Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do you prefer Windows or Linux Hosting

Do you prefer Windows or Linux Hosting and list why you like windows or linux hosting.

Linux because that is what I have used since I ever started webhosting.

Linux. I have done windows never again.
    Woof Hosting - Shared Hosting
    Friendly Staff | 256-Bit SSL Encryption!

Most people prefer Linux.
    StableHost .:. Unlimited web hosting done right. Experience the unlimited difference.
    PingThat .:. Is your website down? Find out now with our QuickChecker technology.

Unless you need to run asp, mssql, coldfusion etc. there is no need to run windows.

Linux tends to be free, while for windows you pay for license fees (per processor for mssql etc.). So, a linux shared hosting account is usually cheaper than windows.
    Antonis Adamakos @ FuzzFree :: Fully Managed Web Hosting, Development, Online Marketing

I like most people choose Linux. Its bad enough I have windows on my computer, haha.
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

I prefer linux for websites definitely, but when it comes to game servers I have always preferred them to be ran on Windows.

The perception is that Linux is more secure than windows,

but I'm more interested in being able to provide what my clients want.

I prefer linux since I dont currently need ASP support.

I prefer linux for web hosting, stable fast and free.
    HostREA.com
    kirk[@]hostrea.com
    Shared / Reseller cPanel Web Hosting
    WHMCS Templates -Ready to go instant downloads.

Linux because I have no need for ASP, .NET, or just about anything else Microsoft offers at this time.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Linux, lightweight, stable and I don't need anything from Microsoft so I'm happy using it. Same for game servers (and my desktop), always preferred a Linux OS.

I'm a windows guru not a linux one so I prefer windows. but on the other hand linux is cheaper and you can fit more clients on it
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Both OS are pretty fine, it depends upon your project requirements.
    I recommend Windows in case you do not know what technique your developer will use, either ASP or PHP. Because it supports both of them.
    And as windows OS is also registered (licensed), so security is also not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by David Anderson View Post
    And as windows OS is also registered (licensed), so security is also not an issue.
    Whatever you're on, pass it. Just because it's licensed and registered does not make it any more or less secure.

The majority of the world consumer market runs Windows PCs (90% ish at last check). When was the last time you heard of Windows not having any viruses, trojans or other security risks? When was the last time it was recommended to not use Anti-Virus software on Windows (although on Linux, I haven't seen recommendations for either side)?

Assuming that most of those people using Windows are using registered, legal, copies, it doesn't seem to make them any more or less secure.

The choice between Windows or Linux isn't a preference but a choice determined by necessity. So if you need ASP, .NET, SQL Server and Access then you simply need Windows. But then again if you had both Windows and Linux accounts I guess you could prefer one over the other.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK™ ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

I've used Windows hosting in the past (with CrystalTech.com) when I was doing some ASP development but it's been a while. These days I find it's better to write things in PHP so I've preferred the less-expensive route of LAMP (Linux+Apache+MySQL+PHP)

Advantages of Linux server hosting
    1. Linux is an open source software product and thus it does not need the high licensing fees that other operating systems do; you can freely download and use it at no cost.

2. A Linux website can easily be converted to a Windows website without much hassle. Also, the website can easily be changed as the requirement of the user grows.

3. Linux web hosting is very economical as Linux is a free operating system. Usually, only the cost of distribution is borne by the host or owner.

4. When the scripting language like PHP, MySQL, or Perl etc. are required for your website then Linux server hosting is the most reliable and cost effective solution for you. Unless heavy load of scripting language, this will not be traceable.

5. There are many kinds of databases that run on Linux hosting, but the most widespread most likely among web host providers are mSQL, MySQL and PostgreSQL. These databases are relational by nature, and permit vastly optimized communication with your website for rapid reclamation of data.

6. By lots of circles Linux hosting is supposed to be much securing than Windows hosting, and for that reason only Linux server hosting is also the more popular choice for web designers and programmers.

Advantages of windows server hosting

1. .NET technologies like ASP dot net VB dot net are available on this platform. If you have a website built with Microsoft .NET technologies then you will have to choose a Windows server hosting plan.

