Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WebHostingPad...what's the catch?

The VPS package at WebHostingPad seems to top all the others I've seen as far as what you get, and it's in the same price range as well. Here's the link to the information about the package:

webhostingpad.com/vps-package.html

They offer 300GB of storage and unlimited bandwidth. It says unmetered and I was unsure if that was the same thing so I emailed them and they confirmed that it is unlimited. All this for $50/month. Seems a little too good to be true.

I'm not really an expert at these things as I'm still in the process of putting up my first web page and I am trying to find the best solution. The website will be media rich with videos and images which is why I'm looking into VPS solutions. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

According the site:

Burstable RAM: 12 GB
    Guaranteed RAM: 512 MB (+)
    IP Addresses: 3
    Monthly Transfer: Unmetered
    Max Bandwidth: 3 Mbps (HUGE)

You have an unmetered 3Mbps connection which is good for around 1000GB/mo
    Database By Design, LLC
    Philadelphia, PA Datacenter (401 North Broad)
    Premium Dedicated Server Hosting, Complex Hosting Solutions and Public/Private Cloud.
    866.488.7770 | Contact Us | www.databasebydesignllc.com

Thanks for the quick reply. Can you go into a little more detail on how the 3Mbps translates to 1000gb/month transfer?

Also, when I compare what webhostingpad offers to vpsland (another one I was looking at), for roughly the same price webhostingpad gives you 6X the amount of storage but 1/4 of the RAM and 1/2 bandwidth (going by your calculation of 1000gb/month for webhostingpad).

For a media rich website, what is more important, storage or RAM/bandwidth?

I was just going off of what the site says, it would be best to double check with the host.
    If you were to use a full 1Mbps for an entire month you would transfer approximately 330GB (half-duplex). 3Mbps = ~990GB/mo, 10Mbps = ~ 3300GB/mo and so on.

If you're running a typical static media site, images for example, storage might suite you better.
    Database By Design, LLC
    Philadelphia, PA Datacenter (401 North Broad)
    Premium Dedicated Server Hosting, Complex Hosting Solutions and Public/Private Cloud.
    866.488.7770 | Contact Us | www.databasebydesignllc.com

The main focus of the website would be video, with images being a secondary source of media content. This is where my dilemma comes into play. Since video uses more bandwidth, I would want as much as possible. But since video also uses more storage, I would want as much of that as possible.

Do you know how uploading and then watching a video would translate in terms of bandwidth use? Say the video is 40mb. It's uploaded to the site and then watched once. Would that translate to exactly 80mb or is there something over an above that? Thanks again.

For what it's worth, you should ignore any mention of burstable ram. Burstable ram is oversold ram and not dedicated to your machine at all. The fact that they offer 12G of burstable ram means that they just set every VPSs burstable ram limits to *probably* the full amount of ram on the VZ node.

This means you're going to fight with every other VPS on that node for that burstable ram. Now when this happens, the hardware node can (likely very often) go into an OOM (out of memory) condition and will start killing processes right and left. Basically anything above your guaranteed memory is in risk of getting killed and those are likely apache and mysql first off.

That VPS plan screams "oversold and unstable" to me. However that's based simply on the plan as they present it, I do not have personal experience with their products.

Quote Originally Posted by SA-ChrisM View Post
    That VPS plan screams "oversold and unstable" to me.
    Thanks for your thoughts. It seemed like it was being oversold to me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveli20 View Post
    The main focus of the website would be video, with images being a secondary source of media content. This is where my dilemma comes into play. Since video uses more bandwidth, I would want as much as possible. But since video also uses more storage, I would want as much of that as possible.

Do you know how uploading and then watching a video would translate in terms of bandwidth use? Say the video is 40mb. It's uploaded to the site and then watched once. Would that translate to exactly 80mb or is there something over an above that? Thanks again.
    if you want to be doing alot of videos or music etc having a connection over 50mbps is great but 10mbps would be a good start. there 3mbps plan would not be big enough. fdcservers offers unmetered bandwidth and lots of it if your willing to manage a vps yourself
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

With unrealistic plans or too good to be true plans always check the host's TOS and AUP and make yourself familiar with the resource usage policy. 90% of the time there will be some sort of restriction.

From what I can see, this is a clone of eboundhost.

http://www.eboundhost.com/hosting/vps/

The the (HUGE) similarity?

I was a customer of eboundhost and let me tell ya, it was a good ride. The VPS I used had slowdowns on peak times, but other than that no downtimes in 6 months.

Frank.

3mbps would not be fast enough to host video. That is barely faster than a lot of the cable connections out there these days (in terms of upload speed).

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    3mbps would not be fast enough to host video. That is barely faster than a lot of the cable connections out there these days (in terms of upload speed).
    Have to agree there ... 3Mbps isn't 'up to speed'
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On-site Engineers

How do you tell the speed of a server if it doesn't have a Mbps number listed? I found another VPS hosting service at http://www.hostv.com/vps-hosting.shtml. They offer a 50% off first payment option so for their top VPS which has 1GB RAM, 100GB storage, and 4TB bandwidth, it would be $60/month. But it doesn't say how fast it is in Mbps.

How do you tell the speed of a server if it doesn't have a Mbps number listed? I found another VPS hosting service at http://www.hostv.com/vps-hosting.shtml. They offer a 50% off first payment option so for their top VPS which has 1GB RAM, 100GB storage, and 4TB bandwidth, it would be $60/month. But it doesn't say how fast it is in Mbps.
    I would assume your sharing a 100mbps connection. but it would be best to ask them. we arent the host so we cant tell you

Quote Originally Posted by darkeden View Post
    I would assume your sharing a 100mbps connection. but it would be best to ask them. we arent the host so we cant tell you
    Sorry, still relatively new at this.

What are the advantages of a dedicated server over a VPS? FDCservers.net has a special on this month for a $49/month dedicated server which has an Atom 330 (dual core), 2GB RAM, 200GB HDD, 10Mbps unmetered bandwidth. In comparison to the above VPS I listed from hostv, the dedicated has better specs and is a lower price per month.
    Last edited by mikeveli20; 06-25-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Sorry, still relatively new at this.

What are the advantages of a dedicated server over a VPS? FDCservers.net has a special on this month for a $49/month dedicated server which has an Atom 330 (dual core), 2GB RAM, 200GB HDD, 10Mbps unmetered bandwidth. In comparison to the above VPS I listed from hostv, the dedicated has better specs and is a lower price per month.
    I would get a vps from fdcservers instead. the main difference is that if a vps hardrive fails or somthing happens the datacenter is more reactive to fix it then a dedicated server. plus if the dedicated server is having issues while your asleep you cant fix it. a vps has people monitering it almost at all times

I would get a vps from fdcservers instead. the main difference is that if a vps hardrive fails or somthing happens the datacenter is more reactive to fix it then a dedicated server. plus if the dedicated server is having issues while your asleep you cant fix it. a vps has people monitering it almost at all times
    Do you know anything about their upcoming media streaming servers? Since my website is largely video driver, it sounds like something that I might benefit from. I would need a server that has FFMPEG installed on it and as far as I could tell, FDC's VPS didn't have that although I couldn't find a detailed list of what was included with the package.

Do you know anything about their upcoming media streaming servers? Since my website is largely video driver, it sounds like something that I might benefit from. I would need a server that has FFMPEG installed on it and as far as I could tell, FDC's VPS didn't have that although I couldn't find a detailed list of what was included with the package.
    you could contact fdc servers for more info and see if they could set up ffmpeg for you. honestly I have not really delt with that much media streaming myself but I just know I myself have slept better at night knowing the dedicated server my vps is on is being watched.

I just sent an email inquiry to FDCservers regarding their VPS and got a reply telling me that they do not monitor any of their servers.

I just sent an email inquiry to FDCservers regarding their VPS and got a reply telling me that they do not monitor any of their servers.
    I was told differently... I guess ill scratch them off my list when im thinking about getting a second server. I have one with them already and they have been great and they told me they monitor...

I was told differently... I guess ill scratch them off my list when im thinking about getting a second server. I have one with them already and they have been great and they told me they monitor...
    I wasn't too impressed with their responses. It sounded as if a 12 year old was replying to me. I found a post of theirs on the forum and it too said that all their servers are unmonitored.

I wasn't too impressed with their responses. It sounded as if a 12 year old was replying to me. I found a post of theirs on the forum and it too said that all their servers are unmonitored.
    guess I was lied to lol.

How is that a good deal at all?

$50 for a VPS with 512M RAM? That's a very overpriced offer.

You could find 512M RAM VPS for $10 - $15.

Alternatively, for $50 you could get a dedicated server with 2 - 4G RAM

Quote Originally Posted by continuation View Post

You're right, it's not a good deal. I'm still relatively new at this and when I posted that it was the best one I had found. But after being on these forums for not even 24 hours I've found way better deals and been pointed in the right direction by some members.

Quote Originally Posted by continuation View Post

are you sure?

You're right, it's not a good deal. I'm still relatively new at this and when I posted that it was the best one I had found. But after being on these forums for not even 24 hours I've found way better deals and been pointed in the right direction by some members.
    you can get a good cheap host but if you want to be able to use all your resources and not have an overselling host.. 40+ is the average. lets say the average server has 8gb ram and is 300 dollars a month as an example do you think they can make a profit selling at 10-15 a month without overselling?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast