Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WHMCS Licence checker

http://www.whmcs.com/members/verifydomain.php

Now people can check to see if a host has a valid whmcs license before buying form the host.

I bet alot of people been asking whmcs for this and they put it into there site.

And best of all, it works:

This domain is authorized to be using WHMCS.
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Sweet, I remember that being requested on their Forums a few months ago
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks

Great to see this up and running; a good feature
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

I wonder who is going to publically point out the first illegal one here
    Keith I Myers

Quote Originally Posted by KDisk View Post
    I wonder who is going to publically point out the first illegal one here

Me! Me! Me! Pick me!

See attached.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails whmcs.JPG  
    FazeWire Web Services.
    || We have provided great prices and better support since 2006. Located in Seattle, WA!
    || -----------------
    || Shared Hosting - VPS - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Software Licenses

Quote Originally Posted by FazeWire View Post
    Me! Me! Me! Pick me!

See attached.

LOL - I dont think that counts
    Keith I Myers

Aww man...

FazeWire Web Services.
    || We have provided great prices and better support since 2006. Located in Seattle, WA!
    || -----------------
    || Shared Hosting - VPS - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Software Licenses

Quote Originally Posted by FazeWire View Post
    Me! Me! Me! Pick me!

See attached.

Google.com isn't authorised either.
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

As well as youtube.com

Its a good addition to the WHMCS website. Should catch out a lot of nulled WHMCS installations.

I wonder if this thread should be a sticky?

Quote Originally Posted by HDNP-EricI View Post
    I wonder if this thread should be a sticky?
    I don't see why.
    WHMCS is a third party product, and catching people that pirate it is not something imperative or important for WHT users to have access to (as evidenced by the verifications of Google and Youtube).
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I don't see why.
    WHMCS is a third party product, and catching people that pirate it is not something imperative or important for WHT users to have access to (as evidenced by the verifications of Google and Youtube).
    Yes you are right but this could be helpful when researching before buying from a host.

Indeed this could be a good way to weed out some of the 'cow boy' hosts out there. With that said it could only be the worst that utilise nulled software, for the sake of $13 odd scammers have a 1 month WHMCS license to scam people with... It's a pretty harsh way to look at it, but true none the less. Also, you have to wonder how long it would be until the folks nulling these software circumvent this measure... Until then, please catch as many people as possible with this.

Quote Originally Posted by hertzwebsolutions View Post
    Also, you have to wonder how long it would be until the folks nulling these software circumvent this measure...
    There isn't anything to circumvent - the details I assume are based on the licenses on the WHMCS servers and which domains it knows are valid.

Unless someone hacks the WHMCS customer area, and assuming Matt's coded it to properly check for expired licenses etc..., then there shouldn't be anyway to "trick" it.
    Alasdair

Quote Originally Posted by tickedon View Post
    There isn't anything to circumvent - the details I assume are based on the licenses on the WHMCS servers and which domains it knows are valid.

Unless someone hacks the WHMCS customer area, and assuming Matt's coded it to properly check for expired licenses etc..., then there shouldn't be anyway to "trick" it.
    Precisely.
    Victor Lugo
    Systems Administrator

Already caught two GSP's and reported them

Quote Originally Posted by eG-Dan View Post
    Already caught two GSP's and reported them
    And what are they ? !

I caught one too and reported.

@John Mark - Is it wise to publish a "Wall of Shame" in here for those using nulled WHMCS installs? I am not even sure it is allowed by the rules.
    Keith I Myers

I think you have to be very careful with disclosing this, sometimes things are not as they appear and it would be bad for everyone if someone is false accused.

You report the license to WHMCS and only they will be able to verify its indeed illegal or some mistake was made and they will take the appropriate action.

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    I think you have to be very careful with disclosing this, sometimes things are not as they appear and it would be bad for everyone if someone is false accused.

You report the license to WHMCS and only they will be able to verify its indeed illegal or some mistake was made and they will take the appropriate action.
    Wisely put. Just to be somewhat of a smart@$$ I went to the "Hosting Offers" section of DP and this forum and see a 50/50 split of legal and nulled copies.
    Keith I Myers

Is it wise to publish a "Wall of Shame" in here for those using nulled WHMCS installs?
    Let's not.
    Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    it would be bad for everyone if someone is false accused.
    Mainly that reason. If someone posts it incorrectly you could damage their business as a result, and they might hold you and ultimately WHT to blame.

i personally think that it would be helpful as a sticky to those who are new to the forum to have a way to check a hosts legit software and for those are scammers trying to be real host.
    Hostcrate.com - Shoutcast Streams & Web Hosting
    █ Custom Streams Available - Contact me - We're in Second Life Too!
    Real Quality - Real Support - Real Affordable since 2008!

Just because you pay the paltry sum of 15-20$ per month doesn't make anyone a real host. Heck, even business registrations and licenses can still be obtained by scammers.

In any case, I see why WHMCS has the tool available, but I wouldn't agree with a list of companies using it. Domains, different portal addresses and so on can all affect the result.

