Hosted solutions - reasons to choose

What i mean is hosted solutions that combine hosting service plus some script that allows you to build your own site/store. That could be e-commerce shopping cart or software to create informational site. So that is a kind of renting service: you get hosting service as well as pay for the right to use some script for some amount of time.

As alternative it is possible to obtain similar script for a life-time and use it on any server. And still there are 2 types of customers: those who choose to obtain the solution and those who 'rent' it.

So what are the reasons to choose hosted solutions? What do you think? Does the choice depend on business volume? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I'd always be hesitant to use a fully hosted ecommerce solution. If you host it yourself then you're in full control. What if they go out of business and you've based your whole operation around the hosted service? Although if you have limited experience and aren't expecting serious growth then it could be a good way to get started. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by CI-Andrew View Post
    I'd always be hesitant to use a fully hosted ecommerce solution. If you host it yourself then you're in full control. What if they go out of business and you've based your whole operation around the hosted service? Although if you have limited experience and aren't expecting serious growth then it could be a good way to get started. Just my 2 cents.
    Thank you! To my mind that is the most common reason why customers would choose hosted solutions - because they would like the company to take care of the store setup. Anyway I believe when business grows, the owner would like to handle everything himself (or hire dedicated support/development company) and thus use the solution that 'belongs' to him.

These are my thoughts. It would be great to listen to other opinions, thanks!