* which host for portfolio site?

hello folks,

i would love to get some help from you to choose the right host for me.

i want to build a portfolio (photography) site with indexhibit. i currently use pixelpost.

i need:
    - at least 3 mysql db's
    - not so much storage
    - eu based host (target audience will mainly be from eu)
    - 4 or more sub domains would be great
    - multiple sites/domains would be nice, but not required

i'm willing to pay for good speed/service, but hosts like pair, are an overkill, for now.

i'm currently with a2hosting, they are too slow for me.
    i wouldn't mind use a us host, but the load times will be better if a choose a eu host, right?

can you guys recommend me a stable, not crappy host?
    clook looks quite nice, i'm thinking about moving to them...

regards

Hi,

If you have good budget $50-$100/mo then you can get a higher end VPS for your site that's managed, otherwise you're going to be just fine with a good sized shared hosting package around $10-$20/mo. or even cheaper ones.

Do you require any control panels?

Good luck
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

load times from EU and USA servers are hardly noticeable on websites - if you were running a VoIP server or Game server then you'd have to worry

and I'm not sure if getting a VPS would be a good idea since you say you have just small sites - how much space and bandwidth are you using anyway? that answer will tell you if you'll be fine with a shared or have to move to a VPS/dedicated.

With something as simple as that I'd suggest shared web hosting. It's efficient yet affordable and most of the time reliable.
    Hosting-ASAP - Shared cPanel/Gigabit Web Hosting | No Overselling
    "We don't work nine to five. We work till the job is done! There's no exceptions."

i'm willing to pay around 15-20$ max/month.
    my bandwith usage is around 500 mb and i need approx 1 gb storage space.

a vps is to much for my needs.

if the load times don't differ that much between eu/us, i guess i'll go for a us host, since i get more and pay less for my money.

i currently use cpanel, which is pretty easy in my opinion, but i'm open for other solutions.

any recommendations?

i'm tempted to go to pair, but surpass looks quite good as well and cheaper.

You can contact to the hosts on your list and ask them for the location of the server on where you're going to be hosted, if you're in Europe, try to not get a host on the US west coast, you'll notice more of the difference of a site on the west or east coast than one in USA or Europe.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Midusian View Post
    i'm willing to pay around 15-20$ max/month.
    my bandwith usage is around 500 mb and i need approx 1 gb storage space.

a vps is to much for my needs.

if the load times don't differ that much between eu/us, i guess i'll go for a us host, since i get more and pay less for my money.

i currently use cpanel, which is pretty easy in my opinion, but i'm open for other solutions.

any recommendations?

i'm tempted to go to pair, but surpass looks quite good as well and cheaper.
    there needs to be more people with your requirements and budget lol

a typical shared host would do - and since it's cpanel you should ask your new host if they can move your site for free - that's always a plus in my books.

as for good hosts, innohost, mddhosting, etc. are all pretty good hosts - they should be able to help you out.
    Last edited by njoker555; 06-25-2009 at 09:30 PM.

With that budget you can easily get a fast hosting provider.

For European providers check poundhost.co.uk, eukhost.com, uk2.net.

A hosting provider that is physically closer will be faster but by not that much really. You could have an EU host with a slow server which would be slower than a US provider with a more powerful server.

If your heart is set on a European host just hang around these boards and a few will soon stand out. Then do some searching on these boards and on Google. Your budget is very sensible so take your time and choose wisely. Good luck.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability