Hybrid View

Email Hosting Help

Hi guys i need help!

Im on a reseller and i have an important client who receives leads via email for her business. Each lead costs her £7.

Now my host's ip address has been black listed and email is not being sent to anybody especially to the large free mail providers such as hotmail, yahoo etc. Lately some of this problem was resolved.. except hotmail is still refusing emails coming from this server.

Emails were also being bounced out of other company email addresses because it has a poor MTA?

Anyway.. my host is trying its best to resolve the situation.. however i cannot wait that long. My client is loosing out £7 per lead which means email is vital for her.

Ive setup gmail for her and mail is being sent on behalf of the company address.. however shes persistent she wants things back to the way it was. Gmail are charging on an annual basis to manage company emails.

However i dont want to pay that. Im thinking of going with a new host for a month until the problems with my current host is fixed. What other options do i have? Will moving hosts be necessary, or can i just change the mail servers to another host?

Do let me know on what you think will work best getting email services back to normal.

Cheers
    Kayz

Arrow

I've been in a similar situation before myself.

There is another very easy solution that cPanel offers in such a case.

Simply put her account on a dedicated IP (you may need to purchase this from your host first). Then tell your host provider to go into his root WHM and click on "Exim Configuration Editor" under the "Service Configuration" section. He will need to check the "** Automatically send outgoing mail from the account's IP address instead of the main IP address" option under the "Domains and IPs" section.

This will then make your Hosts server send all emails for her account from her dedicated IP (non blacklisted) rather than the server main IP (which is blacklisted). This will then completely solve the problem.

Don't you just love cPanel - yep they even thought of a solution for this
    Deasoft.com Aussie & USA VPS, Reseller & Shared Hosting + WHMreseller & DAreseller
    AutoBillMe.com - The Non-PHP Automated Billing Solution for Web Hosts
    WHMreseller - The first Alpha/Master Reseller Plugin for cPanel
    DAreseller - The first Alpha/Master Reseller Plugin for DirectAdmin

That is assuming that other IPs allocated to the host haven't been listed as well. If you don't mind me asking, what host is this?

You could always let Google Apps handle your e-mail in which case you should get email delivery and reception.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    You could always let Google Apps handle your e-mail in which case you should get email delivery and reception.
    Just incase you missed what the OP posted:

"Ive setup gmail for her and mail is being sent on behalf of the company address.. however shes persistent she wants things back to the way it was. Gmail are charging on an annual basis to manage company emails."

It appears she's already using Gmail (Google Apps), which is something she'd prefer not to do. I'm also curious as to who the host is; having a server/IP blacklisted and not being able to resolve the problem promptly is a serious issue.

That is an issue which should be solved in help with your web hosting provider. That happen time by time with free services like homail or yahoo.

First of all i dont think it will be appropriate for me to mention my host as they have been great so far. I appreciate the work their doing at the moment, however ive been told that its a DC wide problem and its because the DC has been taken over by a new bunch of kids i think hence the problems.

Now this is a host/dc problem not my problem. If i request for a dedicated ip then surely my host should fork this out from their pocket and provide me it whilst they fix things right? I dont see why i should pay to resolve a situation that i didnt create.

Bottom line is, my client still owes me £200 and shes lost business which is worth more than £200. I think i will have to give up the money she owes me. However i will see what my host says about a dedicated ip otherwise i will have to move my client out for a few months.

If after a week or two my host still does not resolve the situation then i will have to leave them entirely with all my other clients.

If i move hosts, surely the dns propagation to the new host wont be a problem would it?

Cheers

Edit: Core blimey after a long day at work i now discover i cannot receive emails at all. Before i was receiving them, but now its becoming a total loss. (I think i will have to start looking for a new host for my client, after a week or two if things dosent change then i will move all my accounts.)
    Last edited by kayz; 06-25-2009 at 03:44 PM.
    Kayz

Quote Originally Posted by sgarbus View Post
    Just incase you missed what the OP posted:

"Ive setup gmail for her and mail is being sent on behalf of the company address.. however shes persistent she wants things back to the way it was. Gmail are charging on an annual basis to manage company emails."
    I saw what they said but I am pretty sure you can access GoogleApps via SMTP/IMAP and depending on how many email accounts you have you can get it free. I could be wrong as I don't use GoogleApps myself but just have worked with a few clients that did.

Quote Originally Posted by sgarbus View Post
    It appears she's already using Gmail (Google Apps), which is something she'd prefer not to do. I'm also curious as to who the host is; having a server/IP blacklisted and not being able to resolve the problem promptly is a serious issue.
    Aye, I would probably suggest jumping ship if they can't get it fixed fast and the email is as important as the OP says but I wanted to give another option other than jumping ship such as the free GoogleApps. They said gmail not GoogleApps and they are similar but not the same so I made the suggestion... who knows.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.

Can somebody provide me with the link to google apps please where it dosent ask you to pay a fee?

Also with google apps, does it not say email is sent on behalf of google?
    Kayz

http://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new

That is the sign-up page for the free edition - it's hidden quite well and I actually had to search for a link to the free edition but it is there.

Currently, Google Apps is better for you instead of temporarily changing host. Configure your domain on Apps and edit its DNS in your domain. Also delete all existing mail entries there.

http://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new

That is the sign-up page for the free edition - it's hidden quite well and I actually had to search for a link to the free edition but it is there.
    Excellent, this has been working sweet!

Thank you.
    Kayz

Quote Originally Posted by kayz View Post
    Excellent, this has been working sweet!

Thank you.
    No problem at all, glad I could help.

Simply put her account on a dedicated IP (you may need to purchase this from your host first). Then tell your host provider to go into his root WHM and click on "Exim Configuration Editor" under the "Service Configuration" section. He will need to check the "** Automatically send outgoing mail from the account's IP address instead of the main IP address" option under the "Domains and IPs" section.

Quote Originally Posted by David Anderson View Post
    Currently, Google Apps is better for you instead of temporarily changing host. Configure your domain on Apps and edit its DNS in your domain. Also delete all existing mail entries there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maicon Binatti View Post
    I don't suppose either of you have read the thread before making a response?

try a dedicated email option like a hosted exchange service. I have found better luck with these types of services because items do not get bounced and they tend to get blacklisted less than a hosting account. Many of them all you must do is update the domains mx record.