Back-up issue - important question

Hi all -

Last night I watched as my YaBB forum collapsed. First a thread with important contact info [think mailing list] was completely wiped.

About 15 minutes later I watched as the forum was wiped clean of entries.

About an hour later most of the entries appeared again. The boards are still inaccessible - I suspect I need to CHMOD the entire board files thing again.

But the mailing list info is gone, completely.

It was suggested by YaBB support that this looks like a server issue caused the collapse.

I've heard of hosts having back-ups, so figured I could retrieve a copy of my forum folder from before the collapse and reinstall with all info saved.

But the hosting company support sent the following response:

Our backup policy is for business (ours and customer) continuity (i.e. data mirroring) as opposed to time-delayed backups. The onus on time-delayed backups has always been with the customer.

I'm not sure what my position is. Should I have expected to be able to retrieve an older copy of the forum folder?

Read there tos, should be something in there.

the subject of backups always gets a debate going here

If your host advertises a backup solution you should inquire as what that is exactly, if you feel that you may have need of it in the future. What do they back up, how, and when.

Some hosts place the onus completely on the customer, while others back up to a local partition on the same hard drive, a seperate hard drive on the same machine, or to a different server entirely.

Some back up monthly, some weekly, and some daily.

It's one of those questions you should probably ask when you're host shopping to find one that suits your requirements closest.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

It seems that your hosting company does not do any additional backup, but relies on their RAID configuration (assuming they have RAID configured in your server). The single point of failure for RAID is that if the data is corrupted or deleted, than the data will lost.

RAID does not protect you against lost data, but it protects you against disk failure.

Our backup policy is for business (ours and customer) continuity (i.e. data mirroring) as opposed to time-delayed backups. The onus on time-delayed backups has always been with the customer.
    If this is strictly in place, then you might have just lost your data
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

1) Always backup manualy (at least once a month)
    2) Don't expect your host to make backups

Well, whaddya know - I can't find a TOS, TOU, AUP for Netweaver.

Just when I was thinking that maybe they were alright again.

So much for my forgiveness.

And naivety!

Wise words Darth - But not much use to him after the event
    Adam Heavens
    Server Centre Limited (www.servercentre.net)
    Exchange 2007 Hosting, Windows/Linux Hosting

I have a copy of all web content - excepting my forum - saved to my HD anyway - always needed for updating pages.

Was about to back up the forum for an upgrade as well. Darn bad timing.

Still, I'll try to use the experience positively.

did much the same with my desktop once. Was going to make a full backup of some important data (web development stuff), and pow.. Windows nuked itself two days before I had planned to get it done.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

I had something simialr happen to me on my Windows box. My harddrive started to desintegrate. I ran the old scandisk from MsDos with repair on it and it took all night. My computer was in my bedroom, so I had to sleep on the sofa! I got it back up and working and used Ghost to make a backup, then fix a new harddrive and get it back. A lot of work, but my system is still running on that same original, only upgraded from 95 to 98 and reinstalled 98 one more time on top of the existing windows. I know... some people think that's crazy, but I just changed motherboard and ram and cpu, and it's STILL going.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

I always advise customers [of all web hosting companies] to make their own backups.

Personally we make backups 5 times a week, and most hosting companies will do backups at bare minimum once a week.

Netweaver never claimed to do backups apparently so they are doing nothing wrong

Unfortunetly it's just a case of you'll learn from your mistakes.

This time round make backups!
    http://www.STX-Hosting.com
    .:: Professional Web-Hosting ::.
    .:: Top Dedicated Support !!! ::.
    .:: [email protected] ::.

Originally posted by Reptilian Feline
    I ran the old scandisk from MsDos with repair on it and it took all night. My computer was in my bedroom, so I had to sleep on the sofa!

Letting your computer have priority over your bed now eh?
    Now that's one hardcore computer user

Brian,

I hope to much damage wasn't done. You know for next time to always make backups, especially of databases. People seem to overlook these when doing backups for some reason when they are the most important thing on the site.

I hope to much damage wasn't done.

Luckily, no - as soon as I saw what was happening I was able to quickly FTP all member info to my HD. The forum is still crippled, but I have the most important info rescued. I think I can make good of the situation with a mini-relaunch - once I transfer hosts.

And I now know the importance of forum back-ups! [Heh - does WHT get backed up? Lordy, I wouldn't envy that task! ]