
    Reseller and Webhosting.
    Tomer A

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
    It'll be in your business plan under "sales & marketing - client acquisition methods"
    That comment deserves the 'Post of the week award'

Hi!
    Ah..the age-old marketing questions! Well..let me save you some time:

The secret? There is no secret.

I hate to go into geezer mode and re-hash the topic..but here we go:

What works for me in my market may not work for you..it's just a matter of trial and error.

Most successful hosts find a niche..say..realtors..and concentrate on that one market. Do not try and be everything to everybody..it ain't gonna work. SPECIALIZE.

Another thing: stupid expensive stuff. Don't do it...unless..of course..it is your goal to lose money. I had a certain very large host ship me a very pretty expensive pen with their name on it. It even had a refill. Good? Nope. It's pretty..but it don't write. Period. I betca these folks spent at least $3.00 on it..and I wager they sent out at least 300 of 'em. Blah. What a waste.

Too bad they couldn't spend a little of that money on a decent billing system...that was 100% the reason I left. Service was fine..but billing was a nightmare. Go figure.

I won't mention their name to not shame them further.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by webgater Network View Post
    i with you
    Thank you :-)
    Blessen Cherian

Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    These are some pretty good methods which I agree with..

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to start a 'company' while still in college with no money. Even though a reseller account is cheap, it's always a good idea to have reserved funds in case of a disaster.

If you're just testing the waters providing accounts for a few close friends/family, then it's a good start. But since you're looking to advertise and get some commercial customers, it may not be a good idea..
    The methods that I have listed down here are the ones that I have learned the hard way and the ones which have been successful for us @ Bobcares.
    Blessen Cherian

Try calling local business people in the same area as you this would make offering support very easy.
    Jesse Brown (CEO)
    AmuseHOST.COM ~ A world class leader in the hosting industry!
    Use the coupon code WHT to receive 70% off your first month (limited time offer)

Quote Originally Posted by Paidhosts View Post
    If you a have a few thousand dollars or so to spare you can probably find someone who can bring your site to the top 10 keywords on google for hosting or web hosting. You always can hand out flyers and such in your community.
    LOL LOL LOL top spot in Google for a few thousand for the words hosting or web hosting? Cute.

If you are on limited money. Then doing some SEO on the website and getting a good ranking on google is the best thing to do. Results don't come straight away but if done properly you will see the results in a few months.

Best way is word of mouth.
    ModulaOne Network - Premium, Reliable, & Affordable
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee. 15 Day Money-Back Guarantee.
    cPanel/ WHM | Nginx + Varnish | CloudFlare | Softaculous

SEO optimization, search that on google. Very helpful, I was able to move myself all the way to first place in google using various keywords many people dont think about.

Quote Originally Posted by kapies View Post
    SEO optimization, search that on google. Very helpful, I was able to move myself all the way to first place in google using various keywords many people dont think about.
    This made me curious - if they're not keywords normally thought about, what depth of reference would you get from them? For example, the keyword MySQL gets over 177 million results - where do your keywords rank?
    ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers

Spending time social networking is a great way to get your business out there without having to spend money. Posting webhostingtalk, twitter and other social networking sites will help get you out there in front of people. Best of luck.
    Stephanie Ostheimer
    Director of Account Management
    SingleHop Dedicated Servers