Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Mosso becomes The Rackspace Cloud - good, bad or just re-branding?

The title basically says/asks it all. I believe Mosso initially had no Rackspace affiliation other than using Rackspace's services, and then subsequently became a subsidiary of Rackspace. Now, over the past few days, Mosso has become The Rackspace Cloud.

Given Rackspace's reputation, I have to believe this is good news, but I figured I'd toss it out there for the pros to discuss.

I've thought about taking the plunge to Mosso/Rackspace Cloud but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I wouldn't use anywhere close to the full $100 package at the start but I'd probably grow into it within 6-12 months, as my sites get back online and grow. Thus, I'm kind of facing the old chicken-and-egg conundrum: I don't want to pay $100 for $10 worth of usage, but at the same time, moving sites -- and especially IMAP email accounts -- is such a pain in the rear end, I don't want to keep moving every time my sites/traffic grows.

I wish these guys had a $25 or $50 starter plan from which users could upgrade. I'd be all over that. (I know about their lower-cost Cloud Server packages (or whatever it's called), but I'm not tech-savvy enough for unsupported hosting.) Thanks for all feedback.

Mosso has always been a Rackspace subsiduary.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Can't really say subsiduary. Mosso IS and and always WAS Rackspace - wholly, totally and completely.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Are you sure? I thought Mosso started out as a separate entity, and that, at most, Rackspace was a minority owner/investor. I thought Todd Morey and some other guy started and owned Mosso and then the Rackspace connection grew as time went on. ???

I remember when it was launched - as a Rackspace service.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Quote Originally Posted by jk09 View Post
    Thus, I'm kind of facing the old chicken-and-egg conundrum: I don't want to pay $100 for $10 worth of usage, but at the same time, moving sites -- and especially IMAP email accounts -- is such a pain in the rear end, I don't want to keep moving every time my sites/traffic grows.
    There are no serious reasons why you should keep all your eggs in one basket.

E.g. Register with eNom but use DNS and monitoring/failover services from DNSMadeEasy, e-mail accounts with Google Apps, offsite backups with BQBackup, Web server with a vps or dedicated provider, emergency site with a shared provider, etc.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 06-28-2009 at 08:35 AM.

I have about a dozen domains on a cloud server there. The IP I have from them goes back to slicehost.

This is basically just rebranding.

I would imagine that considering the size of the investment in Mosso, it wasn't growing as expected. With 'Rackspace' now in the name of the product, i think it will be a stronger brand image.
    Darren Lingham - UK Webhosting Ltd. - (0800) 024 2931
    Tsohost.co.uk - Quality UK Windows and Linux hosting since 2003
    UK WordPress Hosting - Fast, easy, cloud based WordPress Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by dazmanultra View Post
    I would imagine that considering the size of the investment in Mosso, it wasn't growing as expected. With 'Rackspace' now in the name of the product, i think it will be a stronger brand image.
    mosso is actually the growth in the rackspace brand
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com & SolusVM.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

I've always heard good things about mosso *regardless of the steep price*

Although I don't know anyone personally that uses the service. From what I remember, Mosso was separate before rackspace? Or do I have to go back in WHT search function

Mosso is RackSpace as far as I know - they're both expensive for what you get imho but some feel it's worth it.

I'd sooner go with SoftLayer - WHT used to be hosted at RackSpace but is now at SoftLayer as well
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting, LLC - Professional Hosting Solutions
    LiteSpeed Powered - Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    For high-end shared accounts ideal for business, check out our Premium offerings!
    http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007

Mosso has so many problems its not funny. Heres my site uptime for June:

year month incidents percent up down avg resp. time
    2009 June 3 99.798% 0.202% 0.179

Their whole concept of the "cloud" is utter crap. It doesn't fail over, and if it does, its too late. And then there are the times that their load balancer decides to display that there are no suitable nodes available for service. And the times when the storage volume fails and it takes 15 minutes or longer to actually fail over to the other volume. And then they lock the MySQL tables from writes or updates for HOURS for maintenance. I've never had to do that. I understand its a larger setup, but thats pretty bad.

Basically, I'm pretty confident a linksys router modded to run apache would be more stable than Mosso. Go buy a server instead, you're going to have much better uptime and you won't have to deal with the techs who don't have a clue what they are talking about most of the time.

By the way, that .0202% represents 1.5 hours of unscheduled downtime. Considering the website is pretty high profile, its very serious.

Quote Originally Posted by RackPoint-Morgan View Post
    By the way, that .0202% represents 1.5 hours of unscheduled downtime. Considering the website is pretty high profile, its very serious.
    That is pretty serious for what Mosso claims to be and the pricetag that's associated with it. I wonder if others have similar experiences (runs a search).
    For high-end shared accounts ideal for business, check out our Premium offerings!

Not to mention of course the "scheduled maintenance windows for mysql". The difference of course between your own server and the cloud is that with your own server, you decide on when that schedule is. If you don't get to decide, it may as well be unscheduled.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Hey look, mosso is down again! Just in time for the end of June.

Hey look, mosso is down again! Just in time for the end of June.
    Out of curiosity, could you provide a domain so that we could all see this downtime for ourselves, or an uptime report? If you don't want to provide information publicly you can provide it to me in a PM and I will keep it confidential.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Out of curiosity, could you provide a domain so that we could all see this downtime for ourselves, or an uptime report? If you don't want to provide information publicly you can provide it to me in a PM and I will keep it confidential.
    they were down alright - try to do a twittersearch
    Even techcrunch.com was down .... and rackspace.com

D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com & SolusVM.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

status.mosso.com
    status.rackspacecloud.com

4 problems noted for June 29, including a 40 minute power outage.

The archived posts used to be longer, but don't seem to be there anymore.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    status.mosso.com
    status.rackspacecloud.com

4 problems noted for June 29, including a 40 minute power outage.

The archived posts used to be longer, but don't seem to be there anymore.
    Hmm I wonder why they cleared their archives

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/06/29...avorite-sites/

I would assume that this would only be a re-branding operation,nothing too much In It.
    and as far as I'm concerned,It't doesn't make a hell of a difference.

Webhosting-10.com
    Webhosting-10.com Is now a Google PR 6
    We're Looking for Advertisers on our site (Anyone Interested?)

We're really, really *disappointed* by Mosso / Rackspace Cloud so far

We've moved about 10 sites there and having problems all over the place.

1. Their Control Panel is incredibly slow, even when accessed via a high speed connection. They know it's slow, but don't have an ETA on fixing it. Also things like quickly getting to the page listing your databases involves about 4 clicks (and waits). They've split everything on to different pages which would be fine if it was fast loading, but it isn't!

2. You CANNOT unpack a .zip or .tar file yourself. Seriously. You have to contact Live Support each time you want to unpack a file. This is a 'bug' in their current file manager, again there is no specific date for a fix.

3. WordPress worked fine on old host. Moving to Mosso/RS and suddenly we're getting blank pages or half-loaded pages. No apparent reason and in random intervals.

4. vBulletin site. It seems random which .xml plugins it will allow you to actually upload to the site. Some go up very quickly and others just end with a "no file found" error.

At the moment we're planning on moving on. For example right now I want to upgrade Wordpress to 2.8.1 but that's going to involve downloading the zip file, reuploading, waiting for live chat to unpack and then manually moving files around with a FTP client - all for something that *should* work via the Wordpress control panel...

HTH anyone else.

Mosso is RackSpace as far as I know - they're both expensive for what you get imho but some feel it's worth it.

I'd sooner go with SoftLayer - WHT used to be hosted at RackSpace but is now at SoftLayer as well
    Actually WHT is powered by Rackspace and secured by Gigenet. Just look at the headers and footers on every page! (links back to Rackspace and Gigenet).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast