Thread: Making logos?

Making logos?

Well I can finnaly make some decent website designs and have been able to sell them, But I cant seem to find out how to make a logo.

heres some examples http://www.garysimon.net/images/logo_tut/preview.gif

what tools would be best suited for this?
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Adobe products (PS, illustrator, etc.) are the norm for this kind of thing (in my experience.)

You do need artistry skill, maybe a tablet, and the software to interpret and work with. Most logos and designs come from the imagination, and you will need some of that technique to be able to visualize this stuff. It's good to draw it out (much like web design there are things you can explore much better on paper, before you start creating prototypes) before you make the transition to digital.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by Mookman288 View Post
    Adobe products (PS, illustrator, etc.) are the norm for this kind of thing (in my experience.)

You do need artistry skill, maybe a tablet, and the software to interpret and work with. Most logos and designs come from the imagination, and you will need some of that technique to be able to visualize this stuff. It's good to draw it out (much like web design there are things you can explore much better on paper, before you start creating prototypes) before you make the transition to digital.
    ok thanks. which would you choose mainly photoshop or illustrator? I know the pen tool on photoshop is very usefull but logos but i have never tried illustrator and I would be willing to buy it if it works well

Of all the tools photoshop has to offer I've never considered the pen tool to be among the best features.
    My software never has bugs... It just has random features.
    | Florida Website Design |

Quote Originally Posted by Pc-Hookup View Post
    Of all the tools photoshop has to offer I've never considered the pen tool to be among the best features.
    I can show you a few features of it and examples if you would like?

I prefer to use illustrator for logos.
    HostREA.com
    kirk[@]hostrea.com
    Shared / Reseller cPanel Web Hosting
    WHMCS Templates -Ready to go instant downloads.

They both have very strong points. Illustrator is widely seen as better for logo design. Photoshop is more for digital manipulation, effects and that sort of thing.

I don't do many logos, so I usually stick to photoshop.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Just bought illustrator ..... i have photoshop cs3 but im to lazy to upgrade it and I have an outdated dreamweaver. this is my first up to date adobe program lol.

Thank you everyone now lets see if im decent with it

Don't even consider Photoshop for logo work. It's a raster based program, thus limiting the scalability of the logo. Vector software only.
    Lead Designer @ SingleHop

what about pen and paper the old fashioned way? your find that most people physically draw there designs first then proberly scan them in then draw from that in a software package. normally illustrator or other vector software for logos. photoshop works with bitmaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Pc-Hookup View Post
    It takes some getting used to, but it's incredibly useful. It can be used to draw out a selection, create shapes and a host of other things. Worth learning, definitely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookman288 View Post
    Illustrator is widely seen as better for logo design.
    I used to do logos in Fireworks. Vector program, does a great job (Adobe bought it, and made some changes I don't care for). Moved to PS, but doesn't really do vectors. Illustrator is the king of vector design apps, and once you get past the rather daunting learning curve, you'll never go back. I'm still learning it (it's huge), but it's the first thing I open for this.

What I've recently found is while you're typically creating a logo for a web design and thinking "this looks good enough small"...the customer will later decide they want a tshirt, banner, billboard...and the small version won't scale.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    It takes some getting used to, but it's incredibly useful. It can be used to draw out a selection, create shapes and a host of other things. Worth learning, definitely.

I used to do logos in Fireworks. Vector program, does a great job (Adobe bought it, and made some changes I don't care for). Moved to PS, but doesn't really do vectors. Illustrator is the king of vector design apps, and once you get past the rather daunting learning curve, you'll never go back. I'm still learning it (it's huge), but it's the first thing I open for this.

What I've recently found is while you're typically creating a logo for a web design and thinking "this looks good enough small"...the customer will later decide they want a tshirt, banner, billboard...and the small version won't scale.
    Lol I know photoshop looks bad when you make everything larger ..... I found that out the hard way when I enlarged a black logo and it was spotty so I had to take a small round circle at almost maximum zoom fixing it for hours XD.

Im testing out illustrator now and its not bad. I made a thing that doesnt look like much but its a start. I actualy looks like a good tool to make some website designs in to but I wouldn't start that untill I learned how to use it fully.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeden View Post
    I can show you a few features of it and examples if you would like?
    I'd love to see some samples. I think maybe I might be missing something.

I'm not a logo designer but I do know you need vector diagrams for scalability.
    My software never has bugs... It just has random features.
    | Florida Website Design |

That tutorial image was the end result of this tutorial:
    http://www.garysimon.net/logotutorial/

Makes more sense to show that than the finished result.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

That tutorial image was the end result of this tutorial:
    http://www.garysimon.net/logotutorial/

Makes more sense to show that than the finished result.
    true,.... argh I was just about to upload my first logo but im running a test download first for somthing and im getting 100kbps or less for a 880mb file.... yesterday i tested it and it was 800kbps to 1mbps. once the download gets done in 2 hours hopefully I can upload it.

I prefer both

I use Adobe Illustrator, but I advise you to use the services of a designer, or buy ready

Quote Originally Posted by natiohost View Post
    I use Adobe Illustrator, but I advise you to use the services of a designer, or buy ready
    I dont need a logo I just wanted to know how to make them. I already make websites with themes

IMHO, try lynda.com

I believe they even have a logo design course in the Ai CS4 software learning section. good luck.

Logos are a tough thing to do. You can't please everyone and it's best that you chuck your own 'taste' and favorite 'colors' out of the window when designing them. With that said, yes, Illustrator is the #1 program to use. It's what I use all the time. Just like Photoshop, there are a million ways to do one thing in Illustrator. Also, anything can become a logo, it's just a matter of what the client wants
    Hi! My name is Christina Chun and I'm an Artist.

The secret to amazing logos is the magical PEN TOOL. I use photshop it is much harder to do logos in photoshop then Illustrator but they both get the job done.

I use Illustrator for logo design.

if you want to become a logo designer so i suggest you more focus on these software adobe photo shop or illustrator.. <<snipped>>
    Last edited by bear; 07-06-2009 at 07:27 AM.

Why don't you try AAA-Logo software? Its cheap and has pre-built icons (about 8000) and you can still customize them. Try the Trial first and then buy it.

for me try using banner maker pro software. Its very easy to use.

Sketch things, draw things out scan it into the computer and bring it to corel or adobe photoshop or fireworks change it and play with it... u can bring out a very fine and good logo!!
    cheers!

if you need help contact me!! I willl personally help u in this!

Thanks!

First, it's important to understand what a vector graphic is. Look for "Vector graphics" at wiki.

As mentioned, Illustrator is Adobe's app for that. Imho the logo is the hardest part on a design (although it's not only important for the website design). Here are some good resources about the topic:

logodesignerblog.com
    pixel2life.com (for general illustrator tutorials)

Do you consider use typo logo, many good company's use this for their corporate Imagen. Make a good logo is not easy. Big brands only use Typography logo!! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by egwh View Post
    Why don't you try AAA-Logo software? Its cheap and has pre-built icons (about 8000) and you can still customize them. Try the Trial first and then buy it.
    It's also nearly idiot proof, well I can use it pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by egwh View Post
    well software dont make a professional logo and the concept is so different when you going to make logo from aaa logo..

The best tool for creating a logo is Adobe Illustrator. You can download a trial, which lasts up to 30 days from their website http://www.adobe.com
    Bannaz™ | Amazing HTML5 Banner Ad Designer!
    Leading designers in online advertising
    Need banners? Visit our Website

Use photoshop, illustrator if you have to give more effects to the logo.
    If not familiar with illustrator, you can use Flash also to create high resolution vector logos and export it to different file formats for output.
    Thanks,

Making logo is not a big thing. Start from firework I will prefer that if you are a beginner start fireworks and thn jump finally to photoshop. I hope it will help!

Cheers!

99 Designs

try looking at 99designs, its rather cheap to have designers create your logo for you, I highly recommend giving them a look.

-andrew

Quote Originally Posted by bebouser View Post
    well software dont make a professional logo and the concept is so different when you going to make logo from aaa logo..
    Well I suggested it so any newbie can use it without much inconvenience. Using Adobe Softwares is not so easy, you need to have good knowledge of the same.
    Hosting Template Designs. Valid xHTML / CSS Designing.
    PHP & MySQL Application Coding.
    PM me for Pricing Details.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AxwaszFbDw

Egwh exactly, using adobe softwares are much much difficult and need a lot of time to get familiar with. It takes months to get along with it!

Thanks guys... I got illustrator found some guides and I sold a few logos.