Quote Originally Posted by hostcrate_com View Post
    i personally think that it would be helpful as a sticky to those who are new to the forum to have a way to check a hosts legit software and for those are scammers trying to be real host.
    A good example of why this can be misunderstood and harmful would be checking the site in your signature: "thedudleyshop.net".
    It said this:
    This domain is not authorized to be using WHMCS.
    Please report the url to the installation to us here
    Hopefully, that's wrong.

A good example of why this can be misunderstood and harmful would be checking the site in your signature: "thedudleyshop.net".
    It said this:

Hopefully, that's wrong.
    bear oh check ours check ours

It said this:

Hopefully, that's wrong.
    yes as my license expired and if you run it again it will be correct as i renewed that day.
    Hostcrate.com - Shoutcast Streams & Web Hosting
    █ Custom Streams Available - Contact me - We're in Second Life Too!
    Real Quality - Real Support - Real Affordable since 2008!

If you would just check the sites in a signature it could go very wrong; we use WHMCS on a separate domain from our main domain. So our main domain would always give an unauthorized message

I caught one too and reported.

@John Mark - Is it wise to publish a "Wall of Shame" in here for those using nulled WHMCS installs? I am not even sure it is allowed by the rules.
    just a stupid queastion .- would it be our duty to do the job of finding those sites? I dont see why i should report someone were there is a chance of a false report that would let me look stupid.
    In no way i support nulled or hacked or wahtever illegal licences - but i dont thing its my business to take care of them unless im paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by xpservices View Post
    just a stupid queastion .- would it be our duty to do the job of finding those sites? I dont see why i should report someone were there is a chance of a false report that would let me look stupid.
    In no way i support nulled or hacked or wahtever illegal licences - but i dont thing its my business to take care of them unless im paid for it.
    I think the idea behind this would be to eliminate those hosts which offer very cheap hosting services but do not pay for the licenses, thus can operate cheaper.

personally i don't think it would make any difference at all

To clairify, I made the "Hall of Shame" comment as a Joke.

I do not think it is our job to find hosts using nulled scripts, but if we by chance do come accross one, then we should report it. Nothing will happen to a Host who is using a legit version of WHMCS. When you report a host, WHMCS will actually double check in their database to verify the claim.

As someone on this thread pointed out, someone checked their site on the day their license expired. This was just a simple example on why these should not be publically reported, but there is no harm in reporting it to WHMCS.

I do wish that WHMCS would give a bounty, but I really dont think that thats going to happen.
    Keith I Myers

Well this can show the 'Real' Webhoster, whether they can trusted or they are just scammers using Nulled WHMCS.

Anyways, a nice step taken by WHMCS so that they & users can track down Nulled users.

I was wondering if they were going to do something like this a while back. This should help them a lot and crack down on nulled users.

all they got to do is to do a search on twitter to get to some of the sources. Seen several offers of nulled versions there, by just following message containing whmcs. in the end i do not understand why anyone would want to run such a version for his most important part of their business, what if someone has build in a backdoor and they can steal your customers information.

Its not only the host as risk by using the nulled version; but also all their customers.

one that uses a nulled script might be a thief but must not be a scammer

anyways, i see the idea behind it yet still dont see the benefit for me if i report one. he might doing false but reporting him wont stop his business at all i guess.

Why do we suddenly care who is paying for their software and who isn't? Focus on your own company...

Quote Originally Posted by Mekhu View Post
    Why do we suddenly care who is paying for their software and who isn't? Focus on your own company...
    1.) It isn't fair for the developers who are getting ripped off
    2.) It isn't fair to the people who actually pay for it (Not that it's alot anyways)

Tiffany

hi,

after 2 minutes of thinking.....

whmcs allows for multiple server provisioning which can have multiple domain names tied to a single ip and multiple hosting websites on the same or differnt ips, that all look different with dns redirections and URL SPOOFING that all funnel revenue into one or many financial resources. that is not even mentioning the capabilities of curl.

i think that this is not even close to a viable solution to judging the validity of a host based on the fact that what whmcs's tool reports is valid. not only is not viable...THERE WILL NEVER BE A VIABLE SOLUTION WITH CONCLUSIVE PROOF.

again....as mentioned in the thread above this post. if you are a random lamer stumbling on a site....who the hell is going to know the difference based on what i am saying.....half of them can't even follow it this far.....and if the server is in a country that doesn't give a crap about the hosting coumminity, warez, nulled or anything else,...then what can possibly be done about it. life moves on. people will find the site and pay for it. there are ways to not have your server shut down so what are you going to about it.

is whmcs going to start hundreds or tens of thousands of international lawsuit escapades over 300 or 300k in lost revenue. i F-ing think not. the numbers are too small or too big to fathom.

you would need 50x more people working full time to sucessfully persue and stop it. it would cost them 10 times that much to even do such a thing and there is a high chance they would lose a lot of their cases.

you could not even guarentee that the person you are attempting to internationally hold responsible is legitamate and is actually alive(yes dead people get their identity stolen too).

