Thread: HostNine...

HostNine...

I've been looking at Hostnine recently, they offer a service which is slightly different from everyone elses by using their own control panel which sort of connects their world wide servers... Fantastic idea, but I was thinking...

Say you had a reseller account with them and had 10 customers, 5 of them were based in Asia and you decided to move them over to your own dedicated/VPS server, does anyone know how easy the transfer would be since you wouldn't have access to WHM?

I actually looked at HostNine and thought the same thing, I guess great minds think alike. I actually ran into an issue a while when one of my customers wanted to move from Dr######t (Which has its own self developed control panel). I assisted the customer and it was a manual process (Download all files fia FTP and upload them to the new server, recreate the database, migrate the database info, change all PHP paths).

It was not fun, but can be done. In this case the person had a WordPress Blog, CMS and a Forum with less then 40 members and 200 posts.
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks

This is a question you should really direct to H9 themselves, but I believe their reseller accounts are still based on cPanel so you could presumably grab a full backup from there, copy it to the new server and restore. It's a method that's traditionally been more reliable than the automated WHM-to-WHM transfer anyway.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

The only problem with the cPanel Backup way is that you require the username and password for every domain to transfer over, which is a nightmare! Especially if you had over 30 domains.

I would think that if you know your client's passwords then you can initiate the back ups to move the accounts. But if you do not know this info then I would think the only way to transfer out the accounts would be to either reset the passwords or to contact your client's to provide them.
    Reseller Hosting - Unlimited Windows & Linux - Reseller And Shared Hosting Available..
    FFmpeg Enabled Plans, Seo Hosting [Different C-Class Ips], 24 Hour Live Chat & Ticket Support.

Affordable and Reliable Hosting backed by true support!!.
    Seo Hosting

I've always heard good things about HostNine but I've never personally been a customer of theirs.
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

Quote Originally Posted by RH-Scott View Post
    The only problem with the cPanel Backup way is that you require the username and password for every domain to transfer over, which is a nightmare! Especially if you had over 30 domains.
    Thats the cool thing about the WHM Transfer Options, Accounts can be transfered at the Root Level, Reseller Level and Account Level. And you only need the username and password of the Root, Reseller or Account.

It was also a nightmare just to transfer that one, but it can be done
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks

Not complicated at all. They have also another R-panel where you choose where do you want to migrate.

Only one problem - H9 sucks. I am with them right now and having tons of problem with email NOT being delivered and the backup sucks big time. That's why I am here- looking for new server.

Have a good one.

I'd recommend bouncing this off of their staff as foobic suggested. HostNine's been around for a long time and has built up a nice reputation, I'm sure they'll be happy to work with you if a solution exists.
    Corey Northcutt | Northcutt
    Competitive inbound marketing with a hosting industry competency.
    Social | Content | Optimization | Outreach

Host9 have there own forum,
    it's as good a place as any to ask presales questions.