Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hostnine - turn off site - no response in 72 hours

Hi all, this is to share my current experience trying to sort out problem with hostnine.

I have been with hostnine for a good 2 years with no major incidents. Have been a happy customer thinking this is it, after switching several hosting companies in the past. I hosted several wordpress and simple drupal websites on this account.

(June 24 1:37am), everything was turned off. A letter from Blake saying the account is suspended due to it causing major load issues on node58. He showed me a ps aufx listing from the console (?).

(June 24, 9:47am) Understood this is quite common in the industry in order to protect the other clients on the same node, I immediately pointed 1 domain which were mentioned in the email and asked if they can re-activate my account.

(June 24 10:35pm) 12 hours later, Alex emailed back with one sentence "We can provide a backup only of this. Do you need one?". I have followed up immediately explaining that I have pointed the domain away, in case the tech support have missed that out in the previous email.

(June 25 1230am) Shortly, Alex replied "Did you even look at the logs? it's more then one site causing this. We can provide a backup only."

The reply has gone a bit unreasonable. How many of you actually look at the logs and make sense that your site is causing any trouble?

(June 25 8:13am) After reading the reply, I realized that this is going nowhere. To minimize the downtime, I have asked for full backup files and databases so I can transfer my entire site to another hosting company.

(June 26 7:24am) 24 hours passed with no reply. I've sent them a followup.

(June 27 10:05am) 48 hours passed with no reply. Another followup.

(June 28 9:50am) 72 hours passed with no reply. Seems like email is getting nowhere either. I have decided to open a thread here hopefully to get it resolve via WHT.

All my websites suffered complete downtime for the past 4 days. I would have copied out all my files and redeploy them if cpanel is still accessible, but looks like account login was disabled as well. Now I am at their mercy to give me my backup, as and when they feel like it. At least that's what it appears to be at the moment.

Ticket ID [#BJT-278886].

How about calling them and inquiring: 877-251-4678

- Rick
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

I think it's funny how the majority of people's first post here are complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by krusknik View Post
    Hi all, this is to share my current experience trying to sort out problem with hostnine.

I have been with hostnine for a good 2 years with no major incidents. Have been a happy customer thinking this is it, after switching several hosting companies in the past. I hosted several wordpress and simple drupal websites on this account.

(June 24 1:37am), everything was turned off. A letter from Blake saying the account is suspended due to it causing major load issues on node58. He showed me a ps aufx listing from the console (?).

(June 24, 9:47am) Understood this is quite common in the industry in order to protect the other clients on the same node, I immediately pointed 1 domain which were mentioned in the email and asked if they can re-activate my account.

(June 24 10:35pm) 12 hours later, Alex emailed back with one sentence "We can provide a backup only of this. Do you need one?". I have followed up immediately explaining that I have pointed the domain away, in case the tech support have missed that out in the previous email.

(June 25 1230am) Shortly, Alex replied "Did you even look at the logs? it's more then one site causing this. We can provide a backup only."

The reply has gone a bit unreasonable. How many of you actually look at the logs and make sense that your site is causing any trouble?

(June 25 8:13am) After reading the reply, I realized that this is going nowhere. To minimize the downtime, I have asked for full backup files and databases so I can transfer my entire site to another hosting company.

(June 26 7:24am) 24 hours passed with no reply. I've sent them a followup.

(June 27 10:05am) 48 hours passed with no reply. Another followup.

(June 28 9:50am) 72 hours passed with no reply. Seems like email is getting nowhere either. I have decided to open a thread here hopefully to get it resolve via WHT.

All my websites suffered complete downtime for the past 4 days. I would have copied out all my files and redeploy them if cpanel is still accessible, but looks like account login was disabled as well. Now I am at their mercy to give me my backup, as and when they feel like it. At least that's what it appears to be at the moment.

Ticket ID [#BJT-278886].
    Either way, if he has a support ticket in and they offered a backup then he shouldn't be waiting 72 hours for a response.

At least they could do is respond and give an ETA on the backup availability.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915

Quote Originally Posted by EditDNS-Tyler View Post
    If all else fails post it in the most popular web hosting forum and people will read it

Ben should read it, he's on here regularly checking up.

I don't meant to post as a complaint. I have been giving them ample time to response, or at least give me an ETA of backup availability.

On my last email I've written but to no avail.
    "Hi, its been 48 hours. May I know when my backup files will be ready? This is my final request for the backup. I do not wish to spam WHT to get this issue resolved."

My only intention is to get this issue resolved ASAP, minimize the downtime and move on.

I don't meant to post as a complaint. I have been giving them ample time to response, or at least give me an ETA of backup availability.
    What he means is, A large majority of the first posts made and from newbies is a complaint against someone or some company.. They are welcome but they should not be posted in my opinion unless all avenues have been reached and their is no response from a company etc within an adequate timeframe, After all avenues have been researched and completed.

It is all he meant by this.
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

The OP seems to have detailed his situation quite reasonably without going on a rant. This puts it into a class quite different from the usual first post complaints.

There is this though:

At that point, support could easily have taken the approach of "We see you did not understand that other domains were also a problem, the domains are: x,y and z. Please let us know when you have dealt with those."

Spanking a customer with "Did you even look at the logs?" seems to be quite uncalled for. Especially when the customer seems willing to cooperate in rectifying the problem. Of course, that sometimes means actually communicating with the customer in a non-confrontational manner.

Unless of course, the methodology is to shed anyone who proves that they can consume resources. In other businesses its called "cherry picking".
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    What he means is, A large majority of the first posts made and from newbies is a complaint against someone or some company.. They are welcome but they should not be posted in my opinion unless all avenues have been reached and their is no response from a company etc within an adequate timeframe, After all avenues have been researched and completed.

It is all he meant by this.

Apologize if I misinterpreted the intention of the post.

If you understand human nature then you'll understand that "venting" frustration is a lot stronger motivator than signing up on a board to give a host a glowing review. If you think about it it's only natural to want to lash out or get some revenge if you think you've been wronged. That is why I'll always believe the sincerity of a bad review rather than a good review if someone signed up here just to post said good review.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

(June 29 8:55pm) Day 5, I've received a courtesy email from support. "You will receive an email when this has been completed. We apologize for the delay.".

After 3 days from the last email I am still waiting. Seriously, how difficult is it to zip up the folder or dump out the database?

Quote Originally Posted by krusknik View Post
    (June 29 8:55pm) Day 5, I've received a courtesy email from support. "You will receive an email when this has been completed. We apologize for the delay.".

After 3 days from the last email I am still waiting. Seriously, how difficult is it to zip up the folder or dump out the database?
    I have a hunch something is wrong here. Either they don't have your backup or they are way understaffed. Good Luck!

The files are always on the server. If they have not locked out my cpanel, I would have been able to access and copy out my files in no time.

Wow after reading your post im impressed that they have failed to act upon this hopefully they will provide you with the back up's and you can simply move forward good luck and god bless.
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

Sites have been offline for 9 days.. and counting.

On day 4, I have signed up with another hosting service (since they no longer wanted my business), re-pointing all my websites with "under construction" sign, expecting to be able to move on real soon. Well, I have been a little too optimistic.

People will sign up to post about issues they are facing but many looking for hosting never register and just browse/search.

Quote Originally Posted by raidz View Post
    I have a hunch something is wrong here. Either they don't have your backup or they are way understaffed. Good Luck!
    I know that I was trying to transfer some people away from HostNine the other day and the node had to be rebooted twice because it was refusing to generate backups. I was doing them one at a time and yet it wouldn't do it.

I don't see why they wouldn't provide you with a backup in a timely manner or at least get back to you. How big was your account (how much actual disk usage)?

The reason for that is because the hack hosting companies like Hostnine hold you hostage, blame there inadequacies on anything but themselves and then just flat out ignore you when **** hits the fan. Ben is a coward and should be put out of business!
    Its forums like this that allows the customer to speak out and let the truth be known. Anyone considering Host Nine as a provider is foolish and should find another. Save yourself the trouble.

Interesting first post.

Quote Originally Posted by junkyard View Post
    The reason for that is because the hack hosting companies like Hostnine hold you hostage, blame there inadequacies on anything but themselves and then just flat out ignore you when **** hits the fan. Ben is a coward and should be put out of business!
    Its forums like this that allows the customer to speak out and let the truth be known. Anyone considering Host Nine as a provider is foolish and should find another. Save yourself the trouble.
    And a domain you hosted with H9 in the past would be..?

That's what I thought.
    $this->hasFlavr() ? $nom->nom('nom') : $want->doNot()

My domains are irrelevant and my post could have been avoided if they had a shred of business sense. As situations arose, as they do, Host nines policy is ignore and blame and in some cases flat out lie, rather then just being honest and doing the best they can. It's sad when the Ops manager ducks a customers calls because he knows he is wrong and refuses to man up. SO I use a public forum to share my story and hopefully prevent others from having similar experiences. Maybe Hostnine will learn a lesson and treat the next customer a little better.

This is very bad news for you. I hope it all gets resolved asap! Good luck mate!

I do feel for the OP, theres no way he should still be waiting for his back ups from H9.

However he is responsible for keeping his own local back ups [on his pc],
    had he done that, his pain would be much less.

but yes hinesight is easy, but the tougher these lessons are, the better they are remembered.

Lets hope this all gets sorted 'eventualy'.

Unless some information is being left out from the OP, then hostnine is pathetic. How can you turn someone else's website(s) off without offering them some help, giving them an upgrade option, etc.

Anyways, I think this thread speaks volumes for customer service. Pathetic situation.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftsysHosting-Rick View Post
    How about calling them and inquiring: 877-251-4678

- Rick
    Did you ever attempt to call the number? I'd be ALL OVER THEM for MY files. Don't just let them brush it under the carpet.

My domains are irrelevant and my post could have been avoided if they had a shred of business sense. As situations arose, as they do, Host nines policy is ignore and blame and in some cases flat out lie, rather then just being honest and doing the best they can. It's sad when the Ops manager ducks a customers calls because he knows he is wrong and refuses to man up. SO I use a public forum to share my story and hopefully prevent others from having similar experiences. Maybe Hostnine will learn a lesson and treat the next customer a little better.
    Actually, your domains ARE relevant. When you go trash talking a hosting company, you best be able to back it up with a domain that WAS or IS hosted by said company.

Best of luck to the OP. Again, I'd be FURIOUS if that was me. I'm getting mad just reading this.

To all other hosting companies, don't do this crap to your customers.

SO I use a public forum to share my story .....
    Well so far the OP has shared his story, in a clear & concise manner, whereas you seem to be just ranting, so:
    Please actualy share your story by providing some facts.
    or if you can only rant, then WHT is not the forum for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast