Performance Difference

Is there a big difference in performance between Core i7 920 and Core2Quad Q9550?

Thanks.
    Off Topic Forum - An Off Topic discussion Forum.

Depends what you are using it for, but I would generally say yes there is a big difference.

The i7 is a completely new architecture, with the main performance improvement coming from the improved memory bandwidth. You also have HT so it will try to execute 8 threads instead of 4.

The only thing to remember (especially if you are colo'ing) is that i7's draw quite a bit more power than the 45nm Core 2 Quads

My site is a busy vb forum so do you think it worth the money to upgrade to a icore 7 server?

Quote Originally Posted by DT-Spirit View Post
    My site is a busy vb forum so do you think it worth the money to upgrade to a icore 7 server?
    What is your site running on currently? If you've got the money to invest in an i7, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

Yes, the i7s are quite noticeably faster than the C2Qs. Whether or not that's going to benefit you depends on your current bottleneck though.

I think you should look at what the task is that the CPU's must perform and then compare..

Quote Originally Posted by ServerW0rks View Post
    I think you should look at what the task is that the CPU's must perform and then compare..
    How can I check that?

Thanks.

What is your current disk setup?

For a busy database server I would favour faster disks over CPU Depending on what you have currently. i.e. a SAS RAID-10 setup

Quote Originally Posted by DT-Spirit View Post
    How can I check that?

Thanks.
    What are u running on the server? then checkout benchmarks to see wich performs better in that area...

I am just using a 500gb SATAII disk.

I am currently thinking switching to a icore 7 920 with 12gb ram and adding a secondary disk for MYSQL from wired tree.

Do you think the performance would increase if I add the secondary disk just for MYSQL?

Thanks.

You would get more benefit by moving to a 15K SAS Drive setup than just upgrading the cpu, your speed bottleneck is most likely there.
    Jay

Instead of the single CPU i7 desktop CPU, you should look into the Xeon E5500 Series CPU. Which is Nehalem architecture based and would allow you to add a second CPU when you grow even larger, without having to deal with another server move.
    PACIFICRACK - Striving for Automated and Scalable Servers
    Features Include: Public&Private Networks, Automated Forward and Reverse DNS, RWhois, Local OS Repos, Remote Reboot
    Coming Soon: Remote OS Installs, Recovery Boot, VPN Tunnel, Multiple Locations with Private Network Interconnections!