Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dedicated Managed Server Recommendation

Hi

I have a dedicated server from LiquidWeb. It's 'ok', but I'm getting pissed off with how slow they are to fix problems e.g. my sites aren't working now and they take forever to respond to tickets.

Can anyone recommend a good managed host who have a good level of service? My current server costs $274/pm with monitoring:

• Processor: Dual Xeon E5405 <b>Quad Core</b> (Harpertown)
    • Memory: 4GB DDR2 PC5300
    • Hd1: 160GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache
    • Hd2: 160GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache
    • HD3: Backup
    • OS: Linux - CentOS 5/ ControlPanel: CPanel / Web Host Manager
    • Bandwidth: 4800GB Monthly Transfer (2400 in + 2400 out)
    I have 4 wordpress sites (1 big one doing around 2-3m PV/mth and the others 1m PV/mth combined) and 2 forums (biggest does 0.75m PV/mth). The big blog and forum are growing fast and will probably double by the year end, so I think I think I need more RAM and also bandwidth (I'm at about 1.2TB now).

Thanks in advance

EB

Well, it seems like a pretty good deal for the money you're paying, so you might expect to pay more, or you could lower to a single high-end quad core and get more RAM, as I'm guessing you're not really doing that much processing, though I could be wrong. Contact some companies and ask for quotes, and make sure you specify what you're expecting from them in terms of management.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Thanks. I'm going to be depending full time soon on the site income so I panic now when the sites go down!

I've had the following offer via PM:

Intel Quad Core Q9550 2.83GHz Processor
    8GB RAM
    2x 250GB SATA Drives RAID1
    250GB Remote Backup Space
    CentOS 5.3 Operating System
    cPanel/WHM Control Panel
    FREE Managed Services Included
    24/7 Technical Support Included
    FREE Migration Assistance Included
    1500GB Monthly Traffic on 100Mbps Uplink Port
    $269.00/month & FREE Setup!

Is that a better CPU?

Offers by PM are against the rules here. I suggest since the provider is knowingly breaking rules you should avoid said provider and report the PM to the WHT mods.

Cheers
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by Everton View Post
    I've had the following offer via PM:

Intel Quad Core Q9550 2.83GHz Processor
    8GB RAM
    2x 250GB SATA Drives RAID1
    250GB Remote Backup Space
    CentOS 5.3 Operating System
    cPanel/WHM Control Panel
    FREE Managed Services Included
    24/7 Technical Support Included
    FREE Migration Assistance Included
    1500GB Monthly Traffic on 100Mbps Uplink Port
    $269.00/month & FREE Setup!

Is that a better CPU?
    If you received this offer by PM as reaction on your post here you should report the person who PM'ed you to a moderator (use the report button at the right hand corner of the private message send).

Edit: FastServ did beat me to it; he is absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    Offers by PM are against the rules here. I suggest since the provider is knowingly breaking rules you should avoid said provider and report the PM to the WHT mods.

Cheers
    Done - will report now

Hi

I have a dedicated server from LiquidWeb. It's 'ok', but I'm getting pissed off with how slow they are to fix problems e.g. my sites aren't working now and they take forever to respond to tickets.

Can anyone recommend a good managed host who have a good level of service? My current server costs $274/pm with monitoring:

• Processor: Dual Xeon E5405 <b>Quad Core</b> (Harpertown)
    • Memory: 4GB DDR2 PC5300
    • Hd1: 160GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache
    • Hd2: 160GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache
    • HD3: Backup
    • OS: Linux - CentOS 5/ ControlPanel: CPanel / Web Host Manager
    • Bandwidth: 4800GB Monthly Transfer (2400 in + 2400 out)
    I have 4 wordpress sites (1 big one doing around 2-3m PV/mth and the others 1m PV/mth combined) and 2 forums (biggest does 0.75m PV/mth). The big blog and forum are growing fast and will probably double by the year end, so I think I think I need more RAM and also bandwidth (I'm at about 1.2TB now).

Thanks in advance

EB
    I don't see any backups in there or security. Which is crucial for a database driven site like yours. Or any RAID1 for maximum uptime.
    Jay

Hi

We have a ticket response time SLA, what is your ticket number?
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand

You got a very good price for the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidWebTravis View Post
    We have a ticket response time SLA, what is your ticket number?
    hi - have a look at 1696943, 1696115 and 1696104 and the length between responses. Maybe somebody was looking at them, but all the team had to say is 'we are investigating, please wait'. It was doubly frustrating as this was all happening at 1am in the morning in the UK and i wanted to sleep.

For database intensive sites consider SAS hdd with raid rather than SATA for faster IO rates.

Quote Originally Posted by jayglate View Post
    I don't see any backups in there or security. Which is crucial for a database driven site like yours. Or any RAID1 for maximum uptime.
    I have a backup to a 3rd drive. HD1 and HD2 RAID.

For a dual quad harpertown and two hard drives (raid?)

As well as cpanel and bandwidth and being Managed (depending on their definition of managed).

It's an absolute steal.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

I have a backup to a 3rd drive. HD1 and HD2 RAID.
    A 3rd drive backup for a database driven site is pretty useless. You need to backup your database via CDP backup solution which will back up your database in real time.
    Jay

Right, but does he need 10TB of bw? It isn't all about BW its about service, support, quality and what the client needs and best feels to suit him.
    Jay

hi - have a look at 1696943, 1696115 and 1696104 and the length between responses. Maybe somebody was looking at them, but all the team had to say is 'we are investigating, please wait'. It was doubly frustrating as this was all happening at 1am in the morning in the UK and i wanted to sleep.
    Hope it is already resolved by this time.

I am sure they can fix this for you. Just give them some time.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    Hope it is already resolved by this time.

I am sure they can fix this for you. Just give them some time.
    They did in the end - it's the initial response where they are lacking when server owners are worrying if anyone is there!

Why I recommend 10TB

At 10TB I get good and realiable service, support, quality and fast 1gbps port

I have been in HostGator for 5 years. They give a very good service but they cannot give nore than 2.5GB

Hi

Liquidweb's support team have gone AWOL again so I am definitely leaving now. I'm sick and tired of feeling I have to monitor the server 24 hours a day because they are slow to respond to problems, and then I'm unable to get anyone to respond. They may be cheap, but the service just isn't good enough and I'm losing more than I'm saving in downtime and my personal time than I'm saving in cash.

I have a budget of $300-500/pm:

- I need as much horsepower as possible to run some very big WordPress blogs and 2 SMF forums e.g. 1 big server, a db/web server combo etc.
    - I need a min of 10TB bandwidth

Hi

Liquidweb's support team have gone AWOL again so I am definitely leaving now. I'm sick and tired of feeling I have to monitor the server 24 hours a day because they are slow to respond to problems, and then I'm unable to get anyone to respond. They may be cheap, but the service just isn't good enough and I'm losing more than I'm saving in downtime and my personal time than I'm saving in cash.

I have a budget of $300-500/pm:

- I need as much horsepower as possible to run some very big WordPress blogs and 2 SMF forums e.g. 1 big server, a db/web server combo etc.
    - I need a min of 10TB bandwidth
    Also, good 24x7 Support with automatic monitoring and fast response times. I don't want to keep waking up and finding my site down and no-one working on the problem unless I'm there to ask

One more edit. My min 10TB may be a bit too high. I'm currently at 2TB In, so I need 5TB In min

One more edit. My min 10TB may be a bit too high. I'm currently at 2TB In, so I need 5TB In min
    Is that your limitation or is that what you are actually using, they are 2 entirely different numbers and you are going to rule out providers who not over such large bandwidth allocations (even if you will never use it).

More importantly, why are they consistently having to address issues with your system? It sounds like you are having a problem and each time all that is getting done is a temporary work around/service restarts but never actually address the issue.

Maybe you should look at having the issue addressed first then re-evaulate the system requirements.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Mc View Post
    Is that your limitation or is that what you are actually using, they are 2 entirely different numbers and you are going to rule out providers who not over such large bandwidth allocations (even if you will never use it).

More importantly, why are they consistently having to address issues with your system? It sounds like you are having a problem and each time all that is getting done is a temporary work around/service restarts but never actually address the issue.

Maybe you should look at having the issue addressed first then re-evaulate the system requirements.
    My limitation is 2.4TB and I'm currently using 2TB, so will burst through limit any day soon.

They probably are just doing temporary fixes. The issue I have is that their response time is so bad, and given how many tickets I have to raise or are raised automatically, why aren't they doing the in-depth work automatically?

I agree that getting the prob fixed and then sizing my reqs may be a good idea, but every day I delay is costing me money, and I'd rather overpay now to get peace of mind and sleep at night!

My limitation is 2.4TB and I'm currently using 2TB, so will burst through limit any day soon.

They probably are just doing temporary fixes. The issue I have is that their response time is so bad, and given how many tickets I have to raise or are raised automatically, why aren't they doing the in-depth work automatically?

I agree that getting the prob fixed and then sizing my reqs may be a good idea, but every day I delay is costing me money, and I'd rather overpay now to get peace of mind and sleep at night!
    Correcting the problem will likely be faster than moving systems and I would suggest you look at getting the problem addressed first so you know the cause because it could go either way, you may find out your next systems are drastically under-spec'ed or you may find it's an application level issue and once corrected they will be drastically over-spec'ed.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast