Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hi, even though we can only change our OS once per month what about the ability to re-install (reload) the same OS on the VDS/VPS? Do we need ticket for that or can we do it ourselves anytime we want using VDS panel?

Quote Originally Posted by reebock View Post
    Hi, even though we can only change our OS once per month what about the ability to re-install (reload) the same OS on the VDS/VPS? Do we need ticket for that or can we do it ourselves anytime we want using VDS panel?
    I doubt they would allow it, as the rationale behind this was to keep audit trail in case of fraudulent / criminal activities.

But this is kind of contradictory to desire of have a VPS, as most customer would like a OS level flexibility. I have watched the offering forum for some time, I'd say this is most restrictive policy among all the VPS providers. most others just say what's not allowed, while this one simply give a short whitelist.

Quote Originally Posted by advantagecom View Post
    Fedora is very desktop oriented, has a very short development cycle, and provides no upgrade path. Every Fedora installation is orphaned permanently 6 months after the release date. Additionally, it is not uncommon for Fedora to be stuck with show-stopper bugs and security flaws that are only fixed in later releases. Since they provide no upgrade path, that's not a good place to be as a customer or a hosting provider.
    This is not true. Fedora/CentOS/RedHat all have desktop versions (all depending on focus of selecting packages). In addition, it's entirely possible to upgrade between Fodora releases without re-installing from scratch. And a user can upgrade Fedora to next release (say from 10->11, or 11->12 when it becomes available), from command line, without having the need to open a ticket with you. Assume it's Xen based VPS and can have its own kernel.

Fedora can take advantage of latest development and latest libraries. It indeed posts some risk of reliability, while others who do not limit themselves in web hosting business would like to enjoy new features.

We have chosen not to offer xen-tools for several good reasons. First, out of all the OS we offer, it only supports Debian. Second, we administratively decided that allowing customers to reimage their own hwVPS presented too great a liability in the cases of fraudulent or criminal activity. Lastly, it simply doesn't offer enough flexibility to setup an hwVPS the way we do it with three different sources for storage (fast, big, and swap).
    Understood that you come from administrative perspective, but not sure how this policy would please most of customers.

What about cPanel?

Quote Originally Posted by Zerromi View Post
    Regarding your policy about non-standard apps running, do you normally allow Shoutcast streaming radio to be run from the VPSes?

(I also assume that the VPSes are built with a sufficient app base to run normal blogging software like Wordpress and the like.)
    Shoutcast is fine and doesn't require approval.

Since we have no way of knowing ahead of time what purpose the hwVPS will be used for, we install it in such a way that yum, apt-get, or ports are completely functional and run on a minimal install of the OS. You're welcome to install whatever software you want or need that isn't against our terms of service. For instance, for an hwVPS with CentOS, you'd want to do a 'yum install' of apache, mysql, php, and any other requisite software. Yum takes care of the hard part. You'd then install Wordpress. If you experience any trouble, our support team is there to help you learn how to do it. If you need us to do it for you, we have a Managed hwVPS option available.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney
    CTO, Advantagecom Networks
    http://www.SimplyWebHosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by HWC-khalemi View Post
    damn..if only I saw your offer earlier...i wont be stuck on my openvz vps. (of course, if you post earlier ;-) )
    how much do you charge for additional IP ?, so after 30th, what would be the normal price for xen 1GB ?

(saw that BBB, that's good)
    Additional IP addresses are between $3.50/month per IP for the Starter hwVPS and $1.30/month per IP for the Expert hwVPS.

If you order after the 30th, our regular prices are listed on our web site. The Starter hwVPS regular price is $30/month and it goes up from there.

That said, we're working to fill these nodes, so we'll undoubtedly be back on the offers section every week until they are full. We may not be offering deals quite this good later on, though.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney

Quote Originally Posted by reebock View Post
    Changing to a different OS is limited to once per month, but reimaging your hwVPS to the same OS in a fresh state can be done as often as you need, within reason. We might object if you're doing it several times a day all month long. It does require a support ticket to reimage your hwVPS. We do not allow customers to reimage their own VPS for security and technical support reasons.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney

Quote Originally Posted by xkey View Post
    This is not true. Fedora/CentOS/RedHat all have desktop versions (all depending on focus of selecting packages). In addition, it's entirely possible to upgrade between Fodora releases without re-installing from scratch. And a user can upgrade Fedora to next release (say from 10->11, or 11->12 when it becomes available), from command line, without having the need to open a ticket with you. Assume it's Xen based VPS and can have its own kernel.

Fedora can take advantage of latest development and latest libraries. It indeed posts some risk of reliability, while others who do not limit themselves in web hosting business would like to enjoy new features.

Understood that you come from administrative perspective, but not sure how this policy would please most of customers.
    Your points are well taken about Fedora. I'll examine it again in the coming week. The ability to upgrade must have come about sometime after Fedora 5.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney

Quote Originally Posted by anthoniex3 View Post
    What about cPanel?
    CPanel is not included, but is available as a paid option at $30/month and a $30 setup.

We offer BlueOnyx as a free control panel option that can be preinstalled at no charge if selected during the order process.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney

Out of curiosity, if I were to order now, what sort of turn-around time would I be looking at?

Out of curiosity, if I were to order now, what sort of turn-around time would I be looking at?
    It depends on what you ordered. What plan and what OS would you order?
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney

IRC is not inherently bad. It's just that bad people look for hosting accounts for their IRC to avoid exposing themselves directly to law enforcement. It's quite simple.

Actually, if someone is trying to avoid exposing themselves directly to law enforcement, you would do something like the following:

Root a server/computer (Every country that has internet access has extensive amounts of zombie machines)
    Use a proxy or TOR

Not looking for a host that allows IRC....

There is nothing wrong with IRC. If you're going to get DDoS'd, you're going to get it regardless if you're running an IRCd, or IRC client on a server.

It depends on what you ordered. What plan and what OS would you order?
    Most likely, an Enhanced hwVPS with CentOS.

Although the above linked post is a bit disconcerting. No yum or other package management system with the CentOS VPSes?

nice VPS, but i dont understand why i need to enter domain name and nameservers?

i enter my domain and fake nameservers. is it OK?

Most likely, an Enhanced hwVPS with CentOS.

Although the above linked post is a bit disconcerting. No yum or other package management system with the CentOS VPSes?
    CentOS is 1 business day setup. So if you ordered right now, you'd be setup by the end of the day on Monday (Pacific time, GMT -7:00).

If you ordered Monday, you'd be setup sometime before the end of Tuesday.

That said, we're going to be setting up a bunch of these tomorrow, so it could be sooner.

We're working through the automation of setups, so they are getting faster.

Regarding your concern about yum, please ignore that troll. I don't know what rock he crawled out from under. The post he references is about a completely different line of services based on Virtuozzo. If a Virtuozzo VPS is provisioned by HSPC (now Parallels Business Automation), yum is not installed or supported. Using yum on a Virtuozzo VPS provisioned by HSPC can break the control panel functions in HSPC. The hwVPS offered on this thread are based on Xen and yum is installed and completely functional on Linux distributions that use it. No worries.
    Last edited by advantagecom; 06-28-2009 at 03:42 AM. Reason: forgot to answer the last part of the question
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney

Quote Originally Posted by alex6999 View Post
    nice VPS, but i dont understand why i need to enter domain name and nameservers?

i enter my domain and fake nameservers. is it OK?
    The domain name field is necessary since it is what we will setup when installing the OS on the hwVPS. It's a basic part of networking. That said, if you don't care if you have a working hostname, then you're welcome to supply a fake one, but we're not going to let you call it www.bankofamerica.com , for instance.

As far as the nameserver fields, that's a quirk of the billing system. We're transitioning away from HSPC to WHMCS and are still working out some of the finer points of the new system. The fields aren't really necessary. Just put something in them so you don't get an error message.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney

Thank you for your updates - I decided to pull the trigger after all.

It seems, however, that my invoice hasn't been marked as paid even though the Paypal transaction went through without a hitch. I guess this needs to be done manually?

Thank you for your updates - I decided to pull the trigger after all.

It seems, however, that my invoice hasn't been marked as paid even though the Paypal transaction went through without a hitch. I guess this needs to be done manually?
    We've noted that PayPal payments that don't have a verified shipping address included with the payment are not automatically accepted due to the payment accept settings on our PayPal account. As each order is fraud screened, we accept payments for orders that pass fraud screening and the invoice is marked as paid at that time.

Without knowing some details that I could match to an order (an order time or invoice number, for instance), I wouldn't be able to say for certain that this applies in your case.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney

Invoice #27, paid at 3:12 AM, CDT. Thank you for your prompt response.

We've noted that PayPal payments that don't have a verified shipping address included with the payment are not automatically accepted due to the payment accept settings on our PayPal account.
    paypal doesnot send shipping address in subscriptions.

Invoice #27, paid at 3:12 AM, CDT. Thank you for your prompt response.
    Your order passed fraud screening and your payment has been accepted. Thank you!
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney

paypal doesnot send shipping address in subscriptions.
    PayPal subscriptions are automatically accepted. When PayPal is selected as the payment method, our billing system allows customers to pay by one time or setup a subscription.

The one time PayPal payments without a confirmed shipping address or from unverified PayPal accounts are the ones that require us to review and accept the payments. I believe this only applied to U.S. PayPal users if the PayPal payment accept settings page in our account can be believed.

We had that setting in there for when we sold our old equipment on ebay, but we can work around that. I've changed the setting so that it no longer requires a confirmed shipping address for the payment to be automatically accepted.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney

i have verified us paypal account, but payment status - unclaimed.
    Invoice #26

and your website very hard to navigate, i cannot find how to login.

PS: i found, Services->VPS order->Client Area. not easy way

I also signed up yesterday and it shows unclaimed. Does this just mean it has not yet been processed? I am invoice #25 :-)

i have verified us paypal account, but payment status - unclaimed.
    Invoice #26

and your website very hard to navigate, i cannot find how to login.

PS: i found, Services->VPS order->Client Area. not easy way
    Your order has not been fraud screened yet. Once it has, your payment will be accepted and setup will begin.

Regarding the "unclaimed" status, that is because we had our PayPal account set to "ask us" regarding accepting one time payments from U.S. account holders that did not supply a verified shipping address.

Since the time of your order we have changed our PayPal account settings to automatically accept one time payments without requiring a shipping address. This should not be a problem with future orders.

Regarding the difficulty you had finding where to login to the billing system, we're looking into the best way to resolve that.

We've been doing hosting since 1997 and we've had several different billing systems over the years. If we just put up a link on simplywebhosting.com to our newest billing system, it would confuse users still on the older billing systems. We're looking at ways to do this while keeping it easy for everyone.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast