How do I know what specs can I host how many accounts.

Hi all,

My business and all customers reside in Singapore.

I host websites and emails for SMEs (typical customers are < 10 users) with typical accounts allocated with 500MB space(simple html websites) and 5GB transfer.

The business is inceasing monthly by 70 new companies.

I am intending to get a server from Gigenet with the rough specs below:

Specs:
    Single Processor Quad Core Xeon 5504 - 2.00GHz (Nehalem) - 4MB cache
    6GB DDR3 RAM
    6TB transfer
    1TB RAID 1 drives

By doing simple maths, I should be able to host about 1200 websites on this server. But in actual fact, how many should I host in order not to oversell.

Stability/uptime is of utmost importance.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

It's hard to say depending on how much active each site uses and how many e-mails each client receives, since that may put a bigger strain on your spam filter. The best thing you can do is to make an educated guess, though I would probably go with smaller drives and RAID-5(3drives min.) or RAID-10(4drives min.).
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

To estimate the number of accounts you host on that server is going to be difficult as it depends on how many websites are static VS dynamic (running databases, scripts etc). This would impact the resource usage on the server for each website/account. I would say a safe number would be around 500-600 comfortably without any problems.

Also for your hard drives try to get SAS drives if possible, they are faster (100% faster than SATA drives - the 15K RPM SAS drives that is) and either get it in a RAID5 or RAID10 configuration, with the latter recommended configuration.

Cheers,
    Jason

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Assuming all the websites are just static html sites, and number of emails each company send/receive is less than 500, will I be able to host about 700 sites on a server with such specs?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You should be able to host around 700 static sites, but when you do see load you would have to split them across another server. I have seen over 1000+ sites on a Dual Core machine with 4GB RAM but the performance isn't the greatest. You will have to monitor the server performance in tandem with the number of sites you have and take the appropriate decision.

Have a look at www.google.com/a if it is ok for corporate emailing.
    Scott - HyperBIG.com
    Unmetered Bandwidth Dedicated Servers USA Budget Dedicated Hosting ♦ ♦ 1Gbps Unmetered Dedicated Servers

Yes this is very possible.

Normally, experienced large scale hosting providers hosts about 1000-2000 shared hosting clients on this type of servers. But you need to be experienced and should know what you are doing in order to achieve this.

By doing simple maths, I should be able to host about 1200 websites on this server. But in actual fact, how many should I host in order not to oversell.
    I recommend that you host about 500-600 accounts to be safe than sorry
    Last edited by SkyNetHosting; 07-16-2009 at 05:17 AM.
    [DC'S] SINGAPORE. AUSTRALIA. JAPAN. INDIA. CHINA HK. USA. UK. NETHERLANDS. GERMANY. SOUTH AFRICA
    MyCompanyWeb™: Start Your Own Professional Web Hosting Company in 24 Hours
    SkyNetHosting.Net - SEO Hosting. Reseller Hosting. Shared Hosting & VPS - 14 Years in Business!
    Dedicated IP + SSL + WHMCS + Domain Reseller + Master Reseller + 100% SSD + End User Support and More!

It should do upto 750 accounts easily provided you dont have any accounts with unusual amount of hits. The best way would be to constantly monitor the server load and offload accounts to a new server when the average load on the server goes above >5.
    Quote Originally Posted by xiaopapa View Post
    Hi all,

My business and all customers reside in Singapore.

I host websites and emails for SMEs (typical customers are < 10 users) with typical accounts allocated with 500MB space(simple html websites) and 5GB transfer.

The business is inceasing monthly by 70 new companies.

I am intending to get a server from Gigenet with the rough specs below:

Specs:
    Single Processor Quad Core Xeon 5504 - 2.00GHz (Nehalem) - 4MB cache
    6GB DDR3 RAM
    6TB transfer
    1TB RAID 1 drives

Stability/uptime is of utmost importance.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    James B
    EzeeloginSetup your Secure Linux SSH Gateway.
    |Manage & Administer Multiple Linux Servers Quickly & Securely.

600-700 would be reasonable, in my head.

As prior mentioned, it is better to be safe then sorry!

About 600 sounds like a good number. You don't want to overfill the server and then start having problems.
    Fully customized hosting to your specific needs, no general plans found here!
    'Read before you click I agree' - J

Interesting question. As the others said, it will depends in how your clients use their accounts, hows active they are.