Talking Securing a hosting server?

Hi, I've been reading this forum for a while now and decided to join up. My first post hehe

I just got an Ensim P4 box from Rackshack and would like to use it for hosting, but I need to know what kind of security to implement.

I have experience hardening a server for a single user, but I don't know if I should apply the same techniques to the hosting server.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Dragid; 11-07-2002 at 12:37 PM.

If you go to the RS forums there are plenty of how-to's on bastille/ip-tables etc.. Just look in the how-to section. That will atleast get you started then I suggest searching the web and going to some of these.

first off, remove ensim =]

on a serious note, security and useability is a tradeoff. on a personal box you dont need to run a load of publically accessible daemons in unsecure configurations - on a hosting box you do. install some kernel security patches, put in some firewall rules, watch your logs, update often and hope that you dont get hit with the latest 0-day.

good luck,
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at]

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters