Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darkeden View Post
    I read the tos and yes you are violating the tos from what I have seen. I dont think any host would allow 40gb of files for pictures etc. You do understand that can be over 400 times what the average user uses right
    I should add that ... the tos says if your using a large amount of space *simplfied* that they can suspend you
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.
      0 Not allowed!

An "unlimited plan" is simply one without artificial and arbitrary quotas. It is not a claim of defying the laws of nature by possessing infinite hard drives. Those that tell you unlimited does not exist are uneducated regarding the realities of the "unlimited" hosting environment, or they are practitioners of FUD marketing. (And they are probably posting their disinformation on their ISP's "unlimited" internet account. Maybe they call their friends and tell them that on their unlimited cell phone plan. Perhaps tonight they will all meet at the local all-you-can-eat buffet).

The purpose of the unlimited plan is to take the confusion and guesswork out of choosing between geeky and multiple quota-based plans. 95% of websites suitable for a shared hosting environment are under 200mb. 99.9% are below 1GB. But some seem fixated on that less than 0.1%, such as yours at 45GB, and go off on a tizzy about the evil unlimited plan.

Good luck
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ
      0 Not allowed!

I'm using 44277.66 MB disk space.
    I'm curious, how much monthly data transfer are you using with your site?

As for the situation you're in, it's a sad one. You're still getting a relatively good treatment, as you're offered time to salvage you data, find alternative solutions etc. At a lot of other hosts, your account would have been suspended at this point, and you'd be praying for backups of your files (if you didn't have some already).

The reality of things is that you've been getting $1+ worth of service for every dime you were spending. That time is over. A site like yours needs to go beyond budget hosting.

I do find it strange that they so openly say you're using too much space, when they're advertising unlimited space. There are so many other indirect ways having essentially the same effect. Their policies seem a bit confusing (hence the live chat tech managing to dig his own hole).
      0 Not allowed!

If you're only using 43GB, you could always try dreamhost.. they offer unlimited+50GB (I lol'd just typing that out)
      0 Not allowed!

You were hoping to get away with 50gb worth of images on a $3/monthly shared hosting plan?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    If you're only using 43GB, you could always try dreamhost.. they offer unlimited+50GB (I lol'd just typing that out)
    Unlimited "web site space" + 50gb of backup space...

You'll likely run into the same issue - you simply aren't going to get that much storage and the transfer that goes along with it for what you've been paying.

You're looking at a VPS at the least and a low to mid-grade dedicated server at the other end of the scale.

You can of course do what everybody else does which is hop from host to host to host as they tell you "Sorry, your site is too big for shared hosting."
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.
      0 Not allowed!

At the end of the day it's all about what your site is worth to you. If it's worth $4/mo then sure, skip from unlimited host to unlimited host and just accept that you'll keep having to do that. If it's worth more to you then it's time to get a sensible package or maybe a custom package with a host. To be honest at 43gb usage you probably want a VPS just because you get more space and will be cheaper than shared hosting most probably. And I'm sure you'll continue to add more images.

People have an array of "hobbies" and personal sites on the net should be considered one - yet people don't. You'll have someone pay $100/mo for a gym subscription without a blink and spend maybe 3 hours a week there but then balk at $20/mo for a hosting account which they spend 10+ hours a week on.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.
      0 Not allowed!

The original poster posed a question:

is powweb telling lies to (cheating) users?

The answer is no, but the story begs a different question:

Is anipics completely unrealistic as to what a 4 buck a month shared hosting plan offers?

The answer is yes.

Look at it this way anipics - you got away with this for a long time. Now its time to start paying attention to little details like terms of service, and paying up for the resources you appear to need.

As for powweb - two thumbs up to them for taking on the challenge of explaining to users what "normal" usage means from an "unlimited" resource offering host. I'd still prefer people didn't use the term "unlimited" but I understand competitive marketing pressure.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”
      0 Not allowed!

44GB is not too much disk usage.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bentink View Post
    44GB is not too much disk usage.
    For $4/month ... yeah you keep on believing that bentink
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali View Post
    You were hoping to get away with 50gb worth of images on a $3/monthly shared hosting plan?
    You are selling service and I'm buying it! why are you selling at $3/month, why don't you sell it at 300$/month?

anyway, I am trying to find a solution and move my site.
      0 Not allowed!

Where did you get $3/month?

It's $30 setup fee + $23/3 months

The $3 price is only for 2 year prepay
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by anipics View Post
    You are selling service and I'm buying it! why are you selling at $3/month, why don't you sell it at 300$/month?

anyway, I am trying to find a solution and move my site.
    A VPS or a very small Dedicated Server is really your only option for a file hosting/sharing site especially one of that size.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    Where did you get $3/month?

It's $30 setup fee + $23/3 months

The $3 price is only for 2 year prepay
    exactly is 3.88$/month. But it's in promotion time. I paid 7.77$/month before that.

here: http://www.powweb.com/
      0 Not allowed!

I got the answer: "You need to keep the disk space under 25 GB."

That's UNLIMITED package of powweb!
      0 Not allowed!

The TOS prohibits uploading files that are not directly related to your site.

I checked out your site. I count appx 80,000 pictures in your gallery (both the parent and sub domains). The pictures are about 100kb each. That's 8Gb of pictures. I'll throw in a couple more Gb for other supporting files and say your site is 10Gb. What is the other 35Gb you have up there used for?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    The TOS prohibits uploading files that are not directly related to your site.

I checked out your site. I count appx 80,000 pictures in your gallery (both the parent and sub domains). The pictures are about 100kb each. That's 8Gb of pictures. I'll throw in a couple more Gb for other supporting files and say your site is 10Gb. What is the other 35Gb you have up there used for?
    You are counting thumbnail size! Please re-count with real size
      0 Not allowed!

I got the answer: "You need to keep the disk space under 25 GB." That's UNLIMITED package of powweb!
    Repeat after me: there is no such thing as UNLIMITED.
    There is no such thing as UNLIMITED.

Most hosts will expect "reasonable use" and may have a definition of that which isn't compatible with your usage. Your current provider's terms of use spell this out quite plainly.

Moaning about it here will not change anything, you either need to move, or delete files.

You may find you can set up shop at another budget host with "unlimited" bandwidth and disk, but chances are that sooner or later that host too will kick you off. Either your situation will change (growing files) or other factors (their overall client base also increasing storage requirements) but something will surely give and you'll be asked again to move or delete.

What is a fair price to rent out 45GB of RAID storage? (I'm assuming this being a shared host they have a certain amount of redundancy)? I'm going to quote Amazon S3 and Google App Engine, rough numbers, and 45GB of transfer since you've not discussed how much you actually use:

Monthly Storage and Bandwidth:
    45 @ 0.18/GB = $8.10
    Outgoing traffic: 45 @ .15 = 6.75
    Incoming traffic: 5 @ .10 = 0.50
    -------------------------------------
    $15.35

No doubt there will be some additional costs on top of that.
      0 Not allowed!

And to the OP: If you continue to dwell on "UNLIMITED" consider the following imaginary scenario that might look like you in a few years:

You are using one of their unlimited plans. You keep on filling up your file storage and one day you have 1 terabyte of files, all on the same unlimited package.

It turns out that the provider only had a terabyte of space to begin with. Now you are using it all. And want more. All for the same price you paid when you only had a few hundred megabytes of files.

What do you propose? That the provider continue to add more and more disc for you to support your growth, all at the same price you have been paying? Do you expect the provider to be throwing other less rabid users off the machine to accommodate *your* needs? Do you believe the provider should move to selling these services at a loss just to meet your needs at that price?

Just in case your answer is "YES, that is what I expect", there is a second part to this scenario:

Imagine now that *you* are not the user we've been discussing but that someone else is hogging system resources on a shared hosting service, and that you are now being impacted by that. How do you now feel?

0 Not allowed!

You are counting thumbnail size! Please re-count with real size
    Actually, the thumbnails are <10k. I just happened to choose galleries with your smaller samples. I do see a lot at 200k - 300k. That puts you up to the 20-25GB range, which is what Powway comes up with. There is still more than 20GB that appears to be a file archive and not site files.

[Note: The posters above don't know what they are talking about when they describe unlimited hosting]
    Last edited by Collabora; 06-26-2009 at 01:08 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

[Note: The posters above don't know what they are talking about when they describe unlimited hosting]
    You might want to be a tad more specific.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    You might want to be a tad more specific.
    Didn't want to detract from my post to OP. But a few posts above I was more specific: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...9&postcount=27
      0 Not allowed!

Didn't want to detract from my post to OP. But a few posts above I was more specific: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...9&postcount=27
    Ok, well that makes sense
      0 Not allowed!

ok, so, there is nothing is unlimited, so please DO NOT tell us that you are selling some thing unlimited!

in the TOS, unlimited means "normal usage". What's "normal usage"? Asked them, they said that "normal usage" is lower than 25GB, this was not mentioned in the TOS. Tomorrow, if my friend ask them, they can give him an answer that "normal usage" is 10MB. And if his storage is greater than this amount, his account will be suspended!

@Collabora: the size of images is not problem here, so I don't need to explain to you. Did you know that some images can be 10MB or more ? Do you know about resolution of image?

anyway, I am finding a VPS and will ask carefully about the terms in TOS.
      0 Not allowed!

ok, so, there is nothing is unlimited, so please DO NOT tell us that you are selling some thing unlimited!

in the TOS, unlimited means "normal usage". What's "normal usage"? Asked them, they said that "normal usage" is lower than 25GB, this was not mentioned in the TOS. Tomorrow, if my friend ask them, they can give him an answer that "normal usage" is 10MB. And if his storage is greater than this amount, his account will be suspended!

@Collabora: the size of images is not problem here, so I don't need to explain to you. Did you know that some images can be 10MB or more ? Do you know about resolution of image?

anyway, I am finding a VPS and will ask carefully about the terms in TOS.
    but you do understand you are using 400 times the resources an average person uses? the normal uisage is under 500mb for almost every client besides the 1% of you guys going over 2+gb
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast