What should I recieve?

I purchased a vps from a company and it was a unmanaged server. Before I say who it is or bash it, I might have just made a mistake. If it is unmanaged are you not supposed to recieve support in anyway, even on live chat and tickets?

Thanks
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

If it is an unmanaged VPS then your provider should be responsible only for main hardware node support and network support. Everything else should be managed by the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Slominski View Post
    If it is an unmanaged VPS then your provider should be responsible only for main hardware node support and network support. Everything else should be managed by the customer.
    That pretty much sums it up, however some unmanaged hosting providers do make few exceptions

Good luck
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheProxyHoster View Post
    If it is unmanaged are you not supposed to recieve support in anyway, even on live chat and tickets?
    Thanks
    From my understanding of non-managed servers, you only have access to the Sales and Billing queues. You can still report issues to technical support but if they believe it is out of scope of responsibility they'll certainly push back.

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

Actually, the best thing you could do is to contact the provider's sales team and get their definition of unmanaged vs managed.

Each provider's definition varies extremely widely in this industry.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

It doesn't have to be a mistake. The money you save on the unmanaged plan, you can invest in an administrator. This is particularly efficient if you only need your server setup once, and can do the security updates on your own.

I purchased a vps from a company and it was a unmanaged server. Before I say who it is or bash it, I might have just made a mistake. If it is unmanaged are you not supposed to recieve support in anyway, even on live chat and tickets?

Thanks
    █ Wafer VPS
    US North Carolina Based
    Self-Managed OpenVZ VPS Hosting
    Check out our offers!

I think the landscape has changed quite a bit due to hypervm (un)availability.

For experienced system administrators, it's still required for VPS provider to rebuild/reload/update RDNS for end user. All these cannot be done by user w/o hypervm

Quote Originally Posted by xkey View Post
    I think the landscape has changed quite a bit due to hypervm (un)availability.

For experienced system administrators, it's still required for VPS provider to rebuild/reload/update RDNS for end user. All these cannot be done by user w/o hypervm
    I agree that the inconvenience is there. But isn't it a little overstated? I mean, how often, through the lifetime of a VPS, does a client need to perform those tasks?
    █ Wafer VPS
    US North Carolina Based
    Self-Managed OpenVZ VPS Hosting
    Check out our offers!

I agree for a stable VPS installation, it won't happen too often. but in OP's case, it might be quite a bit for initial test run.

- Due to limitation of OS template
    Some OS template is done in a way that may waste quite some memory consumption
    - Due to limitation of VPS provider's configuration on VPS
    -- XEN (some xen VPS provider even does not offer own kernel to VPS instance, while others do)
    -- Access to # of CPU (overhead of housekeeping)
    -- Configuration of Xen Console
    - I signed up for a VPS primarily as a test bed for involving some network tweak, not for webhosting like many of others. While I could do some basic, not advanced tweak that I could with a dedicated server or even VMWare based guest OS, it could happen quite some time that I completely lost my connection.

and so on...

Quote Originally Posted by xkey View Post
    If you are speaking only of OpenVZ this much is true. Some other virtualization systems do not face such limitations. On one of my backup VPSs I can make and install kernels and run an OS I much prefer (FreeBSD).

I can see that OS reloads are very popular with two classes of users - experimenters (nothing wrong with this), and clueless newbie admins (the same sort who believe rebooting a *nix server is an appropriate remedy for all ills). Harsh commentary perhaps, but pretty accurate in my observation.

Maybe the original poster could give some examples of what the provider doesn't offer support for that he wished they did.

Generally speaking if you are buying an unmanaged virtual server the provider's responsibility extends quite simply to:

1) Keeping the node running
    2) Keep the network connectivity to the node working
    3) Load monitoring / tending to the farm
    4) They may or may not offer some backup, DNS and other complimentary services.

Obviously there are areas within the above that require provider intervention and support. But for the most part they will hand you a working VM and some IPs, and all the rest is up to you.

If your node is inaccessible due to a fault in their network or DC, or their IP block(s) have been blacklisted due to some other dude renting or exploiting VPS on one of their nodes, that is their issue.

But if your node is inaccessible due to something you messed up in your sshd configuration or firewall rules or you left a huge security hole open and someone has taken over your box, that is your issue. You shouldn't expect the provider to configure your applications or system services; you shouldn't expect the provider to deal with your server's email system and spam issues. You shouldn't expect your provider to configure Apache or PHP or server-hosted firewalls. If you get in too deep and have no recourse but to ask for technical assistance on a matter which should be within your administrative reach, then either your provider or a third party may need to be hired at additional cost to you.

Unmanaged VPS are a good product category for those who truly can manage a real server from stem to stern. Unfortunately due to price point shopping there seem to me far too many folks picking up unmanaged services when what they really need, due to lack of skills and knowledge, are completely managed VPS or shared hosting.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

You should double check with your provider to see what they consider managed or un-managed service. Majority of the providers define "un-managed" as they're only responsible for the hardware and network. Occasionally they'll do a OS rebuild or reboot, but that's about it.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | GigePipe - High Bandwidth Servers | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    Los Angeles, CA (US West) | Dallas, TX (US East) | Ashburn, VA (US East)

Good insight. I was hoping to see more posts like yours in this forum.

For xen VPS, I wonder how you can re-install new OS if provider even does not give you xen console? If it's vmware vps, that would be a completely different story. While I don't see many offering with reasonable price range.

Another reason to reload the VPS is to make provider support staff more comfortable about why support ticket is opened, as regardless, user will be asked "have you rebooted VPS, and does the issue still exist"

Quote Originally Posted by mwatkins View Post
    If you are speaking only of OpenVZ this much is true. Some other virtualization systems do not face such limitations. On one of my backup VPSs I can make and install kernels and run an OS I much prefer (FreeBSD).

I can see that OS reloads are very popular with two classes of users - experimenters (nothing wrong with this), and clueless newbie admins (the same sort who believe rebooting a *nix server is an appropriate remedy for all ills). Harsh commentary perhaps, but pretty accurate in my observation.

From provider's perspective, the unmanaged services can't turn to profitable if too many support tickets. And it may eventually drive price go up due to increased of support cost, or completely lack of response to most of normal questions due to overwhelming tickets.

From a service perspective, to control the support cost, provider got to give user access to bare necessity to be self-sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by mwatkins View Post
    Unmanaged VPS are a good product category for those who truly can manage a real server from stem to stern. Unfortunately due to price point shopping there seem to me far too many folks picking up unmanaged services when what they really need, due to lack of skills and knowledge, are completely managed VPS or shared hosting.

Thanks
    Unmanaged means it is only the host's job to make sure the main VPS node is up and to fix any problems if the node is down, and etc. Some hosts do make a few exceptions at some times, depending on the work load they have at that moment.

ok thank you everyone, I guess i should have looked into it but now i know
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

I'm very impressed about how you handled the situation. You made sure not to bring up the company name because you did want to advertise them in a negative manner. Very professional.

If the VPS (Virtual Private Server) is unmanaged they will / should cover all hardware issues. Do not feel discouraged by any means. This is a valuable lesson learned and I wish you all the best.