2. If you need an enterprise class database there are some different features that run on a Linux platform but if you need Microsoft's MSSQL database, a Windows hosting plan will be your best choice.

3. Access Databases are only obtainable with a Windows server hosting plan. Access can only run on a Microsoft Windows platform and thus it is unavailable on a Linux hosting. If your site needs particularly this feature then you will have to accept windows server hosting.

4. If you are using some of the Microsoft's Sharepoint services a Windows Hosting plan is only reliable choice for you.

5. Windows plans typically much costly because of the license costs compulsory by Microsoft.

Normally, Linux server hosting plans are at least 20% economical than windows server hosting plans. If you need not to have any unique features for your website, like cart, searchable database etc, Linux server hosting is a finest alternative for your needs.

When you are required for specific Microsoft technologies, Windows hosting plans generally will be your favorable think. But for all small business owner needs Linux hosting plans will generally perform quite well for its cost effective features.
    miOOt Chat Solutions
    live chat Software for web hosting Customer Service
    Importance of Live Chat Software for Web Hosting Business

I myself prefer Linux, I've always used cpanel and have gotten very accustomed to it.

I can agree that the selection of OS is according to requirements . I love linux and that is my personal preference.

Linux, i have used windows few times but will never use it again. It's the best for hosting sites unless you need scripts that use Perl etc.

I prefer to use linux.
    With debian linux you get an easy to install and very stable distribution.

Another "not to forget" point is that windows server are more expensive because linux is free.

If you have two servers with exactly the same hardware,
    you will notice that the performance of linux servers is higher.
    The most noticable difference is the uptime.
    There are linux/unix servers that do their job since ten years or longer without reboots or hangups or security patches.
    Some PHP or CGI Scripts ... are not easy to run under windows,
    that means, you have to do special modifications or sometimes
    some features are not enabled.
    Its very difficult to setup a good running windows server system
    with at example wampp (apache/MySQL/PHP/CGI/ Package) as
    webserver, cygwin (Sometimes libraries are not for windows and
    so its possible to use unix/linux libraries). I would not recommend that because then your windows is like a unix/linux
    emulator and its easier/faster ... to use a real linux.
    For learning linux (little bit shell /vi ...) cygwin is not bad
    but its better to use Vmware Player and use a real linux in your
    Windows (only practicable for workstations) as a Virtual PC.

I hope i could help you and you are not more confused than before reading this ;-)

=================================================================
    MS Windows = Updates + Virus(Sometimes ;-) ) + Reboot + slow +
    slower + Reinstall (you have to, its only a question of (up)time)

LINUX = install + configure + let run + let run + let run ...
    => never change a running system
    (Thats important for linux because its possible to missconfigure
    a linux system if you change things too often.
    (With linux its good to understand the concept of "unstable",
    "stable" and "source code VS Binaries")
    =================================================================

I prefer Linux because I have no use for ASP.

in my opinion, the best operating system and Linux, to be very stable and secure economies of virus.

linux is probably the best for hosting websites.

Itīs possible to use ASP with LINUX too, also JSP/.NET/WebDAV ...

Iīve read it here and elsewhere that ASP is only usable with MS Windows servers.
    Too bring light into the dark , i mad a little "dependency
    list for script/interpreters" and so on for linux:

Java Servlet and JavaServer Pages (JSP): Apache Tomcat + Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or JDK or Java SE SDK

ASP / .NET (2.0): Mono-installer + MonoStack (bitrock dot com) + lib_mod_mono (exact name differs from distribution)

CGI / Perl: Perl + cpan (install/update perl modules) + apache library for perl/cgi (mod_perl)

WebDAV = Online harddrive(at example iCal or Sunbird and also Mac OS use WebDAV as default - simple "replace" for ftp):
    mod_dav and mod_auth (password protection) for apache

Real Streaming: Real Media Server + Real Producer (if generating streams at example from a webcam)

FLV Streaming (youtube ..): mod_flv or similar and not to forget a FLV webplayer like Flowplayer

I think it depends on what ur code is built for, ur programming language (ASP, ASP.net) will require windows and also if u have MSSQL or Access DBs..

if ur code is somthing that can work on linux, I advice u to go to linux, as i am windows server user since 6 years... and i see the defference of prices at least...
    linux > free
    windows > add 20 - 30$ per month

I'll use Windows on my desktop without a second thought. I only look for linux hosts however.
    WHT is now used as the Universal Hosting Helpdesk.

