Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone considering Hostnine VPS's

Well I lost an entire VPS with redundancy and a seperate partition with all of the backups. I haven't gotten my data and it has been 5 days. They say a temp VPS has been setup with the same credentials but I have been unable to log in. But that will not help me. I need those sites up!

On their site it states:

"True GRID Based Solutions
    The H9 Grid Services provides across-the-grid mirroring. If a server becomes unresponsive, all data remains available. Any affected application components will automatically be restarted on new resources throughout the grid with no operator intervention required."

How could have I lost everything if there was TRUE grid mirroring? How long would it take for someone to get the data back? Really I must know, what is the point of stringing me along, but have no problem taking money for a service not provided.

I wounder what that company can say you in reply to this. I suppose you should try to solve that in help with them

Have you tried submitting a ticket or calling them at 1-877-251-HOST?

Well if you want your datas back, first the VPS will have to be online. Unless they provide a link to download your backup files.

Perhaps their node is just way too big so it's taking a while to recover.

Have you try contacting them for an ETA of your vps to come back?

This happened on Tuesday, And Yes I have been in constant contact, Ben is supposed to be contacting me later on. I just thought I could get some additional information by people more experienced than I to help me find a remedy to my problem.

Sorry to say this but my experiences with H9 were not pleasant. I hope they can assist you with this pronto. Have you been in touch with Ben? Ben to me is the one with the knowledge and ability to make things happen quickly. If Ben is already on it and you are still waiting there is probably something on their end they are trying to sort. They are active on their own personal forums and a post can give them "motivation" at times to work a little harder.

Best Wishes

bigks,

Thanks for you letting me know some alternatives. Sadly, I did post on their forums a few days ago with the ticket number. Nick, Alex, have been pretty nice and seem to be on my side on this. Ben in the past has been pretty good as well, All I want is my server restored. I already have two lawyers pretty ticked off, one is my client and the other is one of my best clients' lawyer.

I will say this, Hostnine has not been bad to me, but this type of incident will destroy ME and MY reputation because I thought I was protected with the promise of being able to get my data back.

Trust me I share your pain, been in the same position as you and it just seemed as if it was excuse after excuse while I was the only one left to deal with the headaches. Might I recommend futurehosting to you when you retrieve your data? I have been through many host along the way and future has been the "best of the best".

I have to say with H9 there was a point where a post in the "review" forum was the only way to get my data pronto. Have you considered a review on their forums as Ben is typically monitoring this and of course a company is always different when things are in full blown view of potential clients.

Again good luck buddy

P.S.

I have not been with H9 for some time so I feel the review I could leave would not benefit anyone from "how things used to be". If you have time, for the sake of other wht members, do you mind posting a review here just for "FYI" purposes.

bigks,

Actually, their excuse was to say it failed. They aren't saying it was my fault etc. It is just the lack of resolve to get my data back. The temporary VPS is up, but I cannot even log into it. And even if I could. What good is it with none of the data?

Host Nine MAY have a grid for your data but nothing is safe. Even RAID can fail. Anything is possible. Make sure that you always have a remote backup in place. I am sure that we do learn from our mistakes and other people's mistakes as well. Just throwing my two cents in.

*shrug* nightly off-site backups are the best method. Theoretically, the provider should have some sort of backup and with your offsite backup then loss of data is almost non-existent.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915

Still no response from Ben, I talked with Nick again yesterday and he said Ben will call me... This is getting very very aggravating because I can do NOTHING for my clients. I am waiting on the phone for over 15-30 minutes waiting for tech support.

So after the waiting music plays, it just rings and rings and rings... this is at 3:12pm CDT. Does it seem that they are avoiding me?
    Last edited by Kiyi; 06-28-2009 at 04:13 PM.

still no response from them.

Holy cow, are you serious? How outdated is your backup on hand?

Bigks,

Dead serious, They have always been pretty good for me, this is the first time they have been this way.

Pretty outdated, the recent backup I had was on a partition on the VPS.

The longest I have seen a failed server take to recover is two weeks time. Considering how long they have kept you in the back burner (unprofessional to say the least) if you hit the two week mark chances are the data is gone for good. I am searching my mailbox for Bens personal e-mail address right now. If I find it I will PM you.

Ben has contacted me, no resolve yet. But I am working to see if there is a solution. I am just keeping this updated so people can see that these issues can be fixed if proceeded with no screaming, whining or name-calling.

Once the solution is found by Hostnine and I, I will post what happened and show you how they resolved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyi View Post
    Well I lost an entire VPS with redundancy and a seperate partition with all of the backups. I haven't gotten my data and it has been 5 days. They say a temp VPS has been setup with the same credentials but I have been unable to log in. But that will not help me. I need those sites up!

On their site it states:

"True GRID Based Solutions
    The H9 Grid Services provides across-the-grid mirroring. If a server becomes unresponsive, all data remains available. Any affected application components will automatically be restarted on new resources throughout the grid with no operator intervention required."

How could have I lost everything if there was TRUE grid mirroring? How long would it take for someone to get the data back? Really I must know, what is the point of stringing me along, but have no problem taking money for a service not provided.
    As stated to you in the ticket our grid systems are resold through fastservers.net. We simply resell them as if they were a dedicated server. They manage all of the hardware. The data storage became corrupted therefore the data is not usable. The Applogic system runs VPS's off of a central data storage that way if something happens the data can be routed to another node within the grid system. In this case your data became corrupted and you do not have backups. We do not offer backups on VPS systems as stated on our website. I'm sorry to hear this happend to you but at the end of the day you should always take off-site backups as hardware can fail at any time.
    Ben Gabler
    Chairman & CEO, Rocket.net
    Web Hosting Industry Veteran (HostNine, Hostgator, GoDaddy, StackPath)

Scott Aylward - Posted On: 26 Jun 2009 10:38 AM
    We have received confirmation from the software developers that they are unable to recover the VPS account. Unfortunately this does mean that the data associated with that host is no longer available. Please let us know if you have any questions about the replacement VPS that we have provisioned.

That is directly from fastservers.net. We do not offer backups for our Grid VPS solutions at HostNine as we do not manage them. It's the same as if we sold you a dedicated server. We simply resell hardware someone else manages.

Once again I am very sorry for your situation but unfortunately this is not our fault. It was a hardware issue at fastservers.net and they did they best they could with their dev/tech team to retreive the data and unfortunately it was not retreivable.

We always recommend off-site backups to every HostNine customer as it's always best to have copies of your own data in case of an emergency.
    Ben Gabler
    Chairman & CEO, Rocket.net
    Web Hosting Industry Veteran (HostNine, Hostgator, GoDaddy, StackPath)

Ben,

I didn't hear anything about the data not being able to be retrieved until this morning. So I don't know why you think I knew since the 24th.

I have yet to get access to the new VPS. So for over a week, I still have no VPS. I cannot recommend Hostnine for their VPS's. Their advertise reduncacy never worked, and they are unresponsive unless you post something here on WHT.

Hate to hear that Kiyi. Some recoveries can take over a week to complete so I am hoping they are still attempting this for you. Some admins are familiar with DoD recovery situations which can bring data back after being written over 5 times (it's supposed to be 7 but I have never recovered a 7). I just hope your clients are sympathetic to your situation.

No they aren't attempting anything, I even hired someone to help and they will allow no access to the area where the data is. The thing is, I can't even access the "new" vps.

And Ben said he told me the data wasn't recoverable the entire time, which isn't true, he told me Monday.

I know they were claiming redundancy on these setups....so....since they offered you a service and did not extend the service as promised have they offered to refund you for all time hosted? To me if the service is offered it should be given to the customer correct?

Very sorry to hear this - I wonder how many other systems were affected if their centralized storage was corrupted.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast