hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : SolarVPS 16 Days Review

Forum Jump

SolarVPS 16 Days Review

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Web Hosting Master

SolarVPS 16 Days Review

I got the VenusUX VPS from solarvps 16 days ago.
They're support was great and Douglas helped me a lot with my questions.

I received a VPS with Win Server 2003 with 3 static IPs, 300GB Bandwidth, 20GB Space, 384MB RAM for $22.50 which was great.

I'm Running a Shoutcast server for my KPOP Radio Station (http://seoulbox.info:8888).

The server speed was okay and fast and I don't have problems with it.

Until Recently, I realized that I will be moving to a new provider since I got a great offer from Kickass VPS, I hit solar's cancellation form and sent it to them.

Yesterday, I was suprised to see that my RDP to the vps was refused and even the powerpanel was gone.

I still have 14days or 2 weeks left for what I have payed for but they removed my access to the server.

I cancelled the vps because, according to their TOS, You should cancel your vps 10 days before the due date so I cancelled mine 4 days in advance co'z I don't want to add an additional month for my vps.

I was a bit disappointed with their policy of removing your access right even if you still have around 2 weeks of paid days before its due date.

well, here's my rating to solarvps

1 being lowest 10 being highest

Server : 10/10
Support : 10/10
Uptime : 10/10
Speed : 9/10
Value for Money : 10/10
Cancellation Policy : 4/10

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

sleepybear,
I checked with the engineers on shift and had them do a quick search to see if you had opened any tickets with us in the past few days about not being able to access VZPP or RDP. Like I said it was a quick check but they said there are no recent tickets about this.

That being said, its possible that there was a billing mistake that caused VZPP to become disabled. The engineer I asked to check the ticket history also took a look at your VPS and noticed that you were using 384MB of RAM out of 384MB of total RAM. You couldn't establish a connection to remote desktop since your RAM was maxed out.

I asked the engineer to reboot your server and it should be back online at this time, VZPP included.

Thank you for your honest review and your positive comments. I just wanted to let you know we didn't shut you down. We don't shut off canceled servers until the expiration date of the server. The only exceptions to this are abuse issues or if a customer requests an earlier shut off date. Your Web Hosting Talk post sent me a Google alert, which was why I was able to handle your issue. If you had opened a ticket with our help desk about your server being down, we could have handled your issue a lot faster

Sorry to hear you are leaving but we wish you best of luck in the future.

Thanks!

Ross

Speed Test: speed.fortressitx.com

Old 06-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Web Hosting Master

Oh. Thanks Ross

I thought my account was shut down co'z I can't login in even to my server's Plesk Power Panel.

Anyway Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Community Guide

It's actually a Parallels Business Automation issue that when you submit an account for termination, it turns of VZPP/PPP access. I've let Ross know about this. When I get a chance, I'll dig through PBA to see if I can change that setting.

If I can't, I'll follow up with Parallels to see about making this a configurable option

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

Old 06-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Community Guide

UPDATE: I have just located that setting and turned it off. By default, it's set to disable access to the VZPP/PPP interface.

That practice will be no more, going forward.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Intangible Asset Appraiser

@sleepybear, FWIW, you may want re re-evaluate leaving. Seems you have a great responsive host here, which I personally prefer over saving a few bucks.

Just an outside observation.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Web Hosting Master

Yeap. I'm thinking twice about moving out from solar but I need to cut costs as much as possible. =D.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Web Hosting Master

Thanks for your honest review mate. And I appreciate the quick response and resolution from solarVPS. No wonder they are getting a review like this, for such an effective communication with their customers.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:21 AM
Web Hosting Master

I guess I need to edit my review

well, here's my rating to solarvps

1 being lowest 10 being highest

Server : 10/10
Support : 10/10
Uptime : 10/10
Speed : 9/10
Value for Money : 10/10
Cancellation Policy : 10/10

I just misinterpreted that they removed my access from the vps. I would really recommend SolarVPS: Thanks Ross and Douglas =D.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:46 AM
Web Hosting Master

If cost is a concern to you, perhaps you shouldn't give Value For Money 10/10?

Not that I disagree with you about your review of SolarVPS.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:10 AM
Web Hosting Master

I gave value for money a 10/10 co'z for $22.50, you'll get those awesome specs.

384 MB Ram
300 GB Bandwidth
35 GB HDD
3 IPs
Win Server 2003
Plus top-notch support.

this is really cheap for this kind of specs they are giving you. That's why I gave it 10/10.

About the costs,

2 weeks ago, I signed up for Solar because I want to start my radio station and I still use Linode as the host of my blog so that makes $50/month for my server costs. after a couple of days this Kloxo/Lxladmin scare came and I decided to move to cpanel and I had chosen Wiredtree as my new provider.

So now, If I still maintain my awesome VPS at solar, I'll pay $50 + $22.50 so I will be paying $77.50/month.

I am also planning to upgrade and get a Plesk panel so that will double my bill on solar for about $50.

So to sum things up, I need to pay $100/month just to pay for my server needs.

That's why, I cancelled my solarvps and abandoned my radio station project.

as for kickass vps' offer, I won't take it anymore due to the additional costs. =)

=D