* Hurricane Electric rocks.

I pay $24.95/month for their shared hosting service. They do not provide a control panel or anything "fancy". I get SSH and a MySQL instance, and that's all I need.

Last night, one of the pages hosted there got massively RT'd on twitter, Livestream, and several other social media sites, producing over 10,000 PVs within minutes and peaking at over ~2000 concurrent users online.

Not a single slowdown, no lag at all, didn't skip a beat.
    I also don't recall a single downtime since I started hosting there.

Support replies within minutes, even if I'm emailing at 4 in the morning. The only thing I don't like is that you can only properly host one domain.

Domain reported to mods.

Domain received and hosted at Hurricane Electric.

producing over 10,000 PVs within minutes and peaking at over ~2000 concurrent users online.

Not a single slowdown, no lag at all, didn't skip a beat.
    I also don't recall a single downtime since I started hosting there.
    Good to see that there's quality behind their offer.

The only thing I don't like is that you can only properly host one domain.
    I see this on their site, about the $25 package:

* The additional domains feature is only avalable on the version 3 platform. If you're an existing customer, you may upgrade to a version 3 server from witin the admin interface.
    Are you saying there's an issue with that ability?

You can add more zones (DNS hosting), but AFAIK it's up to you to write .htaccess rules to silently mod_rewrite to, say, public_html/othersites/whatever.com/ based on http host.

Adding a domain from the interface doesn't appear to create a VirtualHost, just adds a zonefile.

By "version 3" it doesn't mean plan 3 - they had an old control panel a while back where you couldn't even add other zones. I think version 3 means the new version of the control panel
    Last edited by quantumphysics; 06-21-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Impressive, I wasn't aware that they even offered shared hosting service.

Definitely worth looking into, that's something I've always wanted in a host, someone with just plain and simple barebones good service.

Thanks for the review.

I assume the number of the domain names depends on the chosen web hosting service account and if you need you can ask if the web hosting service provider can provide that for you maybe for some additional fee or simple upgrade account

Cheers
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

HE has 3 different "version" servers... that's nomenclature more often used internally as the customer doesn't necessarily have any idea which they might be on (if they are an older customer). Any new customer would be put on a "version 3" server unless they specifically requested older stuff.

The text based control panel is the same regardless of what actual server hosts your sites.

The system should automatically create any redirects for you within 24 hours... and the older method of using mod_rewrite to host alternate or sub-domains shouldn't be necessary (I haven't actually used the newer multi-domain features... I only use a he account for backup image file serving.)

The limitation of of the added domains through their system is they are not setup for email services, for that you'd need to use Google Apps or redirect addresses at your registrar.

Their $1/mo account is also a very cost effective solution for many basic web sites.
    Daved @ Lightwave Networking, LLC.
    AS1426 https:/www.lightwave.net
    Primary Bandwidth: EGIHosting (NLayer, NTT, HE, Cogent)
    Xen PV VPS Hosting

Thanks for sharing your impressive experiences with your provider. Happy to see that you are with your best provider. Follow up the review in future.

It would be interesting to know what their platform is based on. Does your site use PHP/MySQL at all or is it static?
    Darren Lingham - UK Webhosting Ltd. - (0800) 024 2931
    Tsohost.co.uk - Quality UK Windows and Linux hosting since 2003
    UK WordPress Hosting - Fast, easy, cloud based WordPress Hosting

The version 3 (current) servers are based on an Ubuntu linux distribution.

Wow, very good and reliable web hosting provider.

Thanks for the great review. That's quite impressive.