* Is this possible (LOL)?

My friend here (won't mention any names, whatsoever) -- a member on WHT who owns a semi-medium business -- thinks this is a feasible idea to do. I find it completley bullsh*t, because it makes no sense.

I'm not going to say his age *hint*; but what he told me makes no sense.

His plan (well, he already executed it he claims) is to buy 100 servers from Dell, all high quality power nodes that are like the 'ub3r' best you can configure on Dell (like over 100GB DDR3 RAM etc.) -- they cost at least $35 large (35,000) to $100,000 per node. Let's say we use the middle value -- around 60,000 a month to calculate this idea.

So he says he buys in wholesale..wholesale is good, of course, but what he says makes no sense.

He claims to have gotten 100 servers, so at our median price of 60k, that's 6,000,000 owed to Dell. But here's the funny part; he claims to have gotten a promotion over the phone will Dell for a price of $200/month for 6 months and then slowly pay it off paying under $1k a month afterwords to pay off the $6,000,000 owed -- credit limit of 6 million <--.

Now, his plan is to sell these in a budget formation (under $1500 a month per node) and use $200 to pay off dell, and the rest for colo' charges (yeah, this is a whole rack full of monster nodes using a LOT of power -- must be a lot).

Now is it feasible to pay $200/month? NO. That doesn't even make the least bit of sense. With the 11-25% interest Dell charges, even with let's say 10%, that will take you over 2 lifetimes to pay. Even if he sells them all for $1k a piece, that's $100,000 a month and you owe Dell...6,000,000 + interest and decide to keep the $99,800 for colo charges and your own money...eh..the kid won't beleive me so I'm going to ask you guys to prove him wrong..god I hate wasting my time on this BS >> and he still claims he will show me them when they arrive in a week.

Until then...what can I say?

I take it this is one of the 15 year old hosting kiddies who is claiming all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I take it this is one of the 15 year old hosting kiddies who is claiming all of this.

Heh..and now he is reconsidering. !

I think you got trolled.
    BudgetVM - The Virtualization Experts
    Mike Gazzerro, Account Manager
    Chicago, Miami, Dallas, Los Angeles
    Wholly owned by Enzu Inc., an Inc500 Company.

Quote Originally Posted by zomgmike View Post
    I think you got trolled.
    Nah, I never paid for anything hahah.

A $6M loan at a great 6% rate over 30 YEARS would have monthly payments of $35,973. At 10% it balloons to $52,654/mo.
    Blesta - Professional Billing Software
    Innovation that benefits the user experience
    Trial - Demo | 866.478.7567 | Twitter @blesta

The $200 / month for 6 months could conceivably be a promotional price for the entire order, but the $1000/month price would be per server.

Even that seems low since it corresponds to a 5 year simple payback period for the quoted 60k server. The machine would be obsolete before it is paid off.

fava

The question I have to ask is, who would even pay to use a 100GB DDR3 Ram server? For 99% of applications not even anywhere close to 25% of that will be utilized...

The questions are what preexisting relation with dell he has as you said he runs a business, what credit he has, etc, the servers themselves are used as collateral, this type of financing is not impossible, but this is just a guess, which is to say some1 may get that, not every1.

Quote Originally Posted by ZacharyW View Post
    The question I have to ask is, who would even pay to use a 100GB DDR3 Ram server? For 99% of applications not even anywhere close to 25% of that will be utilized...
    looking at that question again from a slightly different angle...

is there even a server board that can take 100gb of ram? I thought the most was 64gb?

I dont even think hostgator would be able to afford this lol. I say if hes not telling lies tell him to go with it and watch what happens when your right
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

I seriously doubt this is true. Does he work? Does he have proof of income or assets he / she can list?

No average person can get a $6M Dollar loan without some kind of backup source of capital or assets.
    http://www.rskeens.com
    A casual blog mainly about the web hosting industry

Quote Originally Posted by Flumps View Post
    looking at that question again from a slightly different angle...

is there even a server board that can take 100gb of ram? I thought the most was 64gb?
    Actually

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813151179

He is reconsidering now! He found out what the term interest and promotional payment term meant.

That's BS ... but then why would you continue talking to somebody over BS?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Quote Originally Posted by Flumps View Post
    Dell R710 (2U) server can take 144 GB memory (18x 8 GB/module)
    HP DL160 G6 (1U) can also take 144 GB memory. Or 288 GB for 2U rack space.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)