Thumbs up One month VolumeDrive review

Hey all,
    Just over a month ago I ordered a dedicated server off VolumeDrive, so thought I'd post a one month review of things thus far.

The ultra short version is: they seem a very good provider and I'm a happy customer

Although I assume people may want some more detail, so here goes :

Firstly, the VolumeDrive website doesn't have many of their offers listed which is a shame, but if you e-mail and ask for their dedicated server price list you'll get a pretty comprehensive document which has quite a few options.

They also offer the ability to pay one-off fees for certain things (HD upgrade/extra HD, extra RAM, hardware RAID), so the server I have is the following, after paying $2xx in one-off fees:

Core2Quad Q8200 2.33 Ghz
    4 GB RAM
    2 x 500 GB SATA hard drives
    Hardware RAID 1
    10 Mbit dedicated connection
    cPanel/WHM w/ fantastico

For $118 per month (so $90 not including the cPanel license)

Which is a pretty sweet deal; the one-off fees ability is great.

There was a minor problem somewhere down the supply line after I ordered, meaning the server taken around a week (after paying) to be deployed, although the VolumeDrive staff kept me updated with what was going on and all which was fine by me.

When the server was deployed, I seen I had been upgraded for free to the Q8200 (I originally ordered the Q6600) which was great - VolumeDrive just said that the Q6600 is nearing its end of life and so put in the Q8200 instead! Which was greatly appreciated

The support staff have been great. It's an unmanaged service (although OS reloads, Hardware replacement, Network troubleshooting and Reboots are all free), however when I have had to contact them they've replied promptly.

I think that's about it really - I've had no real problems, am very happy with the deal I'm getting and the support response times have been quick.

So.. thanks VolumeDrive! And I'll look to write a 6 or 12 month review down the line too.

Thanks,
    Tristan Perry

(Domain serverperformance.com)
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

Quote Originally Posted by DH - Tristan Perry View Post
    Hey all,
    Just over a month ago I ordered a dedicated server off VolumeDrive, so thought I'd post a one month review of things thus far.

The ultra short version is: they seem a very good provider and I'm a happy customer

Although I assume people may want some more detail, so here goes :

Firstly, the VolumeDrive website doesn't have many of their offers listed which is a shame, but if you e-mail and ask for their dedicated server price list you'll get a pretty comprehensive document which has quite a few options.

They also offer the ability to pay one-off fees for certain things (HD upgrade/extra HD, extra RAM, hardware RAID), so the server I have is the following, after paying $2xx in one-off fees:

Core2Quad Q8200 2.33 Ghz
    4 GB RAM
    2 x 500 GB SATA hard drives
    Hardware RAID 1
    10 Mbit dedicated connection
    cPanel/WHM w/ fantastico

For $118 per month (so $90 not including the cPanel license)

There was a minor problem somewhere down the supply line after I ordered, meaning the server taken around a week (after paying) to be deployed, although the VolumeDrive staff kept me updated with what was going on and all which was fine by me.

When the server was deployed, I seen I had been upgraded for free to the Q8200 (I originally ordered the Q6600) which was great - VolumeDrive just said that the Q6600 is nearing its end of life and so put in the Q8200 instead! Which was greatly appreciated

The support staff have been great. It's an unmanaged service (although OS reloads, Hardware replacement, Network troubleshooting and Reboots are all free), however when I have had to contact them they've replied promptly.

I think that's about it really - I've had no real problems, am very happy with the deal I'm getting and the support response times have been quick.

So.. thanks VolumeDrive! And I'll look to write a 6 or 12 month review down the line too.

Thanks,
    Tristan Perry

(Domain serverperformance.com)
    Thanks for the review. Good to see that you're happy with VolumeDrive. Keep us updated.

We are glad to see things are going well and for the positive feedback. Please let us know if you need anything moving forward
    Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co

Quote Originally Posted by DH - Tristan Perry View Post
    Though the numbers may make it seem that a q8200 is better than a q6600 it isn't.

Q6600:
    Operating Frequency: 2.4GHz
    L2 Cache: 2x4MB
    FSB: 1066MHz

Q8200:
    Operating Frequency: 2.33GHz
    L2 Cache: 4MB
    FSB: 1333Mhz

The Q6600 outperforms a Q8200, not by a lot, but there is a little difference there.

When the server was deployed
    oh god. i would be screaming pissed if it took 1 week for a server to be deployed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    Though the numbers may make it seem that a q8200 is better than a q6600 it isn't.

Q6600:
    Operating Frequency: 2.4GHz
    L2 Cache: 2x4MB
    FSB: 1066MHz

Q8200:
    Operating Frequency: 2.33GHz
    L2 Cache: 4MB
    FSB: 1333Mhz

The Q6600 outperforms a Q8200, not by a lot, but there is a little difference there.

Actually, according to CPU benchmark.. the 8200 pulls out slightly ahead:

Intel Core2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz 3182
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2856

This has been already debated in this thread here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...t=Q8200&page=2

Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It is always nice to see happy customer faces on board. Come back with more experiences. Have a nice hosting in future too.