i have a dedicated server. Centos 5.3 /Cpanel
2 reseller accounts on it: acc1 and acc2.
acc1 has ns1.domain.tld and ns2.domain.tl nameservers set up
acc2 has ns3.domain.tld and ns4.domain.tl nameservers set up
now i want to move an account (customer.tld) from acc2 to acc1 without downtime.
how can i do this provided i can not have customer.tld both on acc1 and acc2 on the same server?
here's what i did:
1. changed customer.tld nameservers to have ns1.domain.tld, ns2.domain.tld, ns3.domain.tld, ns4.domain.tld then waited for 48 hours for the changes to propagate
2. changed the customer.tld owner in WHM from acc2 to acc1
3. changed the cpanel package from acc2_package ti acc1_package
4. changed the IP in WHM for the account from ns3 IP to ns1 IP
5. changed the DNS entries in WHM ns3 changed to ns1 on all instances found there
but i still have a downtime period now. everything looks fine in httpd.conf thou
can anyone help me with some suggestions?
Move the sites to the new server and setup the namservers on the new IPs. The update the IPs in the DNS zones on the old server to point sites to the new while your DNS server IPs update. I use sed to do this myself..
sed -i 's/OLDIP/NEWIP/g' *.db
If you run that in your /var/named it will update all instances of IPs in all the DNS zone files. So if all the sites are not being moved, replace * with the actual filenames.