Post Troubled (young) customer and need advice.

Hello,
    So I've taking over a ticket that our customer has submitted. He/ She purchased a lower-end server for gaming. Apparently he/ she thought we do all the setups and install control panles free of change, however it was purchased unmanaged without any purchase of a control panel.

After a few nice replies back and fourth, the customer admitted of being only 14 years of age, and angerly asked for a refund.

Now, being that we are reselling service from another provider, paid and setup the server, is it wrong to deny this refund? In our terms of service, we state that no refunds are given whatsoever, only credit if should there be any downtime under our SLA policy.

I've told him/ her that they can try to sell the server to another customer, or just cancel the server. Now one week later, no reply, the server hasn't been touched( at least it seems since no bandwidth is being used yet). Should we just cancel the server or assume the customer is using it?

We're in a tough situation, since almost the same thing happened about a month ago, we canceled the server and the customer was upset because of not giving notice that he/ she was canceling the server.

Advice would be great. I've talked to a few people, and for the most part, they told me to terminate the server at the end of the billing date and leave it at that.

If your TOS clearly says no refunds, no refunds is what you should do. They can't do anything; and if they do, you have proof to take them to collections or win the dispute.

No refunds means no refunds. You can hold this customer's parents liable if he trys anything funny like a chargeback.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

No refunds in this case, you've done nothing wrong.

However if they've paid for the month, you can't just cancel it now - you'll have to wait until next month. If they don't pay, follow your internal cancellation procedure.
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

In this case, I would say that you should not give a refund, as that is what your TOS says.

You should just keep the server until the next month. If the customer does not pay, you can by all means act on your cancellation policy.

Quote Originally Posted by DH - Tristan Perry View Post
    No refunds in this case, you've done nothing wrong.

However if they've paid for the month, you can't just cancel it now - you'll have to wait until next month. If they don't pay, follow your internal cancellation procedure.
    EXACTLY! good advice, i agree with you.
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

If it were me, I'd probably refund minus whatever costs you had in the situation so you don't lose money on the proposition and explain this to him. While you're within your legal rights to follow your contract, it doesn't sound like you feel all that good about it.

Thanks guys for the reply. I will take everyone's advice and just cancel the server if no payment is sent in by the due date. I guess it was somewhat pointless making this thread, but I just didn't want to anger the customer even more and cause more trouble.

Once again, thanks for the advice!

Tiffany

I wouldn't give the refund and just let the server be and when a month goes by shut it down.

At 14 the child cannot enter into a legal contract with you or anybody, tread very carefuly.

Was the purchase made through this childs card ?

Laws are in place to protect this child, seek legal advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    At 14 the child cannot enter into a legal contract with you or anybody, tread very carefuly.

Was the purchase made through this childs card ?

Laws are in place to protect this child, seek legal advise.
    I've spoken to our lawyer, and we discussed just about everything that was discussed here and have decided to let it be, and cancel the server if the server is not paid for on the due date.

He/ She paid via paypal. I know the right thing to do is report the person to paypal for being underage owning a paypal account, however I find that to be none of my (our) business. I could call the person's parents, however when I called earlier today, it sounded as if it was the 14 year old's cell phone.

Tiffany

Good to hear that you spoken to a lawer.

How ever I really dont think paypal will do anything to the kid.

I am 14 years old, I own a student paypal account (The same thing as a regular one except paypal can't withdrawl money from your account automatically if you don't have enough in your account when you purchase an Item. I know how the hosting buisness works. It's just that some and most 14 year olds are immature and don't know how to properly handle that matter in a buisness type manner.

Thats true. I don`t think they can touch your money.

Now that u have provided service, its not upto you to think if he is using the service or not. No refunds no matter what.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>