* Reseller vs. VPS vs. Dedicated

Hello,

I'm trying to find a good hosting for my websites. Now I own two reseller accounts, but I'm not satisfied at all because of the DC's uptime and problems.

I need the following:

- 300 GB monthly traffic
    - 30 GB disk space
    - 100 hosted accounts (i currently host 87 websites)
    - European Datacenter
    - 99,99% uptime guaranteed
    - fast, reliable 24/7/365 technical support
    - excellent page load time
    - WHM/CPanel, if possible WHMCS too
    - Private nameservers
    - Linux server, PHP 5, mod_rewrite, XSLT, ...

What do you think, is a reseller account enough for me or do I need VPS or maybe a dedicated server?

Thanks for your opinions!
    Zsolt
    Last edited by CiZsolt; 06-24-2009 at 03:34 PM.

I'd say a VPS is your best bet. Its giving you more control for your customers, and for your required needs it seems efficient. If you are thinking about expanding, and believe you will gain more customers/websites I'd advise you to purchase a dedicated server.

If you are satisfied with a 30GB disk space, and 300GB monthly traffic I believe a VPS is just for you.

A reseller isn't enough to handle your needs.

Try getting a fully-managed VPS from liquidweb,futurehosting,wiredtree,knownhost

@Techie thanks for the explanation
    @Gary4gar - thanks, I'm chekcing them to see if they have European servers.

Oh! you need europe location. you should have mentioned in your original post. anyways, try EuroVPS. they utilize leaseweb's Datacenter and should meet your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary4gar View Post
    Oh! you need europe location. you should have mentioned in your original post. anyways, try EuroVPS. they utilize leaseweb's Datacenter and should meet your needs.
    It was mentioned "European datacenter". But no problem, thanks for the new Idea

Quote Originally Posted by _Techie_ View Post
    I'd say a VPS is your best bet. Its giving you more control for your customers, and for your required needs it seems efficient. If you are thinking about expanding, and believe you will gain more customers/websites I'd advise you to purchase a dedicated server.

If you are satisfied with a 30GB disk space, and 300GB monthly traffic I believe a VPS is just for you.

A reseller isn't enough to handle your needs.
    I agree with you!

EuroVPS' offer sounds really good, even guarantees, i'm looking for the CT 4800C fully managed VPS. Do you think, the 768 MB guaranteed RAM are enough for 100 websites? Most of them are online shops, sport portals, forums.

I think the vps is the best for you say itll cost $30 then $12 for cpanel then $15 for whmcs itll be like $50

Most importantly, what is your budget? From there you can decide whether or not you can get a reseller or vps account. If you are going for a dedicated server, check out leaseweb; they are located in the Netherlands.

Arrow

87 sites is not too many for a Reseller Account still. A Reseller Account would work out cheaper for you.

It also depends on how much work you want to do yourself and how much responsibility you want to take on yourself. Getting a VPS or Dedicated server will mean you are fully responsible to keep the server up and running. A Reseller account means you're just responsible for you client billing, setup etc and that's all.

On the flip side, do you want more control of your Web Hosting, that's another factor to consider. A VPS gives you fully control, a Reseller account gives you limited control.

Finally there is also the option of Master Reselling, which is in between Standard Reseller and VPS.
    Deasoft.com Australia & USA Hosting - cPanel, WHM, VPS
    Software - WHMreseller - WHMexec - KVZcloud
    Host Repo - The Linux Web Host Knowledge Repository
    hostsearch.com.au - Host Search Australia

As bgdea said, a reseller account (with no overselling) would work for your requirements. I would also look into a "VDS Reseller" option. With VDS Resellers, you get most of the features of a VPS with the power of a Dedicated Server. You wont have root access but the advantage is stability
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks

Quote Originally Posted by bjdea1 View Post
    It also depends on how much work you want to do yourself and how much responsibility you want to take on yourself. Getting a VPS or Dedicated server will mean you are fully responsible to keep the server up and running. A Reseller account means you're just responsible for you client billing, setup etc and that's all.
    Hi,

Fully-Managed VPS does not mean that they take care of my VPS? They make the necessary especially software changes, settings, even if for some of them I have to pay extra for it. If yes, it seems like a "Reseller" account, but with more possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by CiZsolt View Post
    Fully-Managed VPS does not mean that they take care of my VPS? They make the necessary especially software changes, settings
    "Fully managed" means whatever the provider says it means - and it varies a lot from one to another. Some important questions are:
    1. Is it proactive or reactive? (ie. do they automatically update your VPS control panel and applications as new versions come out, or do they wait for you to request it).
    2. Do they monitor all services and bring them up when they go down (fixing if needed)?
    3. Do they keep backups and restore accounts / files on request?

If they do all this it amounts to much the same sort of work as they'd need to do on a reseller server but unlike the reseller it's all for you, not a cost that's shared with other resellers. If you want true "full management", don't expect it to be cheap.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

The package I'm interested in on the EuroVPS website contains:

• Proactive CT Monitoring
    • HTTP Web Monitoring
    • SMTP Mail Monitoring
    • POP3/IMAP Mail Monitoring
    • Memory Monitoring & 'Resource Watcher' Service
    • Automatic Support Call opened 24/7/365 in case of server problem / immediate Engineer action

• Guaranteed Daily Backups - Included Free Yes
    • Backup Retention Period (Included with Daily IBM SAN Backups) 7 Days
    • HP StorageWorks DLT Tape Backup Retention Period 30 Days
    • IBM TotalStorage SAN DS3200 Data Backups Yes
    • Priority Backup Schedule taken in increments of 24 hours
    • Snapshot Full Image Backups (User Initiated) 3 Included
    • Snapshot Full Image Backup Disk Quota (User Initiated) 18GB
    • Redundant Offsite Backups Yes

Would this be enough, or do I have to ask for some more/other services too?

Interesting - EuroVPS have the most detailed "Fully Managed" services list I've seen. Great stuff!

As to whether it's enough - that's up to you. I see some "No"s in the column I think you were looking at - notably "Daily OS & Software version tracking and security patch management provided". Check out what you're missing (ask for details if in doubt) and decide if you can live without it.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

ciZslot, A Fully Managed VPS is more money then a Unmanaged VPS.

On a Fully Managed VPS I belive that they should watch over your VPS install scripts for free but you do pay for it but installation is free.
    They basicly watch over the VPS rebot it if needed Fix it and more.

Unmanaged VPS means you have a lot more work to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ToNeZ View Post
    ciZslot, A Fully Managed VPS is more money then a Unmanaged VPS.

On a Fully Managed VPS I belive that they should watch over your VPS install scripts for free but you do pay for it but installation is free.
    They basicly watch over the VPS rebot it if needed Fix it and more.

Unmanaged VPS means you have a lot more work to do.
    Yes, so I will choose a fully managed VPS. My budget is somewhere between 60-100 EUR / month.

OK, so I thought it can be useful for others if I come back with my first impressions after buying a VPS plan from EuroVPS.

I did choose a MANAGED Linux WHM/CPanel VPS, characteristics are OK.
    Support team is really OK, they ANSWER all my tickets in 10-15 minutes. My only problem is, that I'm not a server guru, so I don't know how to set up a server, configure DNS zones (I had to learn it these days, but...), monitor my server, restart services when it stops, etc..

If you write them a ticket, about your trouble, they will tell you what's wrong, but they are not solving it. If you are not experienced, you will have to ask again, how to solve the problem. The biggest problem: if your server goes down for some reasons, nobody will put it online again if you don't write tickets and ask them to solve the situation. So, if you plan to have your websites online, you have to sit 24/7/365 in front of your PC and check if the server is up. I don't know why, they don't care 100% about your server.

Today, I got a notification (from my website monitor service) that the sites are down, at 11 CET. I wrote them a ticket, to ask what happened, and why did the server not restarted automatically? They told me, the problem will be solved as soon as possible. Now, it's 13:40 CET, websites still down, I cannot access WHM/CPANEL, nothing. No other answer regarding my problem. And this happened till now each day!

I wrote 2 emails since yesterday, to ask about the managed part of this service and maybe a solution for me. No answer. I thought managed plans means I don't have to be a server engineer. I just want to focus on my business and clients (and I told them this before I paid..)

So, my advice, if you are not really experienced in server stuffs don't choose a VPS plan from EuroVPS, because you will have a lot of things to do.

Does anybody have an advice for my problem? How can I have a server, that fits my needs, it's online 99,9% and I just don't have to know that this exists?!

Best regards,
    A Disappointed Website Owner.

I prefer you to get an Alpha Reseller. It's better than having a VPS or Server.

Be careful with EuroVPS. If you need to use the "30 Day Money Back Guarantee" service they announce on its pages you won't have your money back.

We told them to refund money after one week of test and after one month, they still didn't give us back our money. Lots of tickets and fighting, but nothing yet. Amazing, an online company doing something like this ? never seen this before!

Check the reseller offers page. I would suggest that you go with reseller because if your new, a VPS can be hard to manage.
    VPSforMe.com - OpenVZ Virtualization with SolusVM Control Panel on High Quality Servers.
    VPSforMe.com - Inexpensive VPSs with great features.
    VPSforMe.com - 24/7 Ticket Support with FAST Replies
    VPSforMe.com - CEO Jackson H - [email protected]

If you have little bit of server management experience and somewhat familiar with the linux command then you should start with unmanaged VPS.
    Otherwise its always better to move ahead step by step by starting with reseller package. Then in future when its needed you should think of VPS.
    Support Facility | 24/7 web hosting technical support services
    Technical support | Server management | Data migration

Technical Articles

A reseller means you are out of lots of management and giving a reliability on your host. Until you need a dedicated environment you shouldn't really go for vps/dedicated. VPS provides you some sort of dedicated platform but it is still shared and virtualized which has no physical entity. If you have enough budget per month basis, you can definitely try dedicated with a management, but still I suppose for your requirements reseller would be enough.
    Mellowhost - Providing High Quality Web Hosting Services since 2007
    SSD Cpanel Shared, SSD OpenVZ & KVM VPS Hosting
    A Hosting Provider with Complete SSD VPS & Shared Hosting.

I think it will be better to start with the reseller if you are just starting. You can try to search a reseller suits to your requirements in the reseller offer section of this forums. I hope you will find someone best there.
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    KeserHosting.Com