apollo hosting deleted our website and can't restore sql

We have been with Apollo hosting for 5 or so years. 10 days ago, our entire site went down. After waiting around 4 days and hours of dealing with tech support, they got a shell of our website back up. Their excuse for deleting it was that they ran a script on their servers that was corrupt, which in error, deleted our site.

They were unable to restore our database, SQL, php, search functions, etc. as they said they deleted them and did not have a back up as databases took up too much room on servers!! And they cannot restore what is no longer there. We have to rebuild our database all over again, hundreds of hours of work with property descriptions and photos, forms, etc.

After this experience with Apollo hosting our fear level is high and our trust level is low.

We need help with finding a new web host. Currently paying Apollo $ 30. mo for shared hosting.

We need Front Page extension, pph,SQL. Want web host that backs up entire website daily on tape that stores off-site. I have researched some on web hosting review sites and better business bureau online, and find many complaints for various webhosts.

We would appreciate help and advice.

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident that happened with your host. I am astonished to find that they mentioned that they didn't had SQL backup mechanism in place since it takes up too much space. However, there are quite a few good hosts that have daily backup mechanism in place and I'd recommend you to browse through this windows hosting forum section to shortlist some hosts that match your requirement/budget. Be sure to check their reviews by using search feature on top right corner of the page.

Good luck!

- Rick
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

apollo hosting problems

Thank you Rick for your reply. We have been living through a website owners worst nightmare with Apollo hositing.

We were always "told" they backed up website. They haven't even actually come out and apologized for all they have done.

To have your entire website deleted in error by a host is beyond the imagination.

I would love to hear from someone that had a large website, using Front page extensions, SQL, php, lots of photos, automated forms and search pages that can recommend their web hosts.

I think we want to go with VPS with dedicated share and stay away from shared hosting.

Thats the reason i dont trust these BS Hosts. You should went with a Dedicated Server rather then going with $4 hosts.

Always beware of those type of hosts. Always do your own backups, even if they say they do them. It's ashame that you lost all that data. Perhaps a dedicated server with RAID 1 would better suite you?

A good example of not trusting your webhost to backup your data. You should always have your own backup routine and disaster recovery plan. I agree that a dedicated server is the way to do if you are really hosting anything of value.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima VPS View Post
    A good example of not trusting your webhost to backup your data. You should always have your own backup routine and disaster recovery plan. I agree that a dedicated server is the way to do if you are really hosting anything of value.
    Although dedicated servers have been pulled down and had hard drives deleted in error.

However I have to agree with you in creating and implementing your own disaster recovery plan, as this can dramatically increase your chances of surviving an error by either yourself or your host, no matter what type of hosting you use.

Yes any setup is vulnerable to data loss but unless you are paying someone thousands per month for a 100% backup solution (tape drives, offsite multiple storage) then you really need to take responsibility. It amazes me that $10 per month client expect their host to do all this (don't be fooled by what the host has on their website). Enterprise clients are different of course.

You are in the minority then. No serious business is going to entrust their backup solution to a $10 per month plan.

I can recommend appliedi.net. I host with them and have for many years. They run full backups daily on the web servers and database servers, not to say you shouldn't create atleast weekly backups of both your web content and databases however. Another plus is you can always talk to a real person, 24x7.

If I was running a site like that, I would go with a VPS or a Dedi.

It is not reasonable to expect any hoster to take responsibility for your own web site. You should completely ignore any backup system the hoster might claim to have since the ultimate responsibility for your own site is you.

In any case the copy of the site on the host other than live data in the database should only be a mirror of the main site that you maintain on your own computer.

Then the only thing you need to transfer from the host on a regular basis is a database backup. Everything else is maintained on your own computer which you then mirror to the host. This is just really basic stuff that a surprising number of people seem to forget.

If you are unsure if your development, testing and deployment computers have the latest software, you can use the Microsoft Web Platform Installer 2.0 RC:

http://www.microsoft.com/Web/downloads/platform.aspx

This useful installer will scan your computer and install everything you select so that all the various production computers are working at the same rev level. Then you just need to select a hoster that is also current and you are good to go...

Some info on PHP for Windows hosting:

http://php.iis.net/

Hi

I agree with allot of these comments, your host really should of had a backup, in disaster recovery these guys would be in allot of trouble, clearly they are a none serious hosts, its not fair on hosts like ourselves and some others on these forums who are professional hosts with enterprise backups to loose business over these cheap nasty hosts!

I guess you get what you pay for!
    Cyber Host Pro Ltd - over 10 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers
    ★ WhiteLabel OnAPP Cloud VPS Reseller Program, Failover, 10Gbit SFP+ Dual SAN storage with Cpanel, Plesk & Windows server.
    www.cyberhostpro.com - UK Call Centre + 24x7 Online Chat

You should always, always keep backup of your data, regardless if the host does backup or not. Most hosting companies put on their terms they are absolutely no responsable for data loss. Even if they have backups stuff can go wrong even with backups.

Second rule is NEVER trust an Overselling company. Apollo hosting oversells. 20$ a month for 400GB space and 3000 GB transfer is what you get on a 150$/month dedicated server.

You cannot expect them to make backups of the 400GB data on a offsite server, give 3000 GB transfer and even earn money with 20$ a month.

99% of oversellers dont do any backup of their data, if they do its a simple file backup, never includes database.

The joke is on you for trusting the data.

If you pay 20$ a month lets say for 5GB of data and a full 100GB premium transfer, its probably because the hosts is earning enought money to pay their bills, and make income with you and you can expect them to even have a full backup of your databases.

In the end you get exactly the kind of service for what you pay. Most oversellers lie, and thats a simple fact when they market a 3000GB transfer plan for 20$ a month which you dont get on any carrier or datacenter in the US. In the same minute as a provider if you now you cannot provide what you sell to each of your clients that pay 20$ you are already attracting clients based on the lie, since they believe honestly they can use that which is not the case. So I would never trust a company like that when they say they have backups. Its the same when you ask on their chat if they will give you the 3000 GB a month and they say "Yes, sure, allot of our clients use their full transfer". But when you get to 80 GB they suspend with a CPU abuse, which maybe isnt the case but you just had tons of software download.

Honestly, they cant provide it to each of their clients but they still charge the full amount without any pennies missing each month which is not honest.

If I cannot provide something to all my clients I will not sell it. Its simple and straight like that. Some oversellers cannot even provide it to 5% of their clients at the same time.

What easy comes easy goes. They want fast money and they think selling big accounts is the easiest way. And it is, but its also the easiest way to blow up your reputation as a company.

I dont want to turn this into an overseling vs not topic but you can expect bad service for 1 buck companies and you normally get a very high level of service in companies where you pay more.

Its the same with cars. You cannot expect to have a BMW for the price of a cheap Honda.
    Last edited by nibb; 06-25-2009 at 04:46 AM.

It amazes me that $10 per month client expect their host to do all this (don't be fooled by what the host has on their website).
    Yes, there is a big problem as I research new hosts, how do you believe what they have on their websites?

I am not sure I understand the rest of what you posted?....

We were paying Apollo $ 30.00 month for hosting. Apollo Hosting deleted our entire website in error, Apollo ran a corrupted script on their servers that totally deleted our site. They said the script they ran that was corrupted, as it turns outs, was to delete non paid website customers. As our account was an autopay and always current, it certainly was not us.

Then we were told that they did not back up database files because it took up too much room on their servers. We were only using a very small portion of space we were actually paying for, so make little sense. We really do not know right now what is happening, as we are again awaiting to hear from the manager.

If you can't believe what a webhost puts up as to what they offer and what they do, how do you find a good host? It all sounds so bait and switch: promise anything but deliver only what you want?

Quote Originally Posted by allenjo View Post
    If you can't believe what a webhost puts up as to what they offer and what they do, how do you find a good host? It all sounds so bait and switch: promise anything but deliver only what you want?
    Unfortunately this is how 90% of hosts operate. Your best bet is to take full responsibility for backups and check their integrity daily weekly. $30 per month might seem like a lot but its not. Not in the scope of business type hosting. Some hosts will have automated tasks which backup the data to an offsite location where you can access and check it when you need to.

Yes, there is a big problem as I research new hosts, how do you believe what they have on their websites?

I am not sure I understand the rest of what you posted?....

We were paying Apollo $ 30.00 month for hosting. Apollo Hosting deleted our entire website in error, Apollo ran a corrupted script on their servers that totally deleted our site. They said the script they ran that was corrupted, as it turns outs, was to delete non paid website customers. As our account was an autopay and always current, it certainly was not us.

Then we were told that they did not back up database files because it took up too much room on their servers. We were only using a very small portion of space we were actually paying for, so make little sense. We really do not know right now what is happening, as we are again awaiting to hear from the manager.

One of the purposes of the forums here at WHT is to sort out information on hosters that is more reliable than what you see on the net and from my experience if you are willing to spend the time to poke around and read posts here at WHT you will get excellent return on investment for that effort in terms of reviews and good hosts to look at.

As for the backup scenario, it never makes sense to rely on the hoster for that as long as the web site is actually important to you and is not just a toy. If you follow proper development and deployment practice as I outlined in a previous post, you will not have any problems. This issue is 100% your fault.

There are all sorts of possible disaster scenarios that can happen even to the best and most expensive hosting that can result in the loss of your website. I don't know how many ways I can say that this problem is your fault and you must develop a backup plan of your own to deal with data loss and recovery no matter what hoster you select.

99% of oversellers dont do any backup of their data, if they do its a simple file backup, never includes database.
    How do you ascertain if a web hosting company is an overseller? Or verify their server's capacity?

Since as one web hoster posted here that you cannot trust what a hoster advertises on their websites?

How do you ascertain if a web hosting company is an overseller? Or verify their server's capacity?

Since as one web hoster posted here that you cannot trust what a hoster advertises on their websites?
    You will see many "rules of thumb" based on the word "unlimited" or the price etc but in fact there is absolutely no way to know this other than guessing by those hints or by reputation. The forums here at WHT is the best method to sort that out in reality.

You can either use the search at WHT or else post a topic like "I'm thinking of using host abcd, are they an overseller?"

One of the purposes of the forums here at WHT is to sort out information on hosters that is more reliable than what you see on the net and from my experience if you are willing to spend the time to poke around and read posts here at WHT you will get excellent return on investment for that effort in terms of reviews and good hosts to look at.

As for the backup scenario, it never makes sense to rely on the hoster for that as long as the web site is actually important to you and is not just a toy. If you follow proper development and deployment practice as I outlined in a previous post, you will not have any problems. This issue is 100% your fault.

There are all sorts of possible disaster scenarios that can happen even to the best and most expensive hosting that can result in the loss of your website. I don't know how many ways I can say that this problem is your fault and you must develop a backup plan of your own to deal with data loss and recovery no matter what hoster you select.
    I don't think this could have been said any better. It's your business at risk. I'm quite sure their TOS limits any damages to the cost of the hosting itself - which hardly touches the value of your data.
    ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers

Even if you pick a host with the best reputation you can find and you pay $200 a month or something, if you fail to manage your own backup, you risk a repeat of your disaster for any of a million reasons.

A year from now we will see your post "I'm paying $200 a month but my hoster was just bought by bigger-hoster and they changed the backup policy without telling me and now I've lost everything anyone know of a really really really super reliable hoster?"

If they offer Unlimited anything they are overselling. If their prices are under $5 per month they are overselling. It's not that hard to spot.

I hope teh OP recoveres from this. Unfortunately it is quite common. But it's one thing for a client to make a mistake and delete a databases and the host not have a backing and another for the host to delete the website and databases and not have a backup. That is pretty incredible.

But once bitten, twice shy. You now know that you simply must do your own backups. I don't agree with Ultima's statement that 90% of host blatantly lie about what they provide. I think the percentage of quality honest hosts is a lot higher but you should never count on it. Even if backups are done it can be very hard to verify the integrity of backups. Sometimes everything seems fine and you go to restore something and it is incomplete. This is just the nature of the software.

Personally I try and download our important database sql files to my PC once a week just to add another level of security but I often forget (must do it now actually!).
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Thank you to all who posted helpful advice.

Reading these forums is quite helpful. Prior to our nightmare of Apollo Hosting deletion of our entire website, none of us in my company had any idea of how lawless the webhosting business actually is. One webhost I researched had corporate filing in Delaware, but said actual office in Boston, and tech support at their company said main office probably was in Arizona, but said all over, he wasn't sure. I never got answer to where their servers were located or my other questions.

It seems lawless to me that TOS can be changed without any notice to a customer. Seems a simple email might be necessary to notify a customer???

I have several companies that I will research, and have found those of you posting here with actual good advice invaluable.

I found out recently my dad has Apollo Hosting. He got them 3 years ago after what he said was extensive research. He actually didn't do very much but when we discuss it he gets a tad bit upset. He paid them 5 years up front at a rate of 15 dollars a month. For just shared hosting. For 2 GB of Bandwidth and I'm not sure what amount of storage space. He says how they help him install/run php and some cgi and he mentions their uptime guarantees and whatnot. Basically anything that is pretty much standard when you are looking for hosting. I still can't believe anyone would decide to pay for 5 years or make that kind of commitment. He has two years left, which is why he can't switch to my small hosting company when it's up. But yeah, it just seems Apollo is kind of messed up in general. They've updated their plans, and haven't updated his at all. Also, I don't know about you guys, but IMO their website looks like complete junk. =)

I don't think its the providers fault that your Dad signed up for 5 years. It is strange to have this option though. Why can't he just cancel the payments if he wants out?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima VPS View Post
    I don't think its the providers fault that your Dad signed up for 5 years. It is strange to have this option though. Why can't he just cancel the payments if he wants out?
    He paid 5 years in advance. 3 years ago. At 15 dollars a month. Basically I think this particularly provider is geared towards taking advantage of people with little experience or knowledge in dealing with hosting services. As far as I can see, not many people have been happy with them anyways.

For 30 bucks, good luck.

Always, always, backup your own site. It's just too easy, and saves you miles of headaches.
    Never trust anyone to backup your site except for yourself. Even if you pay a backup service, always have one yourself, if you value your data and / or customers. It's only the right thing to do.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Apollo Hosting sold to Endurance International

Apollo Hosting sold to Endurance International, that company that operates using around 20 different names, including yourhostingaccount.com, accountsupport.com, enduranceinternational.com, fatcow.com, bizland.com, maileig.com, ipower.com, ipowerweb.net, and a number of others last week.

Apollo was a small company that had less than 20 employees, and over the years grew progressively worse, and I guess after deleting so many of their websites by error last month, Tamara Fields, the owner, just wanted out of the webhost business.

I feel badly for your dad that he has paid up front for so long.
    We cancelled with Endurance whom we never had a contract with, as they bought Apollo July 28, 2009, and they are charging us a cancellation fee, for our choice not to do business with them.

Apollo became a nightmare of unbelievable problems, all caused internally by gross ineptness, and never an apology or a credit offered, and the companies that Endurance runs, garner many bad reviews.

If your dad wanted to cancel they would charge him a cancellation fee and probably not give him any refund. I would be interested to know how he fares in the coming weeks with Endurance International running his website. They left me on hold 20 minutes on my first call to cancel and 25 minutes on a second call. And then it took over 20 minutes to cancel once I got a live voice. That is their customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldSon View Post
    I found out recently my dad has Apollo Hosting. He got them 3 years ago after what he said was extensive research. He actually didn't do very much but when we discuss it he gets a tad bit upset. -

But yeah, it just seems Apollo is kind of messed up in general. They've updated their plans, and haven't updated his at all. Also, I don't know about you guys, but IMO their website looks like complete junk. =)