South England

Boot error - no vista disc

When I start up my laptop I receive an error of

File: Boot\BCD

Status OXC000014C

It says that a boot file is damaged and to insert the windows installation disc - now the problem is, mine came pre-installed so I have no such disc. Is there a way of fixing this that doesn't involve paying for the software just to repair it?

Milton keynes
    If the boot file is damaged, I think there is no way except Windows Vista CD.

You can download and burn a copy of the Vista Recovery Disk using the link below.
    Boot from it and try the 'Repair Startup' option.

Microsoft seems to have realized this problem, and have thankfully made a recovery disc for this purpose. It contains the contents of the Windows Vista DVD's "recovery center," as we've come to refer to it. It cannot be used to install or reinstall Windows Vista, and just serves as a Windows PE interface to recovering your PC. Technically, one could re-create this installation media with freely-downloadable media from Microsoft (namely the Microsoft WAIK kit, a multi-gigabyte download); but it's damn-decent of Microsoft to make this available to Windows' users who might not be capable of creating such a thing on their own.

NeoSmart Technologies is hosting a copy of the Windows Vista Recovery Disc for your convenience. It is a 120 MiB download, and in the standard ISO format.

download and run hirens boot cd.

Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 06-23-2009 at 05:12 PM.
    Life's what you make it.