consider this: hacked paypal accounts buying up a server under a false credit card name(maybe they are dead) and account in which access is tunnelled in and out of a 2 or 3 server trail via a proxy on the other end. screw it. toss in a prepaid smart phone also where the guy can sit a bus station and do his thing(google it).

it is absolutely reeeeEEE-diculous to under estimate the sheer will power and desperation of 3rd world scammers, hungy and damn near homeless people alike and anyone else doing this sort of $hit. i have 9 years of college education and i fathom how these people do it. i am buying a paper shredder this weekend. because i see the everyone, understand human nature, love everyone and trust no one.

its a cat and mouse game that has been going on for over 40 YEARS. i believe microsoft took it to foot by penetrating apple with social engineering years and years ago.

the people writing code get it dissected by people that don't want to pay for it or need/want to modify it. it is a game that has never been won and NEVER will be won by software developers. this is why there is no viable solution to stop it. even the biggest multi-BILLION dollar companies are not suing for stealing software licenses. the closest thing was digital satellite that scared a general populous into forking a minimal amount of dollars into lawyers hand for threatening to take a US persons life savings for buying a piece of hardware that steals can possibly be used to reprogram a dish network box. anyone with a brain would know that suit would water like a colander does.

all it takes is some 15 year old kid with a decent brain, decent education and decent background in computing to a$$ rape the best thing a developer had going for him right down the toilet.

when someone's a$$ is on the line they will do anything they can to feed themselves and stay alive. please for now forget all about countries that practically teach scamming, con artistry and hacking in middle school like nigeria, indonesia and the middle east. that is not the topic of this discussion.

the only thing that this whole system that whmcs has put in place will result in is the general populus is ....MAYBE....deciding to pick....the "safest" LOOKING host, which given the technology that is out there is probably NOT the BEST hosting provider if they are running the account on a SINGLE DOMAIN. there is also the chance that they will lose business for closing accounts that should not be closed resulting in slowed sales and revenue growth.

what is whmcs going to do...DMA it? even trying to report something like this in the US would be a huge hassle to the person reporting it. you would have to be unemployed with no television, friends and hobbies to go through the whole process from start to finish.

some of you are passionate. i consider myself one of these people. i have lost friends, and girl friends over my desire to be apart of the hosting community/master reseller community and my sick...sick addiction to coding absolutely needless $hit. even i don't have the desire or will power to follow through and hunt these people down. it would take a lifes conviction. they would have to hire me.

is whmcs going to fight and expend the volumes of non licensed research while footing the financial funds and responsibility it would take to hunt these people down. everyone has talked to matt. yes we all know him by his name. how in the HELL... is.....HE.... being a single person, going to do that.

it would take sheer will power, persistance and dedication on the part of the accuser to get even two steps into the process. have any of you posting to this thread done a DMA before?

no one gives a crap about anyone or anything other than feeding their own a$$ in this economy.

it really is just that simple.....its real. its live. its life.

good luck with your reporting and efforts. i hope whmcs wins but jesus F...why is this thread as long as it is now only 3 pages deep. the internet is rather large currently....google is running out of space. people..... please think before you post.

pwning everyone and everything that thinks they know something,
    kevin
    <<Please see rules for signature setup.>>

Damn man, you said a lot without saying much at all really. I hope you're not trying to represent a company on here, with all that language... I'm no angel myself, but I try my best to curb it when I'm on here and I'd highly recommend you do the same.

I think you were implying that someone could show up as un-licensed because they were redirecting several domains to one WHMCS installation - that's against the WHMCS license - you're elligible for one domain and that's it... everything else should be a http redirect so it all comes up correctly. You'd have to crack WHMCS to get it to operate on a secondary domain anyway, so you might as well steal it and be done with it.

FWIW, I have sent a DMCA takedown request before, successfully I might add, and I know all about software piracy, and I have no idea why you went on the huge diatribe about it. Tools like the license checker are designed to help people differentiate between companies that pay for their software and "companies" that don't - I don't personally feel the need to go outing people who don't pay for their software, but there are so many shady "companies" in this industry that I can't help but feel it's a good thing.

I don't know what you're trying to say... yes software piracy has been around a long time, yes it's most likely here to stay. Doesn't mean that the self-appointed sheriffs of this industry can't use one more tool to help them out shady "companies" to help thin the herd a little bit, and it certainly doesn't mean that WHMCS's team can't benefit from the piracy reporting that goes along with it.

I highly doubt Matt's going to take the time to put pressure on offshore people using his software illegally - it's just not worth the effort on his part. However he certainly can submit DMCA requests to hosts operating in "copyright friendly" countries and shut down anyone who's not off-shore. Once you have the form-letter set up and ready to have some names filled in, it's but 10 minutes work.

The offshore ones? The industry sheriffs can deal with those, by slamming them all over forums like this. Educated buyers won't go with someone running pirate software, and uneducated buyers well... we all know where they end up.
    I used to run the oldest commercial Mumble host.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast