[advertising] Overture or somebody else??

I'm looking at using a good slice of my advertising budget next year on overture.com - I noticed they were given credit for improving Yahoo's advertising revenue.

Are they worth going with for advertising or would you use another company??

What keywords are you targeting?
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Not quite sure yet... but I'm targeting the UK webhosting market mainly.
    dBforums.com - Database design, development and administration.

google adwords is allways worth a go.
    I have heard overture are pretty good.

I have used overture (formerly goto) for another business and it was VERY good at driving traffic to my site. And for the industry the business was in it was cheap advertising. Since I used it rates (i.e. bids) have really went up. But if you want traffic to your site I believe it is one of the best methods.

However, (there is always a however) it ONLY drives traffic to your site. And the traffic that arrives may or may not be in a "purchasing" mode. It may be lookie loos, compeititors, etc. But each of these clicks costs money. Also you have to have a site that captures the person who wants to purchase. You should also watch out for the unscrupulous people who are using competiting bids because sometimes it is a practice to send a lot of people out to click on your ad with no intention of buying anything from your site. They do this so when you examine your advertising you see 1000 clicks but no sales. At $7-$10 for "web hosting" right now it could suck up your budget.
    Richard
    Multiple Domain Hosting | See our Ad in PC Magazine
    Windows Reseller Hosting @ www.e3servers.com

Yeah I'm under no illusions there - I have to turn that traffic into sales... and I have to make sure I turn enough of the traffic into sales to make the initial investment worth while.

Word of mouth has done well so far... but I'd like give it a helping hand if I can.

I don't run a hostnig company, but I wouldn't expect you'll do that great on overture. I'm not judging their traffic quality, but the fact is, there are too many web hosting cmpanies out there to expect someone to come to your site, and buy that right then. If your site interest them, they are going to look around for other hosts, and may come back.

Consider buying into some directories (not because I own one). I've heard hostsearch.com gets good results. Look on google and other SE's for search terms you think your customers will search for. If there are 2-3 hosting directories, or sites you can be listed on that are in the top 10 results for those terms, pay to be listed on those. You can't expect to do great on anything if you're just going to do it for a month. The marketing successful hosting companies realize that in order to test the results they have to be listed for atleast 2-3 months.

Zak

Today's bid on Overture for web hosting is $8.02 by ValueWeb. I recommend that you track and test your ROIs with Overture before sinking in the big bucks.

$8.02 for a click is alot of money and you want to be sure you'll achieve a POSITIVE ROI

See http://uv.bidtool.overture.com/d/search/tools/bidtool/ for other bids.
    Web Hosting Stuff - Over 10,000+ Hosting Companies Listed
    http://www.webhostingstuff.com

Thanks for the info everyone