hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Mosso becomes The Rackspace Cloud - good, bad or just re-branding?

Forum Jump

Mosso becomes The Rackspace Cloud - good, bad or just re-branding?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 05:35 AM

Question

Mosso becomes The Rackspace Cloud - good, bad or just re-branding?

The title basically says/asks it all. I believe Mosso initially had no Rackspace affiliation other than using Rackspace's services, and then subsequently became a subsidiary of Rackspace. Now, over the past few days, Mosso has become The Rackspace Cloud.

Given Rackspace's reputation, I have to believe this is good news, but I figured I'd toss it out there for the pros to discuss.

I've thought about taking the plunge to Mosso/Rackspace Cloud but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I wouldn't use anywhere close to the full $100 package at the start but I'd probably grow into it within 6-12 months, as my sites get back online and grow. Thus, I'm kind of facing the old chicken-and-egg conundrum: I don't want to pay $100 for $10 worth of usage, but at the same time, moving sites -- and especially IMAP email accounts -- is such a pain in the rear end, I don't want to keep moving every time my sites/traffic grows.

I wish these guys had a $25 or $50 starter plan from which users could upgrade. I'd be all over that. (I know about their lower-cost Cloud Server packages (or whatever it's called), but I'm not tech-savvy enough for unsupported hosting.) Thanks for all feedback.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2009, 06:16 AM
The infamous....

Mosso has always been a Rackspace subsiduary.

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:21 AM
Web Hosting God

Can't really say subsiduary. Mosso IS and and always WAS Rackspace - wholly, totally and completely.

Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2009, 06:23 AM

Are you sure? I thought Mosso started out as a separate entity, and that, at most, Rackspace was a minority owner/investor. I thought Todd Morey and some other guy started and owned Mosso and then the Rackspace connection grew as time went on. ???

Old 06-28-2009, 07:15 AM
Web Hosting God

I remember when it was launched - as a Rackspace service.

Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Old 06-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk09 View Post
Thus, I'm kind of facing the old chicken-and-egg conundrum: I don't want to pay $100 for $10 worth of usage, but at the same time, moving sites -- and especially IMAP email accounts -- is such a pain in the rear end, I don't want to keep moving every time my sites/traffic grows.
There are no serious reasons why you should keep all your eggs in one basket.

E.g. Register with eNom but use DNS and monitoring/failover services from DNSMadeEasy, e-mail accounts with Google Apps, offsite backups with BQBackup, Web server with a vps or dedicated provider, emergency site with a shared provider, etc.

Last edited by dotHostel; 06-28-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Rebooting is a hack, not a fix

I have about a dozen domains on a cloud server there. The IP I have from them goes back to slicehost.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Retired Moderator

This is basically just rebranding.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Web Hosting Master

I would imagine that considering the size of the investment in Mosso, it wasn't growing as expected. With 'Rackspace' now in the name of the product, i think it will be a stronger brand image.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:05 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazmanultra View Post
I would imagine that considering the size of the investment in Mosso, it wasn't growing as expected. With 'Rackspace' now in the name of the product, i think it will be a stronger brand image.
mosso is actually the growth in the rackspace brand

Give it a spin at www.TryOnApp.com, and see why we're behind 1 out of 3 public clouds online.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:35 AM
Temporarily Suspended

I've always heard good things about mosso *regardless of the steep price*

Although I don't know anyone personally that uses the service. From what I remember, Mosso was separate before rackspace? Or do I have to go back in WHT search function

Old 06-29-2009, 04:42 AM
Web Host Extraordinaire!!!

Mosso is RackSpace as far as I know - they're both expensive for what you get imho but some feel it's worth it.

I'd sooner go with SoftLayer - WHT used to be hosted at RackSpace but is now at SoftLayer as well

http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007

Old 06-29-2009, 04:43 AM
Web Hosting Master

Mosso has so many problems its not funny. Heres my site uptime for June:

year month incidents percent up down avg resp. time
2009 June 3 99.798% 0.202% 0.179

Their whole concept of the "cloud" is utter crap. It doesn't fail over, and if it does, its too late. And then there are the times that their load balancer decides to display that there are no suitable nodes available for service. And the times when the storage volume fails and it takes 15 minutes or longer to actually fail over to the other volume. And then they lock the MySQL tables from writes or updates for HOURS for maintenance. I've never had to do that. I understand its a larger setup, but thats pretty bad.

Basically, I'm pretty confident a linksys router modded to run apache would be more stable than Mosso. Go buy a server instead, you're going to have much better uptime and you won't have to deal with the techs who don't have a clue what they are talking about most of the time.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:44 AM
Web Hosting Master

By the way, that .0202% represents 1.5 hours of unscheduled downtime. Considering the website is pretty high profile, its very serious.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:49 AM
Web Host Extraordinaire!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RackPoint-Morgan View Post
By the way, that .0202% represents 1.5 hours of unscheduled downtime. Considering the website is pretty high profile, its very serious.
That is pretty serious for what Mosso claims to be and the pricetag that's associated with it. I wonder if others have similar experiences (runs a search).

http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007