Exclamation Bluehost issue [Split from older thread]

Quote Originally Posted by edunetter View Post
    I am told that Bluehost has no inodes limit. It is a pleasant surprise. Is it really true?
    That's the funniest thing I have ever heard. BLUEHOST just suspended my account for too many inodes.

They were total dicks about it.

BLUEHOST is the WORST. Their abuse department has no clue and they love to harass you when you violate their cryptic ToS.

They dupe you in with the word 'UNLIMITED' but in truth, about 5-10 domains with email addresses will fill your 50000 quota and you'll have to open a new account and remove your files.

BLUEHOST are crooks.

Nothing is truly unlimited unfortunately. What type of website or script were you running on your account with them?

* Too Many Files

Quote Originally Posted by igxhost View Post
    Nothing is truly unlimited unfortunately. What type of website or script were you running on your account with them?
    I had 60 domains and 310,000 files. Now, while that might seem like alot, every single email on our mail server counts as a file. So, when you have a company with, say, 20 employees (or several clients that you host), you get to 400,000 "inodes" really quick.

Now, let's say you have an application that caches several thousand pages in order to speed up user experience, a shopping cart for example. There's another 5000 inodes taken up and that's just ONE CART.

BLUEHOST SUCKS MY ASS AND SO DOES EVERY WEBHOSTING COMPANY WHO PUTS LIMITS ON DEVELOPERS CREATIVITY BY SUSPENDING THEIR ACCOUNTS WHEN SOME ARBIRTRARY LIMIT IS EXCEEDED.

It's a total bunch of crap and I had to spend 25 hours over 3 days and move emails, files, forwarders, server URL's for installs that reference SERVER PATH (osCommerce), etc.

Guess where I moved all my files? TO ANOTHER BLUEHOST ACCOUNT. Why? I couldn't get DNS moved on all client account in the time-frame so I got another BLUEHOST acct (as well as another company, too) and moved about 10/80 domains to that acct. The ones where I couldn't get DNS changed in time.

IT'S RIDICULOUS at best and UNETHICAL AND MISLEADING at worst.

As a marketer, now would be a great time to suggest another webhosting company with a nice juicy link but truth is THEY ALL SUCK. Read the fine print on all the companies: "50,000 inode limit".

Unfortunately that's what happens when you go for the hosts who offer unlimited everything, there's always some sort of catch.

Just choose a host that doesn't have an inode limit. Reputable ones will mention it in their TOS if they have one. Alternatively, just ask them pre-sale.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

most of the hosts offering unlimited space/bandwidth have that kind of limits, they put it to not allow you to use much space.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Or webhosts that have reasonable inode limits, for example 100.000 inodes per 1GB disk space.

Looks like unlited is becoming a dirty word again. I took a break from WHT for a few years really and when I started coming here regularly again at the beginning of the year I was suprised to see that unlimited hosting was found acceptable by the WHT crowd as long as it was "unlimited hosting done right". In the old days offering unlimited hosting guaranteed you got tarred and feathered on this board.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell View Post
    Just choose a host that doesn't have an inode limit. Reputable ones will mention it in their TOS if they have one. Alternatively, just ask them pre-sale.
    Previously Bluehost didn't have a hard limit on inodes. Now they have decided to impose the 50000 inode limit on all existing customers. So even though in the past it was fine to have way over 50000 inodes, now it is no longer acceptable. All existing clients are forced to comply with the new 50000 inode limit policy. And those that can't are being asked to leave Bluehost.
    Last edited by CrazyPenguin; 06-28-2009 at 10:13 AM.

All existing clients are forced to comply with the new 50000 inode limit policy. And those that can't are being asked to leave Bluehost.
    And that's fine. The only trouble is the manner in which it is being done. Given that these customers are no more a danger to their systems than they were yesterday, when we can suppose things were at least reasonably fine, they could get a notice of the change and a reasonable time frame in which to comply with the new restrictions.

The thing I find most surprising is that this (PR) lesson wasn't learned yet. They went through a similar thing back when the CPU usage measurements were changed.

Quote Originally Posted by gegan View Post
    I had 60 domains and 310,000 files. Now, while that might seem like alot, every single email on our mail server counts as a file. So, when you have a company with, say, 20 employees (or several clients that you host), you get to 400,000 "inodes" really quick.
    Here's an idea. If you're hosting 60 domains and they are customers with employee's that rely on the e-mail service. Don't be a cheap ass and buy proper service that is meant for reselling or hosting lots of e-mails.

Budget web hosting companies are for small businesses and when you get to a certain point, it's no longer for you. If you think that you can get away with paying $3.00 to $10.00 a month when others are paying a respectable $50 to $500 a month to host their stuff, then you're a fool and no matter how many Terms of Service's that you'll read, you'll always be duped.

I don't really think its only Blue Host there are many Hosts out there that do that, Tell you the truth if your going to stick with Unlimited Plans then get use to it.

Quote Originally Posted by NexDog View Post
    Looks like unlited is becoming a dirty word again. --- In the old days offering unlimited hosting guaranteed you got tarred and feathered on this board.
    It sure looks like backlash is starting to come back to the companies that promote such "unlimited" marketing propaganda practices.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    And that's fine. The only trouble is the manner in which it is being done. Given that these customers are no more a danger to their systems than they were yesterday, when we can suppose things were at least reasonably fine, they could get a notice of the change and a reasonable time frame in which to comply with the new restrictions.

The thing I find most surprising is that this (PR) lesson wasn't learned yet. They went through a similar thing back when the CPU usage measurements were changed.
    If Bluehost placed definitive "hard" limits on inodes and other resources from when they started way back in "1996", they would not be back peddling to be getting rid of loyal customers which have been in compliance with all terms and conditions from the intial hosting agreement.