Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What company do you suggest for remote cpanel backups?

As the title states, I'm looking for a good place to store my CPanel backups of all my clients on 1 server, for now. I am interested to see what you all would suggest on who to use for that?

I checked out Mozy.com, and they have an "Unlimited" deal for $4.95, but, not only do I not know if they all cpanel backups, but the whole "Unlimited" thing scares me.

Depends how much space you need. What I did was grab a few cheap servers... like 512 memory since nothing special is gonna run on them. I just had like 750GB Hd's installed or more w/e ur needs are... Like two for a nice raid setup for failure.. then .. just set up cPanel to backup.. This way you can keep archives too

Make sure you go with a VPS or dedicated server, don't trust a shared hosting plan for your backups. Not to mention, a shady shared hosting company can just as easily take your backups and your customers right out from under you.
    -Joe @ Secure Dragon LLC.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

I have an idea, can we exchange for backup, I have also a cpanel dedicated server, I can create a ftp account in my server for your backup , you do the same for me.

You're that willing to provide your customer's data to a total stranger?
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

Quote Originally Posted by build-a-host View Post
    As the title states, I'm looking for a good place to store my CPanel backups of all my clients on 1 server, for now. I am interested to see what you all would suggest on who to use for that?

I checked out Mozy.com, and they have an "Unlimited" deal for $4.95, but, not only do I not know if they all cpanel backups, but the whole "Unlimited" thing scares me.
    Nothing beats local redundant raid hard drive setups, or even if you colocated/leased depending on your situation another server at the same location on the same VLAN (or subnet, again depending on your situation) where you can setup remote backups to that server. Then you have your other backup solutions such as www.r1soft.com whom I've personally setup for many companies and individuals with multiple servers, and I've heard nothing but raving reviews.

But again in the end, it all depends on your budget and your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by JWeb2 View Post
    Pretty silly idea, for the obvious reasons hehe.

just a ftp account, limited usage

Quote Originally Posted by JWeb2 View Post

Contact your DC first if they have any local solutions first. Either their own or if they can set something up.

Relying on a 3rd party has it's benefits too but it's good to start with an internal solution.
    StarkServers.com | Premium Quality Network and Servers
    StarkVPS | Automated and Complete Virtual Private Servers
    Locations | Los Angeles/Oregon (West Coast), Denver/Chicago (Central USA)

Most shared hosting providers won't let you use their web space in the provided plans for back-up storage and archiving purposes anyways.

You can't go wrong with r1soft CDP backup. cPanel backup + FTP or Rsync will overload the server if you have many accounts on the server.
    Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - VPS - Dedicated Servers - Cloud Hosting - Email Marketing
    BuyHTTP, LLC - R1Soft CDP backup and RVsitebuilder included with all shared/reseller plans
    Cloud Hosting Truly redundant high available cloud from a trusted name.

Quote Originally Posted by energetic View Post
    just a ftp account, limited usage
    You missed the point. Sharing your client data is a HUGE liability. If the person you're "backing up" with decides to "steal" (it's not really theft since you provided it to them) the data then YOU are liable for providing the data to that user and your clients can in turn list you in any legal actions they might take.

With tools like jets3t you can encrypt the backups before sending to Amazon S3:
    http://jets3t.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads.html

You could encrypt anything before sending anywhere, but I agree with the above that it's not a good idea to send your backups to a standard FTP account on another shared host.
    Jeff Standen, Software Architect, Cerb
    Cerb - web-based teamwork and workflow automation - https://cerb.ai/

Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

We have about 6 TBs with bqbackup.com and have been pretty happy with them for a couple of years.

While RAID is pretty much essential, you should always back up to a physical location outside of your primary provider.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I maintain backups with bqbackup.com too.

I seriously considered R1Soft, but it didn't happen because my VPSes use Virtuozzo. For an alternative view of R1Soft, please see this thread:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=867170

If you have multiple servers just backup one to the other ie:

server 1 > server 2
    serverv 2 > server 1

and so on...found it cheaper to just spend $25 on an extra drive per server than having a dedicated server(s) for it though a backup company such as others mentioned may be even cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by okihost View Post
    If you have multiple servers just backup one to the other ie:

server 1 > server 2
    serverv 2 > server 1

and so on...found it cheaper to just spend $25 on an extra drive per server than having a dedicated server(s) for it though a backup company such as others mentioned may be even cheaper.

So, what happens when the datacenter that houses all of your servers is inaccessible for an extended period of time and you want to get your data?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

We use rsyncpalace primarily for remote offsite an offnet backups, have done for 2 years or so. Also have monthly local backups on a couple of 1TB hard drives (not of all customers though, only those covered by SLA's etc)...

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Xcellweb Matt View Post
    We use rsyncpalace primarily for remote offsite an offnet backups, have done for 2 years or so. Also have monthly local backups on a couple of 1TB hard drives (not of all customers though, only those covered by SLA's etc)...

Sorry to dig up this old post, Matt - how do you find the speed from the UK to which ever of their DC's you use?

Why not just back it up to your home computer, or get a 5 buck vps? or Adrive.com gives 50G free, with FTP access, so do many other free storage companies.
    This is way to easy for such a long thread....
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

The upload speed from your home computer, should you need to restore a backup, would be horrible in the vast majority of cases. And I'm sorry, I just don't trust data to free storage anything. Any you REALLY need to be able to trust your backups.
    Last edited by keliix06; 07-21-2009 at 11:46 PM.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

Quote Originally Posted by keliix06 View Post
    The upload speed from your home computer, should you need to restore a backup, would be horrible in the vast majority of cases. And I'm sorry, I just don't trust data to free storage anything. Any you REALLY need to be able to trust your backups.
    In context, it's sure better than nothing.

Your other statement about backups is also very, very general. I do backups to my home network (but I also purchase more bandwidth and do some freebie serving from the network also). Your statement would depend highly on how much data is being backing up. If it's 1G or <, no problem. You can't really stand behind a statement like that unless you know A - the speed available and B - how much data OP is speaking of.

Also, Adrive is just fine, especially if you are using in conjunction with some other solution. Very stable service, and there are buy up options. It's not a totally "freebie" crap service.

Best option, though, is get another couple of servers somewhere else, and do backups to them. I suggest snapshots also. It's generally cheaper than purchasing a straight out backup service, which, usually have some stipulation that doesn't give you as many options as just backing up yourself.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

the service provider providing this should use at a minimum at VPS server but any professionally provided service will be on a dedi or multiple set of dedis or even a blade environment
    Barak Hosting
    http://barakhosting.com
    Shared, VPS & Dedicated Hosting - Lunatic Support is what sets us apart

We keep at least 4 backups of all of our shared clients data.
    1. Backup partition on the same server.
    2. Rsync.net.
    3. Dedicated backup server within our own network (Datacenter)
    4. Dedicated backup server within our own network (Office)

For number 1, we keep only the most recent backup.
    For number 2, we keep the last 7 days of backups.
    For numbers 3 and 4, we keep the last 30 days worth of data.

Encrypted Amazon S3 backups with Jungledisk works pretty well. I used to use BQBackup before I moved to Amazon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast