Arrow Do I need a tape to backup on a RAQ550-server??

Hi,

since a few weeks I have, as a webdesigner, my own dedicated RAQ550-webserver. I have 2x40GB space, so that is enough.

Now I am already familiar with the server but I still do not know how to make a backup from the server.
    It isn't clear to me from the manual.

1) Do I need a "tape" or something?

2) Can I make a backup on my own computer or on a certain space of the harddisk on the server?

3) How "often" do I need to backup the server!!!

Thanks for ALL information!!!

It depends on what you want, really. You can backup hard drive to hard drive, least you could in the backup software provided in the RAQ4, and I would assume you can in the RAQ550. Then just download the file it creates.

Also, check and see if your hosting company offers network backup. Often times this is another $25 a month or so.

As for often, it all depends on how paranoid you are. I prefer to backup fully once a week and do incrementals daily.
    Jason Murdock

Three posts to your account, three questions, three threads? Two of them being the exact same!?!?!?!

Thread #3: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=87167
    Thread #2: This one
    Thread #1: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=87169

Get a life looser or learn to pick up a book. (or search these forums that is)

Three posts to your account, three questions, three threads? Two of them being the exact same!?!?!?! .Get a life looser or learn to pick up a book. (or search these forums that is)

My explanation:
    I was searching google to find some information on 2 topics (Backup on RAQ550 and WEBMAIl on RAQ550).
    I came to this forum and was very excited. That's why I posted the question on a backup first on the dedicated forum first before I found out about the Cobalt Raq-forum.

OK, I am a newbie on this and want to learn quickly. I am sorry to have posted 2 questions, with a repost of 1 question on 2 forums.
    My mistake. It won't happen again. Sorry! :-(

Some people here have nothing better to do than flame you so don't worry about it. I don't have many posts, but I try and make what I post useful.

If you are a newbie on a raq, try the following link http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/

There are tens of thousands of messages on the raq archived here. Go to the section called "Linux Distributions" and there is one there called cobalt-users and cobalt-developers. You would want to go in the cobalt-users section.

Good luck.

Just take it in stride, man. Don't let him get to you.
    Jason Murdock