I prefer Linux because it seems to do a better job running sites and of course I started out with Linux and cPanel so it all fits together.
    #---.#---###### | Host Mist LLC - Helping People Say Hello World™
    #---.#---#--#--# || Shared, Reseller, Master Reseller, VPS, Dedicated
    ####---#--#--# }| Featuring multiple locations across the US & Germany.
    #---#---#--#--# #| Connecting the world through web hosting.

I would say if you are absolutely certain that your website requires Microsoft-specific applications, such as ASP, ASPnet, MS SQL or MS access then I recommend you for Windows server. If you do not need any of the Microsoft-specific applications mentioned above then I would recommend you to go for the linux server.
    Support Facility | 24/7 web hosting technical support services
    Technical support | Server management | Data migration

Technical Articles

I prefer Windows, just because it is what I am used to as an OS. I have more experience with Windows, and although I do know how to use Linux, my knowledge is very limited.

I once had a linux VPS, and I now have a Windows one... so I have experience with both. Linux uses less resources, I will agree... but theres nothing I notice between the two when it comes to the actual running of the website.

I prefer linux I find that the applications do not take as long to process when you have high usage and traffic. It is a lot less resource intensive.

I've used both in production environments and they both have their perks.

However, if I'm paying the bill I will always choose Linux because:

1) It's free!
    2) It works

I'm going to go ahead and jump on the bandwagon and say that unless there is a need for Windows, go with the penguin.

i had both linux and windows 2003 server in history. Both has ups and down.

Quote Originally Posted by samisadder View Post
    I think it depends on what ur code is built for, ur programming language (ASP, ASP.net) will require windows and also if u have MSSQL or Access DBs..

if ur code is somthing that can work on linux, I advice u to go to linux, as i am windows server user since 6 years... and i see the defference of prices at least...
    linux > free
    windows > add 20 - 30$ per month

Quote Originally Posted by NexDog View Post
    The choice between Windows or Linux isn't a preference but a choice determined by necessity. So if you need ASP, .NET, SQL Server and Access then you simply need Windows. But then again if you had both Windows and Linux accounts I guess you could prefer one over the other.

Quote Originally Posted by mioot View Post
    Advantages of Linux server hosting

Advantages of windows server hosting

1. .NET technologies like ASP dot net VB dot net are available on this platform. If you have a website built with Microsoft .NET technologies then you will have to choose a Windows server hosting plan.

3. Access Databases are only obtainable with a Windows server hosting plan. Access can only run on a Microsoft Windows platform and thus it is unavailable on a Linux hosting. If your site needs particularly this feature then you will have to accept windows server hosting.

Itīs not only possible to use ASP/.net/JavaServerPages under linux. (Look my post above)

You can also use access databases with apache + mdbtools (libmdb + libmdbodbc + libmdbsql) + odbc for apache (libodbc) + unixODBC

MSSQL is also possible, but i donīt remember the names of the libraries etc.

Onother possibility is to convert access to mysql (a.e. navicat).
    The same with MSSQL (i use a tool thatīs only avaiable in german language, but i know there are many other tools out there)

I remember there was a MSSQL Wrapperl for MySQL too.
    Last edited by wigrieb; 06-27-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Linux; because of the Unix philosophy (small, specialized tools combined to do more interesting things) and the fact I can talk to the machine at a much lower-level using the command line. Give me Debian any day.
    Jeff Standen, Chief of R&D, WebGroup Media LLC. - LinkedIn
    Cerb is a fast and flexible web-based platform for business collaboration and automation. http://www.cerbweb.com/

I like linux it is more stable

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast