Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Using SAS drive, connector/cable question

    if i were to add a 15k SAS drive in a home pc,what cables do i need ?

    i have only SATA ports on my SATA and SAS compatible with each other ?

    or do i have to get a dedicated SAS controller.I do have an extra pcie-16 and pci slot on my mainboard.


  2. #2
    yes, you would need a SAS controller to be able to run a SAS drive in the pc. I would suggest something like an adaptec 2405, they are great controllers for around $200. It will do 4 drives internally in raid0, raid1, or raid 10 configurations. You can run SAS or SATA drives with it. You would need a SFF-8087 breakout cable to go with it. I would suggest something like this one ACK-I-mSASx4-SAS4x1-FO-1M which is an adaptec part number. There is a couple different options on the breakout cables. I'm sure some other folks here could suggest them as well. But this would at least give you an idea as to cost.

Similar Threads

  1. Is it my Cable Modem or cable service?
    By Mike235 in forum Computers and Peripherals
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-18-2006, 06:27 PM
  2. IDE ATA Cable Connector
    By qllonceagain in forum Colocation and Data Centers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-29-2005, 05:53 AM
  3. Cable Internet Speed Question
    By mj4589 in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 12:14 AM
  4. Floppy Drive/Cable Question.
    By viGeek in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-17-2002, 12:19 AM
  5. Cable Modem Users.(question)
    By viGeek in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-05-2002, 03:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts