Thumbs up netcraft.com - top 50 ranked sites all run WINDOWS/IIS

Uptime at netcraft.com

Top 50 ranked sites *all* run WINDOWS/IIS

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

... but... but... but... Apples are so much more reliable, and have no viruses!

[/sarcasm]
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

The real question is what kind of load do these sites and servers experience? If a server sits idle (besides fighting off attacks), I'm sure it could run awhile too. This is the same as me telling you I had a windows 2000 machine with a 7000+ hour "uptime", but it wasnt used much, maybe for a few hours once a week.

Anyway... long live win2k

I'm sure microsoft.jp gets a fair amount of traffic

I would expect any Microsoft site to use IIS, doing otherwise would be a very dumb business move (anyone remember the CSS comments a while back that said IE sucked?).

The sites are top 50 ranked at what? I've never heard of any of those sites. Ever. (Well it doesn't surprise me that Microsoft has a .jp extension)

if your servers have a Live-Motion enabled cluster of VMWare or similar Virtual Machines the underlying 'uptime' might be skewed as it is purely uptime for that virtual instance, no real correllation to the physical world or infrastructure either - just a note :-)

Also, a critical piece of info left out

----------------
    Why do you not report uptimes for Linux 2.6 or FreeBSD 6 ?

We only report uptimes for systems where the operating system's timer runs at 100Hz or less. Because the TCP code only uses the low 32 bits of the timer, if the timer runs at say 1000Hz, the value wraps around every 49.7 days (whereas at 100Hz it wraps after 497 days). As there are large numbers of systems which have a higher uptime than this, it is not possible to report accurate uptimes for these systems.

The Linux kernel switched to a higher internal timer rate at kernel version 2.5.26. Linux 2.4 used a rate of 100Hz. Linux 2.6 used a timer at 1000Hz (some architectures were using 1000Hz before this), until the default was changed back to 250Hz in May 2006. (An explanation of the HZ setting in Linux.)

FreeBSD versions 4 and 5 used a 100Hz timer, but FreeBSD 6 has moved to a customisable timer with a default setting of 1000Hz.

So unfortunately this means that we cannot give reliable uptime figures for many Linux and FreeBSD servers.
    -------------------------
    Last edited by jNive; 06-24-2009 at 06:21 PM.
    Perigee Global Corporation
    Design, Development and Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated Servers, CDN, Hosted E-Mail, Web Hosting, VPS & Cloud Servers
    1.212.400-7632 www.perigeeglobal.com

hmm

That's a bit like reporting the top 50 best football strikers in the world....except you only reported those who kick with the right foot.

Maybe the post should be changed to the top 50 sites for systems where the operating system's timer runs at 100Hz or less.

Stats from the link below would interest me more than sites I've never heard of before so don't know how heavy they are hit...anyway from the Top 40 Hosting site in May....Windows servers manage 8 places, whereas Linux ones manage 20.

http://uptime.netcraft.com/perf/repo...rs?tn=may_2009

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 06-24-2009 at 07:48 PM.
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.

so in summary - the top 50 are all windows/iis because the top uptime tool does not track a huge percentage of Linux/BSD servers to start with :-)

I guess that is the only way microsoft will be at the top of such lists :-)
    Perigee Global Corporation
    Design, Development and Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated Servers, CDN, Hosted E-Mail, Web Hosting, VPS & Cloud Servers
    1.212.400-7632 www.perigeeglobal.com

rofl....that's about the hodge and podge of it.

owm
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by FS - Mike View Post
    I would expect any Microsoft site to use IIS, doing otherwise would be a very dumb business move
    Microsoft is hardly immune to dumb business moves... remember Bob? Besides, last I heard (granted it was a while ago), M$ wasn't exactly using an all-Windows approach to Web hosting:

According to Internet services company Netcraft, Microsoft changed the DNS of its Web site so that requests for pages are no longer handled by Microsoft's own network, but instead by the Akamai cache servers -- which consists of 15,000 Linux-based servers spread around the globe.
    So while their sites may use IIS, they're behind a firewall (so to speak) run on Linux. Anyone know if this has changed?
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Nah, Windows Servers now and then need reboot from the updates that are installed.
    I don't think you can get the most uptime from a win box.