Thread: Which cart?

Question Which cart?

Hello all,

I currently have a website hosted on HostGator and I would like to turn it into an e-commerce site. However, due to the uniqueness of our products, I have been unable to find the right cart for my needs.

I need the cart to have the following requirements:

Support for the customer to be able to upload pictures and have them previewed on a sample product.
    Support for dynamic text previews.
    Support for drop-down item selection for item choices (each choice would be associated with an image)

Not all items will be using all three features, some may used 10 different text boxes, some may use just a picture upload, or some may use 10 text boxes and 10 drop-down boxes.

Which ever the product requires, I need the information to be stored and retrieved for the item to be created.

Thank You for your help and time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrazyChicken View Post
    Support for the customer to be able to upload pictures and have them previewed on a sample product.
    Support for dynamic text previews.
    That is the most difficult part. As far as I understand, customers will upload image and text that will be automatically displayed on the product. Most likely these very features would require additional coding for most of shopping carts. However it is worth searching anyway. Let us know if you find the solution that has these features built-in.

I've look at numerous carts, and it seems that nothing exactly matches my needs. The more I think about it, the more I see that I will have to do my own cart. How difficult is it to build a shopping cart?

I've look at numerous carts, and it seems that nothing exactly matches my needs. The more I think about it, the more I see that I will have to do my own cart. How difficult is it to build a shopping cart?
    Creation of your own cart (including all primary e-commerce features like calculation of shipping and payment, etc) from scratch would be long and complicated task. It would be easier just to modify one of existing carts according to your needs: implement the functionality of product personalization only, all the rest features will be provided by the cart itself.

Also, how will you process payments in the store? Have you opened a merchant account already?
    X-Cart - PHP shopping cart used by tens thousands online merchants worldwide.
    Follow us on Facebook

Understandable, I'm just confused as to where to start, there are so many options to choose for a cart, I have to then figure out how to modify it so that it does what I need it to do.

I don't have a processor selected for the site yet, I was going to get to that once I finish selecting the cart and modifying it to suit my needs.

Understandable, I'm just confused as to where to start, there are so many options to choose for a cart, I have to then figure out how to modify it so that it does what I need it to do.
    Feel free to find description of shopping carts on these resources:
    http://www.hotscripts.com/
    http://shopping-cart-review.toptenreviews.com/

Also, create a list of other your requirements and send them out to the companies that develop shopping carts, they will advise you what features are supported by their carts, after that you will be able to make the final choice.

I hope you will find the solution you need.
    X-Cart - PHP shopping cart used by tens thousands online merchants worldwide.
    Follow us on Facebook