A question about editing a Flash template

My friend asked me to help him design a site in Flash using a template he purchased. I've never done anything with Flash before, but he insisted on Flash so I figured I'd learn it as I went along.

Here's the site:

The template folder included a bunch of html files, a .swf file, jpegs, etc., and a large source folder with all of the .psd files and such. It didn't include a .fla file which from my research it seems is needed to edit the Flash template. The only other way is to decompress it, which I'm guessing they don't want me to do, but I did for research purposes. The results weren't very good, the file was output with a bunch of errors but anyway my point is...

Without a .fla file how am I supposed to edit the template? It seems like it would be virtually useless to own this template if it can't be edited. Am I supposed to use the source files, .psd files to build my own .swf file? If so, wouldn't it be easier to just include an .fla file if they're going to grand me editing rights? I know I probably sound stupid asking this, but if it were an HTML template I could have just swapped out images and text in seconds so this whole Flash thing is a little confusing to me. I don't even want to change the animations or anything, just the images and text, which I can't imagine is that complex a task.
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 06-29-2009 at 01:20 AM.

Yep, it definitely helped. Thank